Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Looks like Disco has thoroughly poisoned Sawyer's mind. I'm sure his attempt to ape it will go about as well as his attempt to ape the Infinity Engine games.

tripedal

Augur
Yeah I bet Feargus is really enthusiastic about rethinking all assumptions and making something original instead of soulless rehashes of 20 year old games.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
I hope Sawyer's game is moderately written and action packed. He should listen to Kurvitz and make the real No Truce With The Furries Darklands with combat and violence.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Yeah I bet Feargus is really enthusiastic about rethinking all assumptions and making something original instead of soulless rehashes of 20 year old games.

The problem is with Kate Dollarhyde involved *rethinking all assumptions* should strike fear into your heart.

The Real Fanboy
This is cool from now on all xbox studios like Obsidian (and I guess Inxile too) will be working with extra outside teams to make their games even cooler!

https://www.mcvuk.com/we-need-to-de...ame-studios-matt-booty-on-the-future-of-xbox/

With Halo Infinite leading the charge for the Xbox Series X, it’s intriguing to find out if the game is pulling in resources from other studios in the group. But Booty is definite that this isn’t the case, with each studio having its own IP (or IPs to work on).

“The answer is no. We do have studios that have multiple teams within them. So for example, we announced Everwild, a new IP from Rare; that is a second team that we’re spinning up under Louise O’Connor’s leadership and creative direction, that will be a second team that exists in parallel to the team at Rare that’s already working on Sea of Thieves and will continue to work on that game. So there will be two teams. While at 343 they’re working on Halo Infinite. But they’re also working on bringing things like Halo Reach to PC to join the Master Chief Collection.

“But what we aren’t doing right now is for example, saying, ‘hey, could half of the Minecraft team go work on Sea of Thieves?’ I think that would just be very tough with the way we run our studios. They each have their own cultures, they each have their own toolsets, their own technology. And they certainly are sharing a lot of information, techniques and expertise. But we’re not at the point where we would want to move people around from studio to studio.”

Instead the studios will use the typical external development resources to assist them. “All of our studios will work with outside development help. Games have just gotten so big and so complicated, and I think it’s really very rare for any studio to not have development partners.”

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Chris and Brandon: Josh shouldn't write.
Josh: I'm going to give it another shot.
*Deadfire released*
Most people: Josh shouldn't write.
Josh:... I'm going to give it another shot.

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...s-analysis-thread.121823/page-84#post-5880583 still applies

This is cool from now on all xbox studios like Obsidian (and I guess Inxile too) will be working with extra outside teams to make their games even cooler!

They're just saying that they're going to keep what they've been doing. Obsidian's been working with contractors (e.g art) for a while now. :) (Avellone expressed embarrassment that Urquhart would be as hard on them as publishers were on Obsidian).

Wunderbar

Arcane
*Deadfire released*

RcosU9n.png

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
*Deadfire released*

I'd still prefer Sawyer's writing to anything that Obsidian's triformis of witches narrative designers (aka Starks + Patel + Dollarhide) gave a birth to.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
*Deadfire released*

I'd still prefer Sawyer's writing to anything that Obsidian's triformis of witches narrative designers (aka Starks + Patel + Dollarhide) gave a birth to.
:deathclaw:
But it was during his era that they were brought in. Most of the PoE garbage is their doing lol.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Avellone is hard to replace these days.
The dude that wrote Spellforce 3 is great writer,shame that he is a libtard tho. I will even go and say that prefer his style over the avellone's. Really liked his realistic,sharp and to the point dialogue,also the story was well woven and interesting.

Daidre

Arcane
The dude that wrote Spellforce 3 is great writer,shame that he is a libtard tho
True. And even hilarious attempts at writing romances in Soul Harvest were not able to ruin my pretty favorable impression of their narrative team.

Maybe I am a bit too optimistic, but there are enough talented people in RPG-making scene. For example, I don't even know a name of the girl who wrote "Inconsequent Debates" for Kingmaker, but the whole quest is absolute concentrated brilliance.

So when people compliment TOW's writing (condescending, juvenile and totally devoid of any creative spark) as "Obsidian proved once again - best writing in CRPG" it irks me to no end.

I just want to "Damn, people, check your facts - talent left a ship 2 games ago!" every time.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
The dude that wrote Spellforce 3 is great writer,shame that he is a libtard tho
True. And even hilarious attempts at writing romances in Soul Harvest were not able to ruin my pretty favorable impression of their narrative team.

Maybe I am a bit too optimistic, but there are enough talented people in RPG - making scene. For example, I don't even know a name of the girl who wrote "Inconsequent Debates" for Kingmaker, but the whole quest is absolute concentrated brilliance.

So when people compliment TOW's writing (condescending, juvenile and totally devoid of any creative spark) as "Obsidian proved once again - best writing in CRPG" it irks me to no end.

I just want to "Damn, people check your facts - talent left a ship 2 games ago!" every time.
I absolutely agree,there is a ton of capable people outside of kwan. Obsidian had long lost their quality people,their last good game was NV and that was a decade ago. Since then they are in downward spiral. The RPG genre is doing strong,there is plenty of low budged gems that do well,and there are capable people working on such games because of passion. It is shame that a lot of retards here are focusing that much on dead studios that produce anything but shit,while ignoring some really good games like atom,underrail,kingmaker,spellforce,greedfall,disco etc etc.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I mean if you're doing an RPG with literally 1,000 movie scripts worth of dialog in it I do think some of it would have to be passable as "fine" if you want to keep your budget and sanity intact. Not every line can be amazing.

Daidre

Arcane
Not every line can be amazing.
Not every line is needed.

If you can't make every text in the game worth reading than admit your studio does employ only pure talent extraordinaire and stop shoving into RPG every line produced by some monkey with a keyboard on the writing team.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom