Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I wonder whose idea was to make start of Pillows with a quest "you are shitting yourself go fetch some blueberries to make a tea"

I don't think I could imagine a beginning more boring and uninteresting even if I tried.
It is a good starting quest for a comedy game,sadly poe is not such a game.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I wonder whose idea was to make start of Pillows with a quest "you are shitting yourself go fetch some blueberries to make a tea"

I don't think I could imagine a beginning more boring and uninteresting even if I tried.
Fenstermaker, as revealed in that big Pillars book.

Tom Selleck

Arcane
big Pillars book

rating_citation.png

Or, more politely, what big Pillars book?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
big Pillars book

rating_citation.png

Or, more politely, what big Pillars book?
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...finity-engine-and-pillars-of-eternity.124242/

Specific paragraphs:
Like most designers, Fenstermaker bit off more than he could chew. He had embarked on Pillars of Eternity with every intention of writing every quest and character that players encounter along the game’s critical path. That approach had worked on the well-received Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer expansion set, which he had designed under the leadership of George Ziets.

“It worked well because there was this very strong beginning-to-end consistency of the main story,” Fenstermaker said of NWN 2. “But in the case of Pillars, I started out in a hole because I came on to the project late, and there was lots more to figure out in terms of narrative systems and style, and a much larger game to oversee. I was going to write the gods originally, but I gave them to Carrie instead because she had done so well with everything else I’d given her, and they’re some of the best conversations in the game.”

Everything on the critical path that isn't the conversations with the gods = Fensty's.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.caveat.nyc/event/no-cartridge-live-a-conversation-with-josh-sawyer-3-9-2019

No Cartridge Live: A Conversation with Josh Sawyer
SAT // MAR 09 // 03:00PM
What's the game that made you who are you are?

NO CARTRIDGE LIVE takes this question to the next level, inviting video game industry professionals onstage to play their favorite games and talk about how the creative choices in these games shaped the development of their own work. From explosive personal stories to exploding onscreen gibs, nothing is out of bounds.

Whether you love playing games, talking about games, or talking about playing games, you'll come away with a better understanding of what makes game creators tick.

Doors 3:00 PM, show 3:30 PM.
Tickets $15 in advance, $20 at the door.
21+
This event is mixed seated and standing room. Seats are first-come, first-served.
REFUND POLICY: Tickets maybe be refunded up to 24 hours before the event. Within 24 hours we may take exchanges for other events at our discretion. No refunds after the event.

ABOUT THE GUEST:

March's guest is JOSH SAWYER, the veteran game director and designer whose credits include Pillars of Eternity, Fallout: New Vegas, Icewind Dale, and Neverwinter Nights 2.

ABOUT THE HOST:

NO CARTRIDGE (www.no-cartridge.net) is a podcast that attempts to rethink the landscape of video game criticism by considering gaming from a leftist perspective. Hosts Trevor and Olivia talk with people from across the spectrum of the video game world, from designers to marketers to journalists and, most importantly, to fans. We go beyond simple reviews and discussions of mechanical and graphical innovation, providing the opportunity to talk about experiences and politics from a new perspective.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
NO CARTRIDGE (www.no-cartridge.net) is a podcast that attempts to rethink the landscape of video game criticism by considering gaming from a leftist perspective. Hosts Trevor and Olivia talk with people from across the spectrum of the video game world, from designers to marketers to journalists and, most importantly, to fans. We go beyond simple reviews and discussions of mechanical and graphical innovation, providing the opportunity to talk about experiences and politics from a new perspective.

:roll:

2house2fly

Magister

They probably felt that for a fantasy adventure it was appropriate to start you off with something low-stakes to give a "humble origin" feel

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

:roll:

What an unique perspective!

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
She's getting fat, which is impressive for a vegan.

(actually not that impressive, a lot of pound-packing food doesn't involve animals)

2house2fly

Magister
Rice, pasta and potatoes are packed with calories, and all staple foods without which almost any meal is unthinkable

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Tim Cain and Megan Starks' Pax East panels:

http://east.paxsite.com/schedule/panel/30-years-in-games-how-we-got-here-and-where-were-going

30 years in Games: How We Got Here, and Where We're Going
  • SUN 03/31 10:30 AM - 11:30 AM
  • DRAGONFLY THEATRE
In the last 30 years, the video game industry has experienced incredible changes in the way we design, develop, and play games. Four industry veterans with a over a century of experience reflect on their adventures in the field. Hear from industry trailblazers behind the Myst, Command & Conquer, Skylanders, and Fallout franchises as they discuss what has changed, what is consistent, and future insights into the medium we love

PANELISTS
Rand Miller [CEO and Founder, Cyan], Tim Cain [Senior Programmer, Obsidian Entertainment], Chuck Carter [Founder and Creative Director, Eagre Games], Seth Mantie [Coordinator, Boston UE Game Developers Usergroup], Karthik Bala [Founder, Vicarious Visions / Velan Studios]

(Tim Cain, just Senior Programmer! Probably from an old profile or something.)

http://east.paxsite.com/schedule/panel/vg247-presents-how-to-write-an-rpg

VG247 Presents How to Write an RPG
  • SAT 03/30 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM
  • CONDOR THEATRE
Join us for a chat about the challenges and process behind writing for branching narratives, shared worlds, and the large casts of various kinds of RPGs. How do you make sure player choice feels meaningful, and how do you give players a sense of ownership over their character in a predetermined story? This talk will also include examples from specific games the panelists have worked on, with anecdotes of problem solving and the methods employed by writers. The session will close out with a Q/A

PANELISTS
Matt Martin [Editor], Kirk McKeand [Deputy Editor], Emily Grace Buck [Narrative Designer & Writer, RPG Waylanders (previously Telltale)], Megan Starks [Senior Narrative Designer (and Writer), Obsidian], Matt Firor [Elder Scrolls Online Game Director, Bethesda], Kieron Kelly [Divinity: Original Sin 2 Production Manager, Larian], Shawn Alexander Allen [Game Designer, Treachery in Beatdown City]

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
You know you're in a bad way when Starks and a Larian manager are the most qualified persons speaking on your RPG writing panel.

imweasel

Something you will never read:

"Pillars of Eternity director @jesawyer is gonna be playing THE ORIGINAL BALDUR'S GATE live on stage and talking about how it influenced his own work."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom