Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Harry Potter series would be good if it had only one book or three max. But seven - this is too much.

Simple Simon

Scholar
IMO, Wizard's Hall by Jane Yolen > Harry Potter. It may just be the fact that Harry Potter lasted longer and began getting sloppier/less coherent in the later books. I remember reading an interview with Neil Gaiman, when asked whether he thought Rowling copied his Books of Magic comic, said that he thought they were both ripping off T.H. White.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't think I can trust the honest intentions of a writer who is writing something to make a buck. Because after you have your breakout hit, you are under a very different pressure when writing subsequent books. Better read things that are time-tested and whose authors are long dead and wrote before writing became another part of the "entertainment industry".

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I don't think I can trust the honest intentions of a writer who is writing something to make a buck. Because after you have your breakout hit, you are under a very different pressure when writing subsequent books. Better read things that are time-tested and whose authors are long dead and wrote before writing became another part of the "entertainment industry".
Depends what you want out of a book. You could take this same stance with cinema, and then only watch Hou Hsiao-hsien films, but there's nothing wrong with watching Jurassic Park if your goal is to be entertained. Dostoevsky is going to stand the test of time, but pulp novels are just fine if you only want a gripping plot.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Depends what you want out of a book. You could take this same stance with cinema, and then only watch Hou Hsiao-hsien films, but there's nothing wrong with watching Jurassic Park if your goal is to be entertained. Dostoevsky is going to stand the test of time, but pulp novels are just fine if you only want a gripping plot.
I said that not in the context of reading something "for entertainment" but in the context of becoming an invested fan of a series, the way Harry Potter has/had a die hard following, or the way the GoT show has a following. I think it's stupid to become invested in an IP which is being developed not in order to bring an author's message to you, but in order to "entertain" you for a fee.

Sorry for the comparison but this is like falling in love with your favorite band's singer.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I think it's stupid to become invested in an IP which is being developed not in order to bring an author's message to you, but in order to "entertain" you for a fee.
This is how video games work, doesn't mean they can't be fun and worthwhile. You're being overly cynical if you think that JK Rowling or George RR Martin are just in it for the money. About becoming invested fans of a series, that mostly results from that series having some unique aspect to it that makes it worthwhile to follow even when the quality of the individual entry isn't as good as you could find in standalone works, or series with less interesting settings containing less interesting or relatable established characters. Fallout is such a series for me, although Bethesda killed my interest in their entries very efficiently.

I also think that assessing stuff like Harry Potter from a perspective of literary criticism is disingenuous. Sure, you could, and it wouldn't hold up in comparison to the greats, but they're children's books, meant to be stimulating to people who think in a very different way than adults. If you recommend children's books on the basis of them having intellectual or educational value in an age where children rarely read, then you've already lost. If you blame the world's problems on Harry Potter, then I suppose you're a Codexer. To be blunt, children don't give a shit about what they "should" be reading, like adults do (yes, even most non-readers know they "should" read the classics). Many young people's interest in books begin and end with Harry Potter, or Twilight, or whatever's the fad these days, but it's not like they'd read anything else in their place, and for others, these books serve to spark an interest in deeper literature. And if we can keep it real for a moment, nobody's actually holding up these books as masterpieces.

Quillon

Arcane

So, old topic but whatcha guys think about "Benweth & Aeldys(not a love story)" bit @1:02:40 from the talk? I don't understand the reasoning behind removing the "jealous ex" part, is it a valid reason? I don't care if there is a jealous ex in your narrative, anywhere but removing something just cos its "too close to home for some people" is a right thing to do? Isn't anything too close to home for someone? Someone out there have someone close them murdered, should they delete their entire game based on a party of murderhobos for it? :P How is this different & should be better off being cut? Even then, should devs pander to potentially "everyone" while they are making content?

Last edited by a moderator:
The Real Fanboy
He showed it off because it shows good team collaboration, sis. Some people on the team thought it was cliché or didn't like it and Sawyer said ok. Listen and look out for your team and you score goals!

Quillon

Arcane
Some people on the team thought it was cliché or didn't like it and Sawyer said ok.

The wording is clear that it could be "a little too close to home"/could be potentially uncomfortable for some people, he doesn't say they found it cliche or low quality. As to why it took my interest is that usually they show "uncomfortable but real" stuff in games..well mostly in movies to raise awareness to it, this move goes against it. Maybe I'm missing something which is why I'm asking but I won't get anything other then "its not a big deal, yo" it seems.

2house2fly

Magister
I'd imagine they discussed what that character element would add to the game that would justify its presence, and probably ended up deciding that either it added nothing or didn't add enough to be worthwhile

2house2fly

Magister
I don't believe it was the product of a completely sjw commiefornia or whatever else you people like to say train of thought which dictated it has to be cut for being too cringey or causing bad tummy feels. After all, another of the game's writers talked about the effort she went to to make the Rauataians sympathetic

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

the profile of the top response
:prosper:

You mean this i take it:
Screenshot-2019-1-26-The-Outer-Worlds-on-Twitter.png

Yeah,the future of Obsidian is in good hands.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom