Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

Flou

Arbiter
Matt Campbell https://www.linkedin.com/in/matt-campbell-b682a114/ is one of their recent hires. Has history at Inxile and Blind Squirrel Games. Obsidian also hired some other dev from Blind Squirrel Games, but since my search function is limited (for this month) on LinkedIn I can't recheck who it is.

Anyways, they've definately ramped up hiring people as of recent. Project Mississippi is getting it's staff.

Xeon

Augur
Isn't Josh done with PoE games? maybe him or the guy that did Stick of Truth.

I kinda hope its Josh, kinda want to see what he'll make if its not PoE like and hopefully maybe AAA like.

Flou

Arbiter
Isn't Josh done with PoE games? maybe him or the guy that did Stick of Truth.

I kinda hope its Josh, kinda want to see what he'll make if its not PoE like and hopefully maybe AAA like.

Josh said he was done with Pillars of Eternity. Seeing how Brandon Adler is leading the DLC, it's quite likely that the possible finishing act would be lead by Adler.
Josh hopes to create that medieval/tactical rpg of his. From what he's said about it, it would seem like a smaller project for the company.
Parker wants to create Skyrim of his own. Someone claimed that Josh has been playing a lot of Skyrim lately, which could hint that Josh is on board with Parker's game.
Brian Heins is doing something in the shadows or working on Outer Worlds.

Quillon

Arcane
Obs' not making a fucking fantasy game in a row would be too incline(for me), so Mississippi's gotta be fantasy and if so it would be set in Eora/3rd action PoE, right? :P

Xeon

Augur
Studying Skyrim to give feedback on FPS combat? that's kinda funny.

Combat in Outer World kinda reminds me a little bit with Bioshock games (Didn't play them tho so not that sure), wouldn't those games be better for that or maybe some of the gun shooters games if it was for Outer World.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I thought this was because he was being moved to Outer Worlds? And wanted to give feedback on combat from a First Person Perspective or some shit.

Nah, Josh has said that he's involved purely in a consultative capacity as the studio's design director. Avellone said Feargus tried to make Sawyer an executive producer on TOW to pad the bill for Private Division, but apparently that didn't stick. Tim Cain calls him the team autist.

Also according to Avellone, Chris Parker (Obsidian's second in command) wants to use Microsoft's money to make something like Skyrim. Given that Sawyer already directed a Bethesda style game for Obsidian, I'd be very surprised if he's not on this project.

Someone claimed that Josh has been playing a lot of Skyrim lately, which could hint that Josh is on board with Parker's game.

He has, but then he's /always/ playing a lot of Skyrim.

So, he has poor taste in games :(

Josh is a weirdo, but you’re clearly just being edgy considering the man lists Darklands, PoR, and Fallout as his favorite games (as I’m sure you know).

More likely, he’s just being a good capitalist stooge.

Fairfax

Arcane
it seems they're still strict about deadlines.

Crackdown 3 was supposed to release in 2016.
Yeah, but it's an odd case. It seemed to be in development hell, and it was a collaboration between multiple studios. One was bought by Epic, one was closed as a result (most went to Epic), then Sumo became the main developer, with help from another 2-3 studios IIRC.

I was thinking of recent releases that were buggy and/or lacked content at launch, like State of Decay 2, Sea of Thieves, and Halo Wars 2.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Studying Skyrim to give feedback on FPS combat? that's kinda funny.

Combat in Outer World kinda reminds me a little bit with Bioshock games (Didn't play them tho so not that sure), wouldn't those games be better for that or maybe some of the gun shooters games if it was for Outer World.

The combat is wayyy slower.. look at the person playing. This thing makes Fallout 3 Gunplay look punchy and fast paced.
Not that I'm necessarily complaining.. but hold back the shilling until you see more gameplay - hopefully it's just cause it's beta.

(If you watch the stream carefully.. it almost looks like they are using tank controls.. he spins toward his target.. then slowly moves up to them and fires.. either they were trying to take their time so the recording didn't have too much motion blur.. or the player has never used a controller before.. or the game really plays like that, hard to say)

Duraframe300

Arcane
Damn, he knew about Parker way back when

Everyone did due to an anonymous post by an Obsidian employee in a random comment section complaining about Parker and wishing Aliens was still on track
(though Aliens had its own problems before cancellation according to Ziets).
It just depended on how seriously you took it. Not many (including me) really did ofc as the comment was random as fuck. (at the time)

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

Quillon

Arcane
Everyone did due to an anonymous post by an Obsidian employee in a random comment section complaining about Parker and wishing Aliens was still on track

Everyone as in everyone in Codex or mainstream too? I thought he just made a good guess and found it funny :P

Duraframe300

Arcane

Everyone as in everyone in Codex or mainstream too? I thought he just made a good guess and found it funny :P

It wasn't posted on the codex but as said in a random comment section of a review? I think. Multiple people reported on it, inside and outside the codex.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom