Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News Obsidian Reveals 'Project Eternity' - Kickstarter Live

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Zed, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Zed Codex Staff Patron

Zed
    Parrots:
    Codex USB, 2014
    Tags: Kickstarter; Obsidian Entertainment; Pillars of Eternity

Link: Project Eternity Kickstarter

EDIT: Kickstarter fully funded in a little over a day! Party time!

Project Eternity is the (working?) title of Obsidian Entertainment's next game, an isometric party-based CRPG set in a new fantasy setting (hooray for new IPs!).

Here's the run-down:

[​IMG]

Project Eternity will take the central hero, memorable companions and the epic exploration of Baldur’s Gate, add in the fun, intense combat and dungeon diving of Icewind Dale, and tie it all together with the emotional writing and mature thematic exploration of Planescape: Torment.

Combat uses a tactical real-time with pause system - positioning your party and coordinating attacks and abilities is one of the keys to success. The world map is dotted with unique locations and wilderness ripe for exploration and questing. You’ll create your own character and collect companions along the way – taking him or her not just through this story, but, with your continued support, through future adventures. You will engage in dialogues that are deep, and offer many choices to determine the fate of you and your party. …and you'll experience a story that explores mature themes and presents you with complex, difficult choices to shape how your story plays out.

We are excited at this chance to create something new, yet reminiscent of those great games and we want you to be a part of it as well.

Click here to go to the Kickstarter page and read more about it. There will probably be a ton of interviews and stuff during the next 30 days, so stay tuned for all that.

Update
    Gamebanshee has an interview up with Feargus Urquhart already! It might offer a little more in-depth information than the Kickstarter page. For instance:

Buck: What can you tell us about the entirely new fantasy world you're building, and would you categorize it as high/low magic or high/low/heroic fantasy? Why did you decide to go with fantasy instead of a lesser used theme, and what are some unique elements that set your world apart from the many others already out there?

Feargus: We talked a lot about the genre and to be honest we kept on coming back to fantasy. With all the experience we have had with a lot of varied fantasy settings, we are really looking for to taking our unique approach with factions, characters and mature themes to the setting. Ultimately, we really feel that what an RPG is about is the characters and the story – not the setting. Hit points are hit points whether you are killing past, present or future zombies. What engages and what keeps you going in an RPG are characters that you love and hate and story lines that tug at your emotions.

Buck: You stated that you're shooting for a mature game with themes that treat players as adults. Does this mean that there will be difficult choices with harsh consequences, realistic scenarios of repression, racism, and survival, bloody and ever-present war, shocking dialogue, or all of the above?

Feargus: Chris Avellone said it best when he talked about how we want tackle Mature subject matter. We are already getting to make South Park which gets all of the “dick and fart jokes” out of our system. In Project Eternity, we want to tell a story that treats players like adults. Does that mean sensationalistic topics – potentially. It means more that if a story is going in a direction our designers don’t need to shy away from how it concludes.

Buck: Speaking of dialogue, are you also using the Infinity Engine games as a source of inspiration for how to handle dialogue trees and voiceovers? Will there be voiceovers for major cutscenes and for flavor at the start of a conversation, but vast branches of dialogue that are text-only? Will our attributes, abilities, or previous actions affect our dialogue choices?

Feargus: Our goal is to use voice over as flavor and not as something that exists for every written word in the game. We don’t want to cut down on the depth of dialogs or the number of choices that players have because we are counting voice over dollars. That means, like practically every Obsidian project to date, we are going to push the boundaries of reactivity in our dialogs. And, the more we get funded the more we can do that.

• Brofist Brofist x 12
    ^ Top  
  2. Alex_Steel Arcane Patron

Alex_Steel
    Parrots:
    :takemymoney:

Take my fucking money!

• Brofist Brofist x 8
    ^ Top  
  3. Brother None inXile Entertainment Developer

Brother None
    Parrots:
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. 1eyedking Erudite

1eyedking
    Parrots:
    It will fucking suck.

I'll come back to see this message in 2013/2014 to gloat in bliss.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  5. CappenVarra Phantasmist Patron

CappenVarra
    Parrots:
    - In before RtWP bitchin and moaning.
    - Needs DRM-free download (fuck Steam).
    - Needs BGs option to create the whole party.
    - Codex fundraiser now!

^ Top  
  6. 1eyedking Erudite

1eyedking
    Parrots:
    It will fucking suck.

I'll come back to see this message in 2013/2014 to gloat in bliss.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    Parrots:
    SO MUCH NAMEBOMBING

TIM

MCA

SAWYER

OH MY FUCKING GOD IAMCUMMINGSOMANYBUCKETS

ahem

Make it so :obviously:

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  8. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator Patron

Jaesun
    Parrots:
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    :bro::yeah:
    :takemymoney:

I didn't even watch the video yet. Just clicked BACK THIS!

FUCK YES OBSIDIAN! 1 MILLION BRO FISTS TO YOU!!!!

OK I should probably watch the video now.

• Brofist Brofist x 10
    ^ Top  
  9. Stelcio Savant

Stelcio
    Parrots:
    So it is mehdieval hilaroic fantasy after all. They even admit it in the video. All that hype just to announce BG-copypaste "spiritual successor" attempt. :keepmymoney:

Although I understand some will cum all over themselves, it's just not my cup of tea.

^ Top  
  10. Black Arcane

Black
    Parrots:
    Anty-pledged.

^ Top  
  11. l3loodAngel Proud INTJ Patron Edgy

l3loodAngel
    Parrots:
    :takemyjewgold:

^ Top  
  12. FeelTheRads Arcane Patron

FeelTheRads
    Parrots:
    Sounds pretty good, I guess. Don't trust Obsidian too much to not fuck it, though.

So, goal reached in 2 days?

^ Top  
  13. Sleepwalker Novice

Sleepwalker
    Parrots:
    Ughuh.. uguh... ubuhhhh.....

Hubbuhhaahhhaaahahaha! YES! This is almost too good to be true.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. The Great Deceiver Trickster Patron

The Great Deceiver
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    It would appear that the hivemind is currently experiencing a sensory overload.

Well, no wonder - it's the Second Renaissance, and not even real-time combat with pause will make me think otherwise. Now we'll finally have too many good cRPGs to play. When was the last year you could say that?

2013/2014, fuck yeah, here we come.

Concept art (the little we have seen of it) looks good. Waiting for more details.

Could still end up turn-based due to popular demand, no?

^ Top  
  15. Anthony Davis Obsidian Entertainment Developer

Anthony Davis
    Parrots:
    Huzzah! Gonna give some of my monies to Obsidian! Woot!

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. oldmanpaco Master of Siestas

oldmanpaco
    Parrots:
    Well they didn't screw around listing all the IE games.

^ Top  
  17. Rivmusique Arcane Patron

Rivmusique
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Fuck
    Yeah, we'll see.

Pledged, will probably up it later. Codex drive going to happen?

^ Top  
  18. J1M Arcane

J1M
    Parrots:
    I gave them minimum dollars for a copy. Would have gone higher if it was turn-based.

^ Top  
  19. Unorus Janco Lurker

Unorus Janco
    Parrots:
    Not my cup of tea, I don't like the Infinity Engine games that much (I love Torment in spite of the engine)... But I want more classic 2D RPGs with relatively high production values, so I'm fucking in.

:takemyjewgold:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Gondolin Arcane

Gondolin
    Parrots:
    This is what I've been waiting for. Here's hoping that Obsidian will prove wrong all those people who said: "The public no longer wants isometric games and complex stories. They want chest-high walls and and awesome buttons."

Obligatory :yeah: :5/5:

^ Top  
  21. quasimodo Augur

quasimodo
    Parrots:
    RTwP was the first step down the slipperly slope of decline that lead to the current state of RPGs being FPP or OTS RT games.

I might buy and enjoy the game if the writings good (and it probably will be), but I will not pay anyone to create the clusterfuck of RTwP combat.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  22. Alex_Steel Arcane Patron

Alex_Steel
    Parrots:
    I will personally stop the fucking Maya prophecy from coming true! Mystery planets? Comets? Black holes? Aliens? Volcanoes? Pack your shit and move your apocalypse to another solar system, no way is the world ending before 2014! :x

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Azael Magister

Azael
    Parrots:
    Wasteland 2
    [​IMG]

^ Top  
  24. IDtenT Contact me for a good time Patron

IDtenT
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin
    I won't pledge directly. Will be waiting cautiously, but unlike many on the Codex I'm not overly fond of Infinity games - especially those made by Black Isle.

^ Top  
  25. VentilatorOfDoom RPG Codex Staff

VentilatorOfDoom
    Parrots:
    Last time I've preordered an Obsidian game what I got was Alpha Protocol. So, I seriously considered whether to pledge or not for at least 2 seconds. Went with 65+15 international shipping. Will be butthurt if let down. Man is not a learning animal etc.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)