Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Obsidian got fucked by Bethesda

Discussion in 'Obsidian Entertainment' started by LeStryfe79, Mar 15, 2012.

1. LeStryfe79 Deal Breaker Patron

LeStryfe79
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    ^ Top  
  2. Malakal Arcane

Malakal
    So, couldnt they, like, make up some fake reviews to get this bonus? Actually isnt that the normal practice with those reviews? Just shell out some dollars...

^ Top  
  3. abnaxus Arcane

abnaxus

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. LeStryfe79 Deal Breaker Patron

LeStryfe79
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Man fuck bethesda. I thought skyrim actually fell into the "good for what it is" category, but i ain't standin for that shit. Obsidian made those fuckers insane money and now have to downsize. Fuck Bethesda, I got a pipe bomb with their name on it. It's the only true way to LARP that fallout shit anyways. Maybe Todd Howard wants to be a ghoul? I'm done with those fucks, and special props to Obsidian's professionalism for not being chodes about it. Got insane respect for them now. True bros. Also Fuck Bethesda. I stood up for them b4, but its done. Never again. FUUUUUUUCK that!

:hero:

• Brofist Brofist x 8
    ^ Top  
  5. dextermorgan Arcane

dextermorgan
    Honestly, I can't believe Obsidian let themselves be suckered into such an obvious raw deal. Tying your potential profits to such a fucking random factor instead of actual sales?

^ Top  
  6. Morgoth Arcane

Morgoth
    This is why Triple-A retail game development sucks. Time for Obsidian going the Double Fine route, that is split into several smaller teams and only make downloadable games from now on.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. racofer Thread Incliner

racofer
    That's what happens when you waste money on hiring people like Tim Cain instead of diverting that bugget into bribe money for review sites.

^ Top  
  8. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Hey, it looks like this story is going a bit viral. :incline:

^ Top  
  9. GreyViper Arbiter

GreyViper
    Im somewhat curious, they didnt let the fans know about that deal, hell we could have pitched in and given our vote. Since I dont visit metacritic, well unless it was the DA2 thing. Sad new, hope they pull out.

^ Top  
  10. Renegen Arcane

Renegen
    Some of the comments in the story are the usual hilarious stuff:
    Like Fallout 3 didn't have bugs, but of course these people are incapable of thinking for themselves. The reviewers had to find problems to give sub-85 scores and they blamed Obsidian for Bethesda problems. Therefore, according to the fans, it's Obsidian's problem!

^ Top  
  11. Fens Ford of the Llies

Fens
    if the choice is "get paid a bit and then rely on possible royalties maybe some time in the future" or "get paid fully now and get a bonus cookie if the metacritic score hits 85", i understand the decision... still sucks, though

^ Top  
  12. dextermorgan Arcane

dextermorgan
    Nope, the main Metacritic score is derived only from scores given by prestigious gaming sites like Kotaku and IGN. I can't wait for the next industry crash.

^ Top  
  13. LeStryfe79 Deal Breaker Patron

LeStryfe79
    84 metacrirtic, 5 million sales, no royalties. Goddamn heinous. I will fuck Bethesda with a 2ft dildo. Trust me , I have connections(bad ones really bad), and this shit won't go unpunished. Inexcusable. I dare that fuck rod howard to post here. I dont mind jail, but i bet he likes his face. Millions won't save him from me. He better run scared like a hopscotch girl. THat shit stain is done. :hmmm:

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  14. Morkar illiterate

Morkar
    Using metacritic as a measure for a successful developed game and bind contracts to it is one of the most stupid things I read in a while about the gaming industry.

:hero:

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  15. DraQ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

DraQ
    :rage:

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  16. DwarvenFood Arcane Patron

DwarvenFood
    Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    I truly regret buying FO:NV now, I was hoping I would at least partly enrich MCA but alas...

^ Top  
  17. Toffeli Atomkrieg, ja bitte Patron

Toffeli
    Wasteland 2
    Why did MCA delete his tweet?

^ Top  
  18. Turisas Arch Devil Patron

Turisas
    Bethesda better watch out.

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 23
    ^ Top  
  19. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    :lol: Uh oh, somebody said something they shouldn't have.

^ Top  
  20. Azalin Arcane Patron

Azalin
    Oops,someone forgot his NDA

Considering how they cancel one project after another it's likely soon they won't have another option,just like Schafer

^ Top  
  21. Grimlorn Arcane

Grimlorn
    Yeah I think it's interesting that this is getting news now, but MCA is probably in trouble for tweeting that. Now we'll just never hear about stuff like this again, although I'm sure it's a standard industry practice.

^ Top  
  22. curry Arcane

curry
    Perhaps now it would be a good time for MCA to start thinking about a Kickstarter to hire himself a lawyer :smug:

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  23. Saark Arcane Patron

Saark
    A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    Since I'm pretty slow... what did I miss?

As hard as it is going to be for Obsidian, but working for them must be a real pain in the ass right about now (if they didn't fire you yesterday of course). I mean by all means Bethesda screwed them, but having someone above you that lets stuff like this happen to your company blows too. It's time Obsidian gets some people into their folder that actually know how to handle this shithole called "video game industry" so they can have a piece of the cake for themselves.

I bet these Bethesda motherfuckers spent more money on making sure that the game gets a 84 than they would have to give to Obsidian if they had made a perfect game...

^ Top  
  24. Stabwound Arcane

Stabwound
    MCA was the one that tweeted about how they got paid a straight fee for developing New Vegas and they got jewed because the bonus was based on the 85 metacritic score. It was out of anger and in response to the news of layoffs at Obsidian.

Yeah, he probably shouldn't have done that.

^ Top  
  25. Saark Arcane Patron

Saark
    A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    Ah okay, thanks for that. I'd be pretty enraged too though. Well, Kotaku mentioned that it was Microsoft who canned the North Carolina Project since they were the publisher all along. If that's true I'm wondering if both these incidents have something to do with each other.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)