Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian or inXile

?

• Obsidian

Votes: 74 44.8%
  • Inxile

Votes: 35 21.2%
  • bioware desu~~~~

Votes: 28 17.0%
  • Both

Votes: 28 17.0%

• Total voters
It might be a good idea to judge RPG's on more than where they take place.
Sure, but for me the setting is one of the most important aspects of a game. If I see a game with a setting that I've already seen a dozen of times I'm negative at the very start. Plus in general I don't like fantasy. The only fantasy RPG games that I like are are unique in one way or another (to the games I've mentioned above you can add Arcanum which I forgot to mention).

Exactly. That's why PoE didn't catch me at all. I'm not gonna invest my time and energy in a game i don't find intriguing in any way.

I'm not calling it a bad game or anything, and i can understand why many people like it. I probably would too, 20 years ago.

Athelas

Arcane
It might be a good idea to judge RPG's on more than where they take place.
Sure, but for me the setting is one of the most important aspects of a game. If I see a game with a setting that I've already seen a dozen of times I'm negative at the very start. Plus in general I don't like fantasy. The only fantasy RPG games that I like are are unique in one way or another (to the games I've mentioned above you can add Arcanum which I forgot to mention).
This is what your previous post said:

It boggles my mind how anyone could have fun with something like Wasteland 2.
The setting alone makes it worthwhile. I'm sick of fantasy RPG games that look the same for the most part, the only fantasy game I hold in high regard is Planescape Torment (because it's not your another fantasy setting but something really bizarre with great plot) and Vampire games. DOS isn't bad either because it actually shows a different approach than BG.

One of the reasons I love Age of Decadence so much is because it's unlike any other game that I know and it brings freshness to the RPG genre. PoE was a clear cash grab for BG fans waiting on a worthy successor. Larian studios deserve a big applause for the risk they took by creating a turn based fantasy game where developers didn't have to copy any game but had (almost) a blank slate and they went from there. PoE on the other hand was aimed for BG fans from the start and you're being reminded of that at every turn. For someone who's not a BG fan that is a huge flaw and that's why for me Wasteland 2 > DOS > PoE

WL2 and D:OS have been out for months, but I haven't seen any significant discussion about their writing or setting. PoE for whatever flaws it has on the narrative front has sparked more discussion about its story and setting in the single week it has been out. If your argument was that these games have more interesting world building and writing, it's certainly a minority opinion.

Last edited:

Owlish

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Douchebag! Village Idiot Repressed Homosexual Possibly Retarded Edgy Shitposter
Nah, PoE is much more well written than your shitty description. It appeals to adults and not children.

VKob5Vo.gif

Zeronet

Learned
I actually prefer post-apocalyptic to fantasy by a huge margin, but i still prefer PoE over WL2. WL2 is unfinished, had bizzare design choices (energy weapons and power armor given out like candy by random wasteland vendors), the notion of the game about setting up the rangers in california turned out to be 5 guys hunting cat litter. Still, it was the first time they all had to step up to make a big game and i guess that had some hurdles.

Still doesn't change my disappointment with the game, but it had its moments. Disclaimer, i never completed WL2, i got to seal beach and kinda got bored of it all. Spoiling myself on the grimdark edgy ending just made me not want to continue.

PoE delivered mostly on what it promised, the stronghold is a little weak, but not non-existant like WL2 (where its a radio shack), it has a consistently decent art style, your dudes armor shows up on them and the plot is generally more interesting though the companions arent as memorable (but there's no green people) and most areas feel lived in to some degree.

Man, if Obsidian made a post-apocalyptic sci-fi game not hamstrung by the shitty gamebyro engine, mmm.

Zeronet

Learned
Yeah well, they we
I actually prefer post-apocalyptic to fantasy by a huge margin, but i still prefer PoE over WL2. WL2 is unfinished, had bizzare design choices

Man, if Obsidian made a post-apocalyptic sci-fi game not hamstrung by the shitty gamebyro engine, mmm.

I believe they made two of them. Those are mentioned here :
http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=9453

Obsidian aren't completely the same thing as Black Isle. But yes, that's what i meant.

TheGreatOne

Arcane
And the reviews reflect that, so what were you telling mexi to wait for? "Wait a while bub, soon, everyone will still like the game and give it the positive reviews that confound you, BUT, there will be even more nitpicking in threads."
To use Roguey terminology, for one it's good to wait before the hype dies down to see whether a game is a flash in the pan or not. To give an AAA equivalent, by 2015 most people already forgot that Titanfall and bunch of other ûber hyped big budget games of early 2014 even exist, yet the you couldn't stop hearing about them when they were new. Or compare the legacy of Dark Souls 2 with Dark Souls 1. Dark Souls 1 was still widely discussed about and played in 2013, while Dark Souls 2 did not have the longevity of DS1. Though it's not the best analogy since DS1's PC port came a year later and Bloodborne came out only a year after Bloodborne. But the main reason for why DS2 hype died down a lot faster is that it's not as good as DS1, even though it had more hype at launch than DS1 did.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Yeah well, they we
I actually prefer post-apocalyptic to fantasy by a huge margin, but i still prefer PoE over WL2. WL2 is unfinished, had bizzare design choices

I believe they made two of them. Those are mentioned here :
http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=9453

Obsidian aren't completely the same thing as Black Isle. But yes, that's what i meant.

Nothing will ever be same as Black Isle, Obsidian is just the closest thing we get that is somewhat similar.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom