Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

The Real Fanboy
Sorry, they deleted it pretty quickly tho! I was waiting to see if they'd put it up again today

Edit: I found this which looks like an Italian article that was translated into English by Google!: https://navva.org/italy/italy/roby-atadero-from-obsidian-is-happy-with-the-failure-of-the-title/

and this article too which looks stolen from the original dsogaming article: https://zetgaming.com/2018/11/25/ob...r-lack-of-good-news-makes-me-happy-dsogaming/

Last edited:
The Real Fanboy
0Ln8Fxg.png

VcB80ly.gif

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
The threat of lawsuits (and other conqsequences) is real. I don't understand why you are seeking an official statement by them regarding New Vegas. We all know what happened with New Vegas.

If you want my opinion, Obsidian deserved it. Instead of making their own engines and needing nobody they got used to keep making sequels to successful games from borrowed engines and assets, stuff like KOTOR2, NWN2, New Vegas... Contrary to popular belief, it is not so hard to make your own engine (especially 10-15 years ago), or at least use a licenced 3rd party like Unreal engine. They could have done this, instead they chose to be Bioware's and Bethesda's bitches, and now they complain about it...

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Contrary to popular belief, it is not so hard to make your own engine (especially 10-15 years ago), or at least use a licenced 3rd party like Unreal engine. They could have done this, instead they chose to be Bioware's and Bethesda's bitches, and now they complain about it...
They used UE3 for Alpha Protocol and it was terrible. They made their own engine and were able to use it for Dungeon Siege III and South Park but nothing else because the other games were cancelled and it became far too costly to keep it updated.

Unwanted

SlumLord

Unwanted
Edgy
If you want my opinion
No one does, you nut-licking cockmongler.

Contrary to popular belief, it is not so hard to make your own engine
See, it's pearls of wisdom like this why nobody around here takes you seriously. FYI even a crappy isometric engine with a fixed camera and 2D assets is more than a year's work for a single programmer, and then there's all the other crap like rules implementation, spells/abilities, AI, pathfinding, internal game logic, etc. What you're thinking are platformers and indie sidescrolling garbage, but those games aren't RPGs in the strict sense.

instead they chose to be Bioware's and Bethesda's bitches, and now they complain about it
You're denser than a bag of bricks. Obsidian never whines about being the bitch - they don't mind, because it gets them paid. What they always kvetch about are deadlines, because they've got inept management and horizontal (instead of vertical) game development pipelines coupled with a top-down approach led by chucklefucks like Fergieboy who haven't got a clue about game design. Also, 'iteration', ie., their codeword for 'we changed our feature list mid-way through production, so let's start from square one again!'.

Tard. Familiarize yourself with the topics you want to discuss before opening your drooling retard mouth.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado

Just found this video. I thought I would share it here. Tim talks a lot about how his homosexuality was perceived across the years, that's fairly interesting.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Contrary to popular belief, it is not so hard to make your own engine (especially 10-15 years ago),
You have no idea what you are talking about. Seriously, just stop this, you are digging yourself deeper and deeper.

If making your own engine is so easy, why doesn't everybody do it? Why does everyone use pre-built engines, if it is so easy? Because it takes a lot of time and money to build a full engine from scatch.

Last edited:

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Contrary to popular belief, it is not so hard to make your own engine (especially 10-15 years ago),
You have no idea what you are talking about. Seriously, just stop this, you are digging yourself deeper and deeper.

If making your own engine is so easy, why doesn't everybody do it? Why does everyone use pre-built engines, if it is so easy? Because it takes a lot of time and money to build a full engine from scatch.

Plus, Obsidian did build their own engine, Onyx, and they only used it for Dungeon Siege 3 (and maybe South Park?). doesn't seem to have been worth it for them.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard

Dude, everybody used to do it, 10-15 years ago. Everybody. You don't know fuck all about game development so please spare me some effort to educate you and study some game development history...

Why people aren't doing it now? But they do. EA has their own engine, Bethesda their own (2 actually if you include id), Ubisoft their own, Activision and Blizzard their own, SquareEnix their own etc etc. Everybody have their own engine. Even Atlus have their own engines, and they are japanese formely indies ffs.

Indie developers don't make their own engines because it is cheaper to use a premade engine. It is not "hard", it is just more efficient to spend your development resources on an existing engine.

Obviously if you are making a crowdfunded game it makes no sense to begin developing an engine from scratch because it will take time and you are going to exhaust resources and your audience patience. It is not because it is "hard". There is nothing hard in making a game engine. I personally know students who have made stellar game engines as a side project during their studies... On their own. From scratch...

Why people are so fucking ignorant about game engines yet they keep spewing nonsense is beyond me.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Why people aren't doing it now? But they do. EA has their own engine, Bethesda their own (2 actually if you include id), Ubisoft their own, Activision and Blizzard their own, SquareEnix their own etc etc. Everybody have their own engine. Even Atlus have their own engines, and they are japanese formely indies ffs.
I wonder what is common in those companies? Jeez, maybe because they are multibillion dollar juggernauts and can afford to build a new engine. Even Atlus can be considered a big company, but at the least they are more wealthy than Obsidian. Stop being a fucking retard and act like you know better. You know shit.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
FYI, Atlus is using Ureal Engine 4 for Shin Megami Tensei 5, which is after getting more financial stability by joining SEGA.

Latelistener

Arcane
I don't know about the article, but Stormlands being a launch title is not a new info.

Last edited:

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Really? We always knew it was going to be a Microsoft exclusive, but the planned release date wasn't ever said before AFAIK.

Viata

Arcane
FYI, Atlus is using Ureal Engine 4 for Shin Megami Tensei 5, which is after getting more financial stability by joining SEGA.
Which makes me wonder if after some time every game being done either in Unreal or Unity is a good thing. Of course, I'm ignoring the few devs that have their own game engine.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Which makes me wonder if after some time every game being done either in Unreal or Unity is a good thing. Of course, I'm ignoring the few devs that have their own game engine.
Urquhart: alright Chris, time to make a decision - whose engine are we gonna use for our next game: Unity or Epic?
Avellone: eeerm, Unity?
Urquhart: No, you should've chosen Epic.

Viata

Arcane
Urquhart: alright Chris, time to make a decision - whose engine are we gonna use for our next game: Unity or Epic?
Avellone: eeerm, Unity?
Urquhart: No, you should've chosen Epic.
And that is why he is not working at Obsidian anymore.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
From the press release for The Outer Worlds:

Currently, Obsidian is hard at work on a host of new projects, including the upcoming expansion to Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire, The Outer Worlds, and unannounced titles.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom