Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Either narrative lead on Outer Worlds DLC or Chris Parker's Skyrim. :M

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Ooops, another one:

Network Programmer
Obsidian is looking for experienced programmers to develop network and multiplayer gameplay systems using Unreal Engine.

Our ideal candidate has a strong work ethic, outstanding problem-solving skills, the ability to deliver on time, and works well in a team environment.

Responsibilities
  • Develop and maintain systems related to networking and multiplayer gameplay
  • Collaborate on solving various game design challenges as they relate to multiplayer gameplay
  • Debug and optimize network systems for optimal latency and bandwidth utilization
Requirements
  • An avid gamer with a passion for making games
  • Excellent communication and team skills
  • 5+ years of industry experience developing multiplayer games for PC and consoles
  • Experience performing analysis and optimization of network traffic.
  • Experience with multithreaded programming
  • Proficiency in C/C++
  • Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Computer Science or Engineering
  • Unreal Engine experience

Well... MMO shooter incoming

Duraframe300

Arcane
Ooops, another one:

Network Programmer
Obsidian is looking for experienced programmers to develop network and multiplayer gameplay systems using Unreal Engine.

Our ideal candidate has a strong work ethic, outstanding problem-solving skills, the ability to deliver on time, and works well in a team environment.

Responsibilities
  • Develop and maintain systems related to networking and multiplayer gameplay
  • Collaborate on solving various game design challenges as they relate to multiplayer gameplay
  • Debug and optimize network systems for optimal latency and bandwidth utilization
Requirements
  • An avid gamer with a passion for making games
  • Excellent communication and team skills
  • 5+ years of industry experience developing multiplayer games for PC and consoles
  • Experience performing analysis and optimization of network traffic.
  • Experience with multithreaded programming
  • Proficiency in C/C++
  • Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Computer Science or Engineering
  • Unreal Engine experience

Well... MMO shooter incoming
Not that surprising considering, they've had multiplayer projects for a while now.

RepHope

Savant
Either narrative lead on Outer Worlds DLC or Chris Parker's Skyrim. :M
Is Parker seriously in charge of another game? I get that he’s Feargus’ bitch but I had hoped Feargus would put someone competent in charge to impress his new MS Corporate masters. Hope Parker realizes ol’ Fergy won’t hesitate to throw his ass under the bus to keep MS happy.

Fairfax

Arcane
It makes perfect sense for them. Feargus finally gets to fulfill his lifelong dream of releasing a mainstream RPG with the budget to match the studios he envies, and Parker fulfills his dream of directing it (as reward for loyalty over the years). They also get to pad the budget and fill their pockets with MS money while they're at it. If things go south, they're stable under MS (at least for a while) and already have their retirement money thanks to the acquisition.

RepHope

Savant
It makes perfect sense for them. Feargus finally gets to fulfill his lifelong dream of releasing a mainstream RPG with the budget to match the studios he envies, and Parker fulfills his dream of directing it (as reward for loyalty over the years). They also get to pad the budget and fill their pockets with MS money while they're at it. If things go south, they're stable under MS (at least for a while) and already have their retirement money thanks to the acquisition.
If things go south MS might scrap the company like Lionhead. Or fire those two retards if we’re lucky. But hey they got their owners’ payout, I guess they’re set no matter what.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wasn’t Stormlands supposed to have a multiplayer component?

Hopefully the way that went down won't be relevant here: https://rpgcodex.net/article.php?id=10748

Clearly a lot of work had been done. What, then, went wrong? There was a disconnect, a juxtaposition between a dreaming Microsoft on one hand and an Obsidian who had to realise the ideas on the other. One moment Obsidian was talking to a Microsoft executive producer about doing co-op, the next minute a new executive producer was pitching million-man raids. "We look at something like that and it's like, 'Holy Jesus!'" says Urquhart.

Sannom

Augur
Plus as much as we think of Bioware, didn't Obsidian already do something similar a few years back ? Something Armored Warfare, I believe ? How did they fare with that game before leaving development ?

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Plus as much as we think of Bioware, didn't Obsidian already do something similar a few years back ? Something Armored Warfare, I believe ? How did they fare with that game before leaving development ?

Reportedly, it did a lot to help keep the lights on. They were doing contract dev work for My.com though.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

Video of this talk is paid members only.

:rage:

You gotta wait two years till they release it for free or earlier on their Youtube channel.

Here's a slide instead: https://www.gdcvault.com/play/1026384/Technical-Tools-for-Authoring-Branching

Session Name: Technical Tools for Authoring Branching Dialogue

Speaker(s): Carrie Patel, David Szymczyk

Company Name(s): Obsidian Entertainment, Obsidian Entertainment

Track / Format: Game Narrative Summit

Overview: Strong dialogue tools are crucial to developing games with branching narrative. A good conversation editor should allow designers to shape and view the structure of dialogue files, seamlessly write and edit text, and easily integrate dialogue with game scripting.This talk will address how narrative designers and game writers can get the most use out of conversation editors and how tools programmers can design software that allows for robust conversation design. The presenters will refer to OEI Tools, a proprietary dialogue editor that Obsidian Entertainment's writers have used for eight years to develop conversations for several acclaimed RPG titles.

Codex Year of the Donut

Video of this talk is paid members only.

:rage:

You gotta wait two years till they release it for free or earlier on their Youtube channel.

Here's a slide instead: https://www.gdcvault.com/play/1026384/Technical-Tools-for-Authoring-Branching

Session Name: Technical Tools for Authoring Branching Dialogue

Speaker(s): Carrie Patel, David Szymczyk

Company Name(s): Obsidian Entertainment, Obsidian Entertainment

Track / Format: Game Narrative Summit

Overview: Strong dialogue tools are crucial to developing games with branching narrative. A good conversation editor should allow designers to shape and view the structure of dialogue files, seamlessly write and edit text, and easily integrate dialogue with game scripting.This talk will address how narrative designers and game writers can get the most use out of conversation editors and how tools programmers can design software that allows for robust conversation design. The presenters will refer to OEI Tools, a proprietary dialogue editor that Obsidian Entertainment's writers have used for eight years to develop conversations for several acclaimed RPG titles.
tbh I doubt the efficiency of the editor they've developed, it looks very convoluted and difficult to navigate compared to a red/blue editor

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Huh, no sign of Alpha Protocol or NWN2. Yet there's a giant DS3 poster for some reason.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Huh, no sign of Alpha Protocol or NWN2. Yet there's a giant DS3 poster for some reason.
There are Alpha Protocol posters around somewhere, I've seen pictures of Avellone posing in front of them.

Fairfax

Arcane
There are Alpha Protocol posters around somewhere, I've seen pictures of Avellone posing in front of them.
chris%20avellone.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom