Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian or inXile

?

• Obsidian

Votes: 74 44.8%
  • Inxile

Votes: 35 21.2%
  • bioware desu~~~~

Votes: 28 17.0%
  • Both

Votes: 28 17.0%

• Total voters

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Maybe wait for Wasteland 2 to get final update when console release hits the market. :M

Jarakka

Learned
Where is the BOTH option?

You know what's pretty great about this?
Years ago, we would all have jumped on any half-decent RPG. Now, we have so many decent RPGs that we can afford to call some of them shit and discuss which is better and why!! We have Wasteland 2, PoE, Divinity OS, Shadowrun Returns and Dragonfall, Lords of Xulima, Might and Magic X, AND IT'S NOT STOPPING

Years ago, any of these games would've made the Codex jump in joy. Now, we even have the luxury of picking which games we like and which ones we don't. Holy shit we can be choosers now, the times of being beggars and voting Dragon Age GOTY because there is little else (that year there was also Risen though so fuck you, voters) is over!

While I share the sentiment that a game is better than no game at all, standards are and should be higher for the second generation KS CRPGs or anything else that follows this.

Now that the devs can't ride on nostalgia factor anymore the only way for them to go is to improve by every game they make. It remains to be seen whether this will happen or whether this is all just a flash in the pan.

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Is this a PoE vs Wasteland 2? Or a full Obsidian vs InXile?

Because if it's the latter, there's no contest, not dissenting but valid opinions, there's one right answer and a wrong answer. At least until Torment, and still.

imweasel

Hmmm....

Larian > HBS > Inxile > Obsidian

So Inxile it is.

LizardWizard

Cipher
Wasteland 2 kinda sucked, but so did OG NWN 2 and Dungeon Siege 3.

New Vegas and PoE are fun though.

vorvek

Augur
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
No though of course Wasteland 2 being a good contender for having the worst art direction in recent memory including a particulary terrible looking interface doesn't help.

hqdefault.jpg

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Now that the devs can't ride on nostalgia factor anymore the only way for them to go is to improve by every game they make. It remains to be seen whether this will happen or whether this is all just a flash in the pan.
What's wrong with more of the same?

BioWare thought NWN would be an improvement when they decided to retire IE. They ended up with a game that was much more mod-friendly but also a large step backwards in all other respects. Ironically, now they make games that are even less mod-friendly than BG but isometric view is probably gone for good and they still can't get 3D right (e.g. camera and pathfinding issues in DA:I).

Moral of the story: not every "improvement" is really an improvement. Sometimes it's wiser to keep the formula that works. More or less. Yeah, like Bethesda does. Hating Bethesda sure is popular around here (and I'm not a huge fan myself) but credit where credit is due: TES games aren't that different from what they were 20 years ago.

Jarakka

Learned
What's wrong with more of the same?

BioWare thought NWN would be an improvement when they decided to retire IE. They ended up with a game that was much more mod-friendly but also a large step backwards in all other respects. Ironically, now they make games that are even less mod-friendly than BG but isometric view is probably gone for good and they still can't get 3D right (e.g. camera and pathfinding issues in DA:I).

Moral of the story: not every "improvement" is really an improvement. Sometimes it's wiser to keep the formula that works. More or less. Yeah, like Bethesda does. Hating Bethesda sure is popular around here (and I'm not a huge fan myself) but credit where credit is due: TES games aren't that different from what they were 20 years ago.

You misunderstood me, I'm not saying they should get rid of anything. I'm saying that now that we have seen TB and RTWP RPGs again, the fans aren't going to settle for a mediocre or an alright game that just happens to have TB-combat.

The next thing for them to do is to build upon the existing things. Think of it like BG2 compared to BG, almost the same thing but mostly just improved overall.

Because right now a lot of people are giving a lot of leeway for the mistakes that has been done in Pillars etc, but it's not going to be the same next time. If the devs just ignore what people dislike about in Pillars for example and just do it again without changing anything, it's a slow but certain death.

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
Snake oil salesman led amateur compagny who released a mediocre RPG game that did not follow on it's promise.

vs

Professional studio with decades of experience led by genuine RPG enthusiasts, who released the few modern RPGs that this community enjoyed, one that's a worthy successor to the infinity engine game just a week ago. With former employees from Troika on top of that.

Wow I wonder.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Dragon Age GOTY because there is little else (that year there was also Risen though so fuck you, voters) is over!

The mere mention of this makes a single tear of utterly concentrated anguish and despair form at the corner of my left yet...

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Obsidian, easily. I'll give Wasteland: 2 another shot once the console/updated version comes out, but it was immensely disappointing.

I haven't played a single Obsidian game I disliked (that I've bought): Alpha Protocol, Fallout: New Vegas, Pillars of Eternity, and South Park: The Stick of Truth.

Andnjord

Arcane
It took Obsidian three games to make something worthwhile. Yes, Kotor 2 had decent writing for a Star Wars product but it was pretty terrible in all other aspects and NW2 was an all around bad experience. Only with Mask of the Betrayer did they managed something really good. At least in my opinion. InXile made a jump from Ipad shovelware to ambitious fully featured cRPGs with a small rookie team and they still delivered a complete game (still waiting for the mega patch and the end of my exams to play it). They only fair comparison would be between Kotor 2 and Wasteland 2 I think.

Now, obviously if Tides of Numenera fails I'll be a very sad gamer indeed, as the Torment "franchise" (can we even call it that way now?) is much dearer to me than Wasteland. But as previously mentioned, we've seen from HBS what wonders the experience of finishing a game can do a newly minted team, so I keep a optimistic outlook towards it.

EDIT: Jesus tip tap dancing christ, when I found the codex it was after the miserable days following Dragon Age 2 when the mere thought that :incline: could ever happen was branded as heresy!! and now we have the luxury of discussing Which is Better And Why between two middle-sized cRPG developers. And they're not even the only ones out there!!

Thank you Codex for keeping the flame alive with your burning hatred.:excellent:

Last edited:

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
We'll get the definitive answer once Torment is released. Personally I think Torment will be much better. McComb, Heine, and Ziets are a much stronger team than Sawyer and company, and I think $5 million goes a lot farther in a game like Torment than it does in PoE.
Especially since Avellone didn't do nearly as much of the writing in PoE as we were led at first to believe.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
I wonder what Tim Cain would have to say about Feargus Urquhart and Brian Fargo as employers. Judging by his decision FU pays more or can get his hands on more interesting projects. He also might have something to say to BF about Fallout 1 development and how he had to fight for it to happen.

As for Obsidian vs inXile, Obsidian doesn't have Brother None so it should be obvious which one is better :].

Azeot

Arbiter
both, but poll is pointless until torment is released

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom