Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
"creators of [...] Baldur's Gate"

k, thanks!

conan_edw

Arbiter
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
AP? oh, I always had the idea that he never touched it because of the Alien project :M

Quillon

Arcane
Today we could talk with designer Josh Sawyer, author of Icewind Dale, Fallout New Vegas, Alpha Protocol or Pillars of Eternity. Dlouhatánský interview appears in one of the parts of our vidcastu ;) @jesawyer

Pepiks!

Looks about 45 minutes long.

@1:41:37 Talking about NV base game and saying "with the direction of myself, JohnGonzo & MCA, helped keep it(all the different designers & writers on the game) together" yet MCA acts like he has nothing to do with the base game except for doing what he told to.

@1:51:05 What would have happened if Parker hadn't stopped Josh? :P

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.pcgamesn.com/pillars-of-eternity-2/obsidian-interview

The full Obsidian interview – building worlds and Pillars of Eternity’s future
We talked to the master worldbuilders to see if they would tell us how they do it

Obsidian-interview-900x507.jpg

What makes Obsidian the leading studio in the world for, well, worlds? The beloved RPG developer has built a reputation for creating distant lands so coherent and evocative you start to believe in them more than your own childhood memories.

Whether working with Star Wars, South Park, and Fallout, or inventing their own realms for Tyranny and Pillars of Eternity, Obsidian has excelled at taking us to other places.

It’s easy to imagine staff at the California studio working in service to a huge lore tome – a Silmarillion written specifically for that game, filled with the answer to every possible question, from the tread type of a goblin’s boot to the Voices of Nerat’s relationship with his mother.

Rather than continue to speculate, we decided to just ask them, digging into the process of PC gaming’s finest worldbuilders with narrative designer Alex Scokel. The picture that emerges is one of meticulous yet surprisingly malleable storytelling, as Obsidian often tears pages out of its game bibles – or scribbles notes in the margins.

Say you’re starting work on a new Obsidian game. When does worldbuilding begin?

Alex Scokel, designer: It depends on the project. Sometimes you have a specific goal you’re working towards, and worldbuilding is the answer to that goal. Sometimes you’re building an experience where the worldbuilding is very important to the basic systems of gameplay. It can be happening to an extent concurrently with the initial designs.

It can vary. Part of that involves how important the narrative is to the experience – and at Obsidian it’s often quite important. But it never really ends. The worldbuilding continues even after the game is locked down and out the door.

How early in production do you lock down the lore?

We often do a lot of preparatory work. For example, on Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire, we were designing the culture of the Deadfire – the history and factions that exist in the area – before full production began. But all that stuff is pretty flexible until the game is out the door. You don’t want to paint yourself into a corner – things don’t necessarily work as well in-game as in theory.

When you talk about the design bible, you have the sense that it’s this immutable thing that every idea is in service to, and that’s not it at all. We actually have an internal wiki system, essentially. It’s very editable, and it’s served us well in terms of making sure we don’t get too married to ideas we haven’t already shipped. Once an idea is in the game and out in front of people it’s much more solid. It’s not something we want to edit because that would undermine the player experience.

How much does that process change between games?

One of the big things about Deadfire that sets it apart from the original Pillars is that it takes place in an island chain, so there’s a level of isolation to each of the spaces there. That pretty heavily informed the way we went about making these independent villages a bit more isolated. It allowed us to create their histories in a more of a vacuum. While they’re influenced by the various factions throughout the game, they aren’t all deeply interconnected within single nations, the way the original game is.

Has that helped narrative designers take greater ownership of the areas they’re responsible for?

Absolutely. It allows for more flexible storytelling, because you’re not as invested in making sure all the interconnected spaces flow together in a reasonable way, which would be the case on Tyranny, where the various regions impact each other significantly throughout the game. You had situations there where the area designers and narrative designers for each region had to be in constant contact.

That’s not the case in Deadfire – we had a bit more freedom to embrace spaces and not worry much about the way it impacts the things around it. I think that’s a strength and a weakness overall from a storytelling perspective, but it worked really well for Deadfire.

Tyranny’s world is fundamentally unfamiliar. Eora in Pillars started off familiar but has become more unusual as time’s gone on. What are the advantages and disadvantages of those two approaches?

The amount of worldbuilding done for Tyranny in pre-production was probably more significant than for Deadfire. We had big pieces of concept art, key art pieces, which displayed the feeling of the world. Pillars is this lush D&D fantasy, but not as many people on the team were familiar with some of the inspirations for Tyranny – things like Exalted, and this Greco-Roman, post-apocalyptic feeling.

We also had narrative rules we established that were contrary to your standard RPG. There was never going to be a ‘kill ten rats’ quest in Tyranny. From the very moment that the game began it was important that people recognise the player for who they were, and that the player had authority over a lot of the NPCs in that world. The QA team was informed to flag instances where people were talking down to the player and you weren’t given a chance to respond to them or put them in their place.

Do familiar fantasy worlds bring their own struggle? In that case you’re getting everyone to adhere to rules they might assume they already know.

[Laughs] There’s a consistent struggle in the Pillars team between making things that are pie in the sky weird and making things that fit the world. The goal is that the world keepers in the narrative department work together with the experience builders so that things make sense to the player. Sometimes they’re at loggerheads, where you have narrative saying, ‘This can’t happen, that’s not how it works’, but the area designers are saying, ‘We need to do this’.

Eora is a rules-based world, and it’s important to us to keep it internally consistent, because that gives weight to your actions. If a portal can open and orcs fall out then it undermines the player’s agency in the world. It undermines their decisions regarding various settlements and their communities, their own beliefs, and their companions.

What parts of the Pillars world do you consider to still be unexplored?

T
ons of it. We’ve only really explored the Dyrwood and the Deadfire, and theoretically not even the entire Deadfire. I don’t see us making a Deadfire 2 anytime soon, but it’s a huge archipelago, which the game is only part of. We haven’t been to the eastern coast of the Eastern Reach. We haven’t been to the Vailian Republics. That’s why we bring cultures from those places into the space Deadfire takes place in – it’s why there’s a Vailian Trading Company office in Defiance Bay. Because we haven’t had a chance to explore those places.

Do you think your next stories are likely to be set in the Deadfire as DLC, or in a sequel set somewhere else entirely?

The DLC that is remaining is in the Deadfire, although it’s very influenced by other cultures. As for where we go next, that’s still an open question and source of debate within the team, but there are lots of people who have lots of desires about different things that they want to see, and places that intrigue us.

How different is it to worldbuild in a series you inherit?

It’s a complicated question, and it’s not just about the property that you’re working with. It’s a big part about who owns the property and what their investment in that is. For example, ‎Paizo is very protective of Pathfinder. So when working on a Pathfinder property you have to meet their expectations and not diverge too far from what the players expect of a Pathfinder world.

Tyranny was the same way. Even though we created Tyranny, Paradox owns it, and so they had a level of investment about what that world was. There’s always a conversation about what you’re doing and making sure it fits within the boundaries and expectations that the owner has of that property.

Finally, for my news editor – what truth is there to those Microsoft buyout rumours?

Mikey Dowling, PR: Jeremy, you know what my response to that is, and it’s that you should totally listen to Fleetwood Mac’s Rumours album, because it’s still really, really good. Rumours are rumours.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I want to hug TimCain , he is a loveable bear.

Also, who would win in a 1-1 match between Boyarsky and Emil Pagliarulo?

Developer
I think there is a lot MCA doesn't tell us.

Ask whatever you wish, I think the only reason I enter this forum is b/c you actually ask questions (which is rare vs. assumptions) - and sometimes, it's easy for me to forget computer game economics/development may not be transparent to people who follow it.

And it's not limited to here, but....

...always happy to answer/advise/help, although advise/help advice may only be helpful to anyone wanting to enter the industry. Anything else I could offer would solely be in the interests of providing perspective.

lophiaspis

Arbiter
I think PCGamesN is solidly in Obs.'s court, so not surprising. And that's not a slam, just a nod.

Chris Avellone Can you tell us about how the relationship between publisher/developer and game "journalist" works? Is it so simple as buying ads in return for good scores/PR? Is there any explicit agreement or is everything under the table? Do companies have individual journalists "on call" for unofficial PR?

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
i mean, who else? Bioware, or Bethesda?

I mean... if we're going by critical acclaim and commercial success in the last 5 years, then probably CDProjekt, Bethesda, or Larian.

Personally, I don't think there IS a best (PC) RPG studio in the world at the moment (I love Pathfinder:KM, bugs and all, but that's one game)... but I also don't think Obsidian's recent work (anything after F:NV) warrants placement in the upper echelons.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Their tweet also calls Obsidian the best RPG studio in the world.

Sadly, twitter doesn't have a citation needed button.

I think PCGamesN is solidly in Obs.'s court, so not surprising. And that's not a slam, just a nod.

Yet,all that media hype didn't help them sell more than 100-150 thousands copies. It just shows how irrelevant the game journos are.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
At this point Obsidian are the worst RPG devs,Biowaste and bethesda don't even make RPGs anymore. While we still get pretty good RPGs like ELEX,KC,Kingmaker, Expedition:Vikings,Spellforce3 etc etc. Larian could be seen as second shittier,but they do deliver what they promised and their fans are happy about it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom