Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Man, all the games he lists that are non-violent are typical nu-indie type of games, like Life is Strange. Ugh.
LIS is a publisher-backed AA title. No one considers it indie.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Non-violent. I assume walking simulator.
NtF48aT.jpg

All that Skyrim research after all. :) "What if I made Skyrim... without combat?"

Flou

Arbiter
it could just be lack of graphical violence, like how a grand strategy murders people by thousands or more and they pass as trickling numbers.

Or something like King of Dragon Pass. It does have violence in it, but really doesn't show it.

Flou

Arbiter
From Brandon Adler's LinkedIn:

Design Director
Dates Employed
Oct 2018 – Jul 2019
Employment Duration
10 mos

Unannounced Title - Gameplay Design Director

Game Director
Dates Employed
Jan 2018 – Present
Employment Duration
1 yr 9 mos

Worked on:
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire DLC - Game Director
Unannounced Title - Game Director

Something got cancelled or did Badler get a promotion from Gameplay Design Director to Game Director?

Duraframe300

Arcane
From Brandon Adler's LinkedIn:

Design Director
Dates Employed
Oct 2018 – Jul 2019
Employment Duration
10 mos

Unannounced Title - Gameplay Design Director

Game Director
Dates Employed
Jan 2018 – Present
Employment Duration
1 yr 9 mos

Worked on:
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire DLC - Game Director
Unannounced Title - Game Director

Something got cancelled or did Badler get a promotion from Gameplay Design Director to Game Director?

Even more intersting. What happened to Adam in that case, considering he seemed to be the director on that project?

Edit: No, Adam was also at Rare. So, he's still around.

Quillon

Arcane
So is there an RPG that is non-violent as an example? Is it a valid type of RPG? :P Or did Josh go full SJW?

Codex Year of the Donut
So is there an RPG that is non-violent as an example? Is it a valid type of RPG? :P Or did Josh go full SJW?
Harvest Moon and derivatives.
Some of the later iterations do have combat to some degree, same with Stardew Valley(which I consider to be closer to the spirit of the original games than any modern Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons IMO)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Codex Year of the Donut

As I said: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...elements-set-in-the-late-18th-century.119670/

It depends how you define nonviolent. There's actually nonviolent and there's "no combat system", in which case you've got Disco Elysium and Gamedec. Also the recently released Titan Outpost.
Is The Council actually an RPG? I passed on it when I saw it because it looked like a point and click game.

Cael

Arcane
Harvest Moon and derivatives.
Some of the later iterations do have combat to some degree, same with Stardew Valley(which I consider to be closer to the spirit of the original games than any modern Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons IMO)
I rather enjoyed Harvest Moon for the fiscal parts and upgrading. The romance crap can go straight to Hell.

Self-Ejected

Carls Barkley

Safav Hamon
The Real Fanboy
b) confirms that Obsidian has a new (unannounced) title on the way...wonder what Sawyer's role is (Director again or taking a 'lower' position)?

or... c) He's consulting on a game for another Microsoft owned studio.

Josh spent several days in Warwick for work, which is the headquarters of Playground Games (developers of Fable 4). It makes sense for them to send a famous RPG developer to consult on Microsoft's flagship RPG.

Last edited:
b) confirms that Obsidian has a new (unannounced) title on the way...wonder what Sawyer's role is (Director again or taking a 'lower' position)?

or... c) He's consulting on a game for another Microsoft owned studio.

Josh spent several days in Warwick for work, which is the headquarters of Playground Games (developers of Fable 4). It makes sense for them to send a famous RPG developer to consult on Microsoft's flagship RPG.
Didn't they say they cancelled Fable 4 a while back?

Neerasrc

Learned
The answer to all your questions is here.
Just type in the name of the game and check.

Josh is probably developing game accordingly.

https://pegi.info/

Sample:
What Remains of Edith Finch = +16 [Violence appears icon]
Fable Fortune = +7 [There's only fear. No violence.]
Fable Legends = +12 [sex,violence and bad language]
..etc

agris

Arcane
Patron
I’m surprised Bell isn’t in the running for that spot, with the hiring being for a junior to take Bell’s prior position.

Flou

Arbiter
I’m surprised Bell isn’t in the running for that spot, with the hiring being for a junior to take Bell’s prior position.

Their audio team has been doubled since Microsoft purchase and with them working on 3 or 4 different projects at the same time, he is going to need help.

Another new job posting: https://www.obsidian.net/jobs/open-positions/design/1138-combat-designer

Combat Designer

Obsidian Entertainment is looking for a Combat Designer with proven experience developing first-person melee combat gameplay to join our team of talented developers.

This role will work closely with artists, animators, audio, and gameplay programmers to determine the overall flow, look, and feel of the total combat experience. The ideal candidate will be someone who can collaboratively plan and create fun, visceral, and epic combat including the main character, AI characters, and gameplay objects across varied encounter types.

Responsibilities
  • Drive the design, direction, look, and feel of the total combat experience
  • Identify and document gameplay systems and tech required to create fun combat with an emphasis on an exceptional first-person melee experience
  • Collaborate with the animation and audio teams to determine the overall feel and pace of combat actions utilizing both first and third person animations
  • Work with system designers to integrate character and gear statistics into combat in a rewarding way
  • Plan for AI needs, behavior scripting, and tuning to create varied combat encounters
  • Utilize team, player, and focus feedback to continually improve the look and feel of the combat experience
  • Create content that adheres to tight schedules and assist others in meeting deadlines
Requirements
  • Experience developing first-person melee and ranged combat
  • The ability to evaluate and understand the mechanics of a game to create compelling, fun, and epic combat experiences
  • Experience directly tuning the animation graphs and timing windows for attacks, blocks, branching actions, hit reactions, and other key combat animations
  • Ability to work with all disciplines including character art, VFX, audio, animation, and programming
  • Proficiency with modern game editors such as UE4, CRYENGINE, Source, or equivalent
Pluses
  • Experience with Unreal Engine 4
  • Experience working on games with role-playing elements
  • Exceptional attention to detail
  • Love of computer and console role-playing and action games
  • Proficiency with 3ds Max, Maya, and/or XSI
  • Programming or scripting experience
  • A portfolio of combat systems built in a commercial 3D game engine

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom