Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

GrainWetski

Arcane
I heavily disagree. Shooting in New Vegas, throwing lightning around in KotOR2, and the melee combat in Alpha Protocol are all more fun for me than DS3's janky gameplay. Or at least as much fun as one can have with Obsidian combat, anyways.

Then again, I never tried playing DS3 with a controller (which I understand is the better way to play it). Doubt it would change my opinion much.
If that's the case in a ARPG/Diablo-like(or whatever people call them these days) it just means the combat is garbage.

Duraframe300

Arcane
I heavily disagree. Shooting in New Vegas, throwing lightning around in KotOR2, and the melee combat in Alpha Protocol are all more fun for me than DS3's janky gameplay. Or at least as much fun as one can have with Obsidian combat, anyways.

Then again, I never tried playing DS3 with a controller (which I understand is the better way to play it). Doubt it would change my opinion much.
If that's the case in a ARPG/Diablo-like(or whatever people call them these days) it just means the combat is garbage.

It's not a Diablo like per se, in goes in a Gauntlet like vein similiar to Dark Alliance/Champions. So yeah more suited for gamepad.

GrainWetski Pc Controls were garbage to be fair. Outside of that the only clunky thing for me was the camera but YMMV. Oh, and yeah Online Multiplayer was garbage as well. Played through it Couch Co-Op with a friend.

Flou

Arbiter

You definately needed a controller for that game. I tried it with keyboard and was ready to throw my computer at Feargus after just few minutes.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Keyboard and mouse controls are perfectly acceptable if your skills are good enough like mine. :M

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Is Adam Brennecke on something?: https://www.linkedin.com/in/jabby/

Game Director
Dates Employed Sep 2018 – Present
Employment Duration 6 mos

Lead Programmer and Executive Producer
Dates Employed Aug 2012 – Dec 2018
Employment Duration 6 yrs 5 mos

Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire
Pillars of Eternity: The White March
Pillars of Eternity

PoE 3 or what?

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Is Adam Brennecke on something?: https://www.linkedin.com/in/jabby/

Game Director
Dates Employed Sep 2018 – Present
Employment Duration 6 mos

Lead Programmer and Executive Producer
Dates Employed Aug 2012 – Dec 2018
Employment Duration 6 yrs 5 mos

Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire
Pillars of Eternity: The White March
Pillars of Eternity

PoE 3 or what?

Pillarz Drei: Zkyrim Zwei, oh ya!
:balance::balance::balance:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Some wild guess and imagination:
  • Project Mississipi - UE4 game with some multiplayer elements. Probably in development more than a year. Brian Heins?
  • PoE 3 - directed by Adam Brennecke. Still an isometric RPG but probably introduce some major changes?
  • Sawyer's Skyrim killer - if exist, probably merely in a concept stage.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
Josh Sawyer was also tweeting recently about werewolves, hermetic orders, and mysticism. He's definitely going to make it.

Flou

Arbiter
I found this on reddit. OP claims Vavra said on Czech television that Josh Sawyer was planning on leaving Obsidian and forming his own studio if Kingdom Come was successful

https://www.reddit.com/r/kingdomcome/comments/7xqfm4/daniel_vavra_interview_from_last_night/

If true, then Feargus must have offered to let him create his Ars Magica videogame to prevent him from leaving.

He is definately making that game. He already hinted about it on the MS purchase video. That said, Sawyer leaving to form his own company is clearly been done as a half joke and that got lost in translation, probably multiple times even.

Flou

Arbiter
  • Project Mississipi - UE4 game with some multiplayer elements. Probably in development more than a year. Brian Heins?
  • PoE 3 - directed by Adam Brennecke. Still an isometric RPG but probably introduce some major changes?

You forgot Sawyer's Tactical RPG / Medieval RPG. Though I don't think they would put Adam on that game, unless he shares Sawyer's passion for such project.

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
If POE3 is in dev, I wouldn't be too surprised if it turns out to be turn-based. They've done work on that already and it also allows for easier play on consoles.

2house2fly

Magister
Any future PoE games would probably have a tb/rtwp option. The data is compatible with both modes right now and it would be easier to not mess with it. They may refine tb mode since it's generally been received positively

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Nah, it's not specific to CryEngine, just looking for experience with usual commercial engines:

• Familiarity with any of the following engines: Unreal, Crytek, Unity

All their current job postings for programmers pointing specifically Unreal Engine. I think they'll stick to Unreal.

Frozen

Arcane
I wonder whose idea was to make start of Pillows with a quest "you are shitting yourself go fetch some blueberries to make a tea"

I don't think I could imagine a beginning more boring and uninteresting even if I tried.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom