Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News Obsidian hired Sam Fisher's little brother

Discussion in 'RPG Codex News & Content Comments' started by Monolith, Apr 4, 2008.

1. Monolith Cipher

Monolith
    Tags: Alpha Protocol; Obsidian Entertainment

He'll star in Alpha Protocol, <a href="http://www.obsidianentertainment.com">Obsidian's</a> next gen Spy RPG/Action Game/Shooter/we'll see. At least, that's what I've gathered from the recently released first <a href="http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Screens/ScreenShots.htm?CS_pid={A7109B2B-E362-4B10-B75B-A9C3E0A5626C}">screenshots</a>. Looks like there'll be much room for diplomacy, involving a large repertoire from 9 mm diplomats to 12 gauge ambassadors which you'll have to send off if your disguise as a spy is blown. My only hope now is that they take the Bloodlines route - without the bugs.
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    Thanks to <b>Brother None</b>, our official news delivery boy.
    <br>

^ Top  
  2. Hümmelgümpf Arbiter

Hümmelgümpf
    ^ Top  
  3. ghostdog Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

ghostdog
  4. Andhaira Arcane

Andhaira
  5. Micmu Magister

Micmu
    Gosh, yet another Jack Bauer... on Earth!

^ Top  
  6. Claw Erudite Patron

Claw
    Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Oooh, sarcasm!

I liiike.

^ Top  
  7. Burning Bridges Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

Burning Bridges
    Screens are .. pretty.

I need to see the interface though. From those screens the "super cool spy rpg" could be another "Splinter Cell" clone, yet another slideshow with hardly any strategy.

^ Top  
  8. Monolith Cipher

Monolith
    Ay, thanks.

^ Top  
  9. DraQ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

DraQ
  10. Brother None inXile Entertainment Developer

Brother None
    Fucking Wikipedia. Thousands of word on some irrelevant fictional character. That's more than on friggin' Nikolai Bukharin or Dzerzhinsky or Preobrazhensky, people who shaped the 20th century.

I wish those assclowns wouldn't take themselves so seriously, if they bring us that kind of shit.

PS: I'm not yo newsboy!
    PPS: AP still looks like shit

^ Top  
  11. Hümmelgümpf Arbiter

Hümmelgümpf
    That particular screenshot is really pretty, by the way. The guy who textured the building is a god.

^ Top  
  12. Brother None inXile Entertainment Developer

Brother None
    Uhm, are you looking at the same screen as me? The environmentals are pretty good, yeah, but not god-like.

Jeesh, wake up and smell the coffee here, the GI preview was simply unimpressive

Goshdarned fanbois

(lulz)

^ Top  
  13. fastpunk Arbiter

fastpunk
    Yeah, it looks great. Both texturing and lighting are top notch. I just hope they keep the same standard for the rest of the levels.

^ Top  
  14. Dementia Praecox Arbiter

Dementia Praecox
    Why are you being such a h8r, BN?

^ Top  
  15. Hümmelgümpf Arbiter

Hümmelgümpf
    I like the reliefs at the back, dents on the floor and the overall art direction. Sorry if I'm being vague, but I really can't put my finger on what exactly makes me love this screenshot so much.

What was so bad about it? It seems to be not a shooter with stats, which is what action/RPG usually means, but an actual RPG with real-time combat, like Bloodlines. I fail to see why you seem to dislike this particular title so much. Yeah, the beginning of the article is full of PR buzz words, but it's something I expect from every world-exclusive preview and just filter away.

I love you too. :) BTW, your latest avatar at NMA rocks.

^ Top  
  16. DraQ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

DraQ
    How is that godlike? It looks good, but I have seen a lot of stuff of comparable quality before, and, without doubt, will see another lot in the future.

On the other hand, the "commandos" really look as if they escaped from a bad SF flick.

^ Top  
  17. NiM82 Prophet

NiM82
    Fixed.

Also will someone from Obsidian please explain the 4 eyed glowing NVG's. They look beyond stupid. Or does the plot involve 4 eyed aliens on some level?

^ Top  
  18. Dementia Praecox Arbiter

Dementia Praecox
    Fucking GRAPHIC WHORES. That's right! Whores.

^ Top  
  19. Brother None inXile Entertainment Developer

Brother None
    I don't dislike this title at all. I think Obsidian made a bad choice of exclusive and ended up with one of the worst, most discouraging previews I've ever seen. Ever.

The screenshots look like they're from some kind of splinter cell rip-off. The text could be straight up about Bethesda's next title. Hell, if you took some of that shit and attributed it to Gas Powered's Chris Taylor I would believe you.

That's just the thing here. The only reason any of us didn't write this game of immediately is because it's Obsidian. And that's fine, we have some reason to give Obsidian some credit and leeway. I can forgive them one stupid preview.

But I'm not going to spooge on this game based on a shitty preview just because it's Obsidian.

I was more excited about this title when it was just "a spy-themed RPG". Just that description sounded better than this piece of shit article makes it sound.

Now, as I said, I'm just going to pretend this preview didn't happen and wait for real coverage. If it looks as shitty in following previews as this one made it look, then it's a write-off. I'm not interested in Obsidian's take on BioWare's Mass Effect in another setting. Who gives a shit.

L'Homme de la Mancha!

^ Top  
  20. Dementia Praecox Arbiter

Dementia Praecox

^ Top  
  21. Brother None inXile Entertainment Developer

Brother None
  22. Dementia Praecox Arbiter

Dementia Praecox
    You know Dementia is just Latin for demented, right? Pro-cocks was a nice touch though, I'll give you that. :D

^ Top  
  23. Lurkar Scholar

Lurkar
    Holy fuck, are you sure this game is up to date? Look at how much bloom it doesn't have. And - oh shit, are those actual COLORS?!

^ Top  
  24. Nael Arcane

Nael
    I still think the four eyed night vision goggles are the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Dementia Praecox Arbiter

Dementia Praecox
    Your mother is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)