Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

thinking.png

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Looking for Sawyer's disciple: https://www.obsidian.net/jobs/open-positions/design/1149-intermediate-senior-system-designer

Intermediate/Senior System Designer

Obsidian Entertainment is looking for an Intermediate System Designer and a Senior System Designer to join our team of talented developers.

These roles work closely with artists, animators, audio, and gameplay programmers to develop the main RPG features and systems of the game. The ideal candidates are people who can collaboratively plan and create fun, engaging, and deep RPG systems and features.

Responsibilities
  • Collaborate with other system designers to improve existing game systems as well as define new systems and features
  • Take ownership of the design of a feature or system and collaborate with other departments in implementing them
  • Document and refine game system and feature designs
  • Actively participate in creative and technical problem-solving discussions
  • Play the game regularly to iterate on balance and progression
  • Utilize team, player, and focus feedback to continually improve the game features and systems
  • Create content that adheres to tight schedules and assist others in meeting deadlines
Requirements
  • Intermediate: 2 years prior experience in the game industry as a system designer with at least one shipped title
  • Senior: 5 years prior experience in the game industry as a system designer with at least one shipped title
  • Relevant experience in working directly within a game engine to implement, test, and iterate
  • Strong understanding of RPG game systems and balance
  • Proficient in balancing game systems for difficultly, progression, and fun
  • Ability to communicate a vision, present ideas, listen to the ideas of others, and accept critical feedback objectively
Pluses
  • Experience with Unreal Engine 4
  • Experience and proficiency with Excel
  • Programming or scripting experience
  • Experience working on games with role-playing elements
  • Highly analytical with exceptional attention to detail
  • Love of computer and console role-playing and action games
Obsidian Entertainment is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Obsidian Entertainment is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.

Wtf does this mean? This is mandated by law, are they proud to be following the law?

Atchodas

Augur
This means that if employee to be is some kind of faggot they dont need any of the requirements above and being LGBTWHATEVER is good enough

Atchodas

Augur
You clearly have not paid enough attention to the combat of PoE at least not as much as I did because I know for a fact that combat encounter design is non existent in PoE games.

For the record I like RTWP combat

Atchodas

Augur
PoE character building systems are okay, I would even go as far as saying they are good and above average however there is no proper combat(encounters) to put those character builds in use also limited itemisation does not help either

Trashos

Arcane
however there is no proper combat(encounters) to put those character builds in use.

Not a bug. How do you even design encounters, if you do not want the player to fail.

I did like the rogue and the cipher myself in PoE1, but yes, there was no point in anything.

Flou

Arbiter
They are looking for a new Narrative Designer:

https://www.obsidian.net/jobs/open-positions/design/1151-narrative-designer

Narrative Designer
Obsidian is looking for an enthusiastic Narrative Designer to join our growing team of RPG developers.

The Narrative Designer should have excellent communication and organization skills, the ability to negotiate with peers in a goal-oriented way, and the ability to balance the Narrative Lead's goals with the needs of the Area Design team and the expectations of the game's intended audience.

The Narrative Designer is ultimately an advocate for the audience's best experience and continuously works toward that goal.

Responsibilities

• Work with the Narrative Lead, Content Design Director, and Area Designers to develop dialogue and supplemental writing for the game's characters and quests
  • Help maintain the consistency and integrity of the intellectual property in the game's writing
  • Provide peer review for writing by other teammates
  • Work with the Audio Director, Narrative Lead, external voice directors, and voice actors to provide guidance during recording sessions
Requirements
  • 2+ years of professional game writing experience
  • Experience working as a writer on at least one shipped game
  • Working knowledge of RPG conventions
Pluses
  • Experience writing for multiplayer games
  • Experience writing branching dialogue
  • Experience working with scripting languages
  • Experience writing dialog for voiced characters in at least one shipped game
  • Experience with in-studio voice recording sessions
  • Familiarity with the Unreal Engine

"Experience writing for multiplayer games"

Also they have opening for senior animation programmer

Last edited by a moderator:

Xeon

Augur
Wonder if Tim's next project will be Arcanum like? I don't think I'll mind that if they replaced their writers.

Yeah, hope if PoE3 become a thing, Old PC will be gone along with all the gods.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
If Obsidian really does Pillars of Eternity III, for God's sake make the protagonist a completely new character. What they did with the Watcher was their most grevious error story-wise. Every part of the game should have a separate protagonist, plain and simple.
Pillars 3 was canceled, it's dead. :)

Duraframe300

Arcane
Was something cancelled? Obsidian lost suddenly 4 employees on Linkedin.

Or some Outer Worlds contract workers that are a bit late to adjust their linkedin?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Sawyer's yet another visit to Poland: https://www.gamasutra.com/view/pres...dustry_Conference_announces_next_speakers.php

Game Industry Conference (GIC) announces next speakers for their upcoming event, taking place from October 17th to 20th in Poznan, Poland.

More experienced game designers will be interested in the Game Design Summit. There, they will have the opportunity to take part in up to 30 workshops. Highly qualified speakers will share their expertise with attendees, e.g. Josh Sawyer of Obsidian and Piotr Mistygacz of Techland.

Hey hey, look who's here (video uploaded by Gamedec developer Anshar Studios, who organized the event):

Flou

Arbiter

Or some Outer Worlds contract workers that are a bit late to adjust their linkedin?

I think it is Outer Worlds contract workers both the actual game and DLC staff that have been jumping ship. They've gained some members and lost some constantly ever since october.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron

Could be people starting new jobs in January who are taking the opportunity to quit early and enjoy extended Christmas vacations. 4 people leaving is just regular turnover for a company of Obsidian's size.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Is Sawyer hiding in the back or they decided to finally put him down ?:troll:
Not in the photo. I almost thought beardman on the right was him, but no arm tattoos.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom