Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
"players don't play a design doc.."

Mhm, that's why both PoEs play exactly like design documents.

Latelistener

Arcane
What's this promotion is all about? Is Sawyer ready to become the CEO of Obsidian for Microsoft and lead it into the glorious and balanced future for all eternity?

44621705_1887623898024900_377369128140275712_n.jpg

And possibly make a game inspired by Darklands in the meantime?

The Bishop

Cipher
Why is anyone surprised with "people don't play design doc" quote? This was Sawyer's design ideology from day one on PoE. The whole thing about combating degenerate gameplay and how he observed people not playing games the originally intended way, all of that originates from this idea.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Yes, he says that, but the final result, especially in PoE1, haven't played 2 enough yet, is based entirely on dry theorizing and plays like designed by aliens as a result. Don't get me started on degenerate gameplay, he removed one such thing only to replace it with another. My experience with history of art has taught me to never trust the artist at his word unless proven otherwise.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Josh made degenerate gameplay part of the game mechanics in PoE 2. I can give examples.

Edit: I'm sure his intentions were good, but that's how it ended up being.

The Bishop

Cipher
Yes, he says that, but the final result, especially in PoE1, haven't played 2 enough yet, is based entirely on dry theorizing and plays like designed by aliens as a result. Don't get me started on degenerate gameplay, he removed one such thing only to replace it with another. My experience with history of art has taught me to never trust the artist at his word unless proven otherwise.
If PoE has anything to do with dry theorizing, then it's dry theorizing of a madman. It's a pretty messy game that hops from one thing to another without ever giving any of its themes proper attention. I mean I want to see the rationale for putting a quest about worker's right to affordable prostitution into the game. If there's a theory behind all this, I bet it's not a very rigorous one.

IMO most of everything you see in PoE is simply a result of very small but very expensive Californian team burning through their kickstarter money in a flash and then shoving what they managed to produce through the door. People like to hate on Sawyer, but in their vanity they fail to recognize his genius. The guy managed to fool almost everybody and muddy up the water so well, that when PoE came out, everyone was obsessed with how they don't like the systems, or the story, or how you have to block chokepoints etc. And nobody managed to spot the elephant in the room: that there was so very little game in front of them. Density of content in PoE is ridiculously low. And most of that content went into the game without any iterations. Calling the end result "dry" should probably be taken as a compliment.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Yup. Bell wrote a couple of beautiful tracks for PoE 1, but most of the soundtrack was bland, forgettable elevator music. He is so inconsistent it's almost hard to believe that he really was the main composer and didn't just outsource most of the soundtrack to his deaf neighbor.

And the less to be said about Deadfire soundtrack the better. The only memorable tracks are variations on PoE1 tracks, and the shanties. It was a half-assed job, and that's just not good enough.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
This is a rather good theme from Deadfire:

The thing with most of these tracks is that they don't surprise you. You can tell exactly where they're going after the first 10-15 seconds.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire

Still think Sawyer is not an Austrian fascist? When he is so tied to his Catholic and Austrian heritage that he went so far to learn German and has "Graz" on his name? Reads books about the Empress in German? Has Graz (City in Austria) in his name?

Sawyer is a Austrian supremacist. He hamfists his racial theories about Atlanto-Hyperborean origins of Germanic Aryan race and their destined dominance whenever possible to his games.

Last edited:

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Still think Sawyer is not an Austrian fascist? When he is so tied to his Catholic and Austrian heritage that he went so far to learn German and has "Graz" on his name? Reads books about the Empress in German? Has Graz (City in Austria) in his name?

Sawyer is a Austrian supremacist. He hamfists his racial theories about Atlanto-Hyperborean origins of Germanic Aryan race and their destined dominance whenever possible to his games.

I can just seem him bicycling around singing about his beloved Kaiser Franz.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom