Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Obsidian teasing game reveal at The Game Awards

Unwanted

SlumLord

Unwanted
Edgy
MRY
Wait, what? TToN launched 2 years before Deadfire. Did you mean PoE1, or?

Unwanted

SlumLord

Unwanted
Edgy
Sorry, meant POE, not POE2.
Yeah, I gathered as much. ;)

But anyway, that kinda does prove my point: devs think highly of this place because there's always quality discussions going on, though to take any of it to heart would inevitably lead to poorer sales.

And before the peanut gallery bombs this post with feces, think about it for a bit and you'll realize I'm right - everything we want from games makes said products less digestible to normies.

All any prospective dev has to take from the Dex is that making a good game requires a talented team; hiring should be done according to merit, not sex or skin color or connections.

Early RPGs were amazing because they were made by dedicated fanatics who weren't obsessed with status or money or social standing - in fact, most of them were rejects.

But their contemporaries keep coming back here because longing for the unattainable is a key part of human nature. And they know we don't respect them or their work.

As an aside, I respect you MRY , and your efforts, but I hope you realize just how much of a cargo-cult product T:ToN was. Any RPG dev worth his history would already know the things Roxor wrote - they wouldn't need a breakdown of the type of game they were trying to make.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
FWIW, Darth Roxor's review of POE2 was required reading for Torment leads and the entire writing team. (Insert jokes about the consequences that had.)
Fargo: Read this review!
Them: 'k. *does so, ignores everything it says*

Unwanted

SlumLord

Unwanted
Edgy
Roguey
Could you assemble a car engine just by reading a bunch of schematics?

The people who made T:ToN were woefully unequipped to take on a project of that weight.

And I don't mean in scope -- any idiot can produce quantity (as PoE2 attests) -- but the interconnected narrative and quality of PS:T.

Fargo would've been better served going for a Fallout type CRPG. Post-apoc games do better with plot/setting, and don't have to lean as much on convoluted storylines.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
(1) "Early RPGs were amazing because they were made by dedicated fanatics who weren't obsessed with status or money or social standing." I've made this point a lot of times. It is a real challenge that there's no way to scale up from Vault Dweller -- the qualities that make him so great at what he does would not make it easy to build a studio around him. Also, IMO this is what doomed TTON's narrative from a structural perspective. PS:T's story was basically a one-man show, TTON's wasn't.

(2) "everything we want from games makes said products less digestible to normies" Not true. You're confusing fringe Codex positions from core ones. A lot of what the Codex likes actually does appeal to everyone, it just doesn't make it into mass market games because it'shard to do.

(3) "devs think highly of this place" Sadly, I think the tense is mostly wrong.

(4) "Any RPG dev worth his history would already know the things Roxor wrote" That's not true, and it undervalues the editorial. A lot of its points were not low-hanging fruit, but sophisticated points about conveying lore, use of voice acting, etc. Also, given that the team included Ziets and Saunders, and no sane person would question their knowledge of the genre.

(5) Roguey It wasn't Fargo's direction.

(6) "Fargo would've been better served going for a Fallout type CRPG"
:notsureifserious:

Anyway, I'll butt out.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
This entire site is incapable of generating sales, and no, the few thousand (if even that) copies that members can purchase for themselves doesn't mean jack shit for any company above the tiniest of indies.
Haha. Bullshit.

Devs that start creating "alt accounts" and hyper-focusing on speculative discussions here, do so because they see unguided trends set here as some kind of threat to their project - and make attempts of controlling discussions however they can. It's always transparent lol. Amusing when you don't think people will pick up on it.

Last edited:
Unwanted

SlumLord

Unwanted
Edgy
A lot of what the Codex likes actually does appeal to everyone, it just doesn't make it into mass market games because it'shard to do.
I don't know, man. Surgeons operate on people with great frequency and perform incredibly demanding procedures, and you're telling me some twat programmer/writer can't produce consistent, polished content because it's "hard"? I think it's more an issue of creative types being drama queens who can't be arsed to perform and assess in an objective manner, and programmers drowning under feature creep (which, to be honest, is management's fault).

Sadly, I think the tense is mostly wrong.
Is it? They try awfully hard to get noticed. MCA is a liberal commie, yet he spends a huge amount of time interacting with people like us who spit on everything he believes in (apart from game design, obviously). And he's not the only one. The Dex is mentioned in hushed, almost revered tones everywhere from Obsidian forums to /v/ on the various chans. It's the irreverent attitude of this community - people are weak herd animals by nature and worship anything with a backbone.

That's not true, and it undervalues the editorial. A lot of its points were not low-hanging fruit, but sophisticated points about conveying lore, use of voice acting, etc.
I don't mean any disrespect to your or the fuzzy rat who wrote the review, but most of it is common sense. Sure there's some finer points in there, but the meat of it is built upon 20 years of CRPG design than any dev should have in his little finger.

Ziets and Saunders
Those two have talent, but they're hamstrung by lack of control. They're the equivalent of Hollywood scribes who produce good screenplays but get overruled by retarded execs.

(6) "Fargo would've been better served going for a Fallout type CRPG"
I'm serious. You can't make a Torment game without a fuckton of cultivated talent (ie., seasoned dev team), and an authoritative asshole in charge who'll tell interns and juniors that their work is shit (and just how to fix it). The Fallouts lean more on setting and plot than narrative (you're a writer - you know the difference). T:ToN should've been a post-apoc game, with the atmosphere as the main character. That way Inexile could've made a game with separate hubs joined together by an overarching storyline which loosely links them (like in Fallout 1/2), instead of trying to recreate the arguably most famous and well-made RPG of all time.

Again, not shitting on your work, but do you think anyone on the T:ToN team has the chops to write the next Lord of the Rings book, despite knowing what it's about and how it's structured? Same thing applies to PS:T.

Anyway, I'll butt out.
Why? It's always a pleasure to discuss RPGs with you. And please don't take my replies as disrespect - I think you do us all a great service with your insights into the industry.

Last edited:
Unwanted

SlumLord

Unwanted
Edgy
Devs that start creating "alt accounts" and hyper-focusing on speculative discussions here, do so because they see unguided trends set here as some kind of threat to their project
Yes, indie games that fail to move over 15,000 units are a lethal threat to companies with dozens of employees and million-dollar budgets. All that market share lost, like tears in the rain... :smug:

and make attempts of controlling discussions however they can
Devs come here to get their fix, because lord knows no one at work or at home respects them. Such is a cuck's life. Maybe they'd make better games if they weren't such limp-wristed fags. :lol:

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
will no one pluck the low hanging fruit?

I'm serious. You can't make a Torment game without a fuckton of cultivated talent (ie., seasoned dev team), and an authoritative asshole in charge who'll tell interns and juniors that their work is shit (and just how to fix it). The Fallouts lean more on setting and plot than narrative (you're a writer - you know the difference). T:ToN should've been a post-apoc game, with the atmosphere as the main character. That way Inexile could've made a game with separate hubs joined together by an overarching storyline which loosely links them (like in Fallout 1/2), instead of trying to recreate the arguably most famous and well-made RPG of all time.

...so inXile should’ve made a game like, say, Wasteland 2?

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
will no one pluck the low hanging fruit?
...so inXile should’ve made a game like, say, Wasteland 2?

Low hanging fruit how?

Wasteland 2 is exactly what it claimed to be - the sequel to Wasteland. If you never played it you'd probably think yourself smart in drawing a comparison to Fallout 1/2 in some sort of "gotcha" moment at InXile. When it was never their plan to just rehash Fallout.

Their only crime was giving TTON all the budget for art design, waste.

Black Angel

Arcane
Aww, c'mon. I think
OnTheEdge.png
isn't enough to describe SlumLord's constant butthurt-induced crusade against the Codex.

Now that it's time to give the diagnosis, let me begin *carefully observe SlumLord's posts in the last few pages*

Mm-hmm.... mm-hmm.... Alright! I've concluded that no existing tags (or at least, those that I know of) would be enough for SlumLord, because

:butthurt:

And thus, I hereby petition, in addition to tagging SlumLord with it, a whole brand new tag called

P E R P E T U A L L Y B U T T H U R T ™

FeelTheRads

Arcane
No it wasn't you shit-spewing nigger. And there were some system configs it failed to boot and run. Just because you have a hard-on for garbage doesn't mean it's justified. Cretin.

More retarded shit.

You can find system configs that won't work for any game.
I'm not saying it wasn't very buggy, but your "uplayable" shit is just retarded.
And no, you have no clue what you're talking about. First you say it took years to be playable (alluding to the fan patches) but when I told you it was playable with the last official patch you backed down like the disgusting drooling retard that you are and latched on the word "last". Which was even more retarded and even more proof of how clueless you are.

It was unplayable, shit-for-brains!

What exactly is "unplayable"? Oh right, you only play flawless games so "unplayable" must be anything that's not flawless. Kill yourself, retard.

Game was perfectly playable. I actually played it. You're just a retarded moron who later heard about how buggy it was.

More proof that you are completely clueless about anything you talk about? Your retarded post about Cormac McCarthy. No, retard, he didn't ditch punctuation in just one of his novels. That's his writing style. So, yet another thing you overheard somewhere. Try to do some research at least before pretending you know about something and embarrassing yourself like this.
Not to mention the immense stupidity of your "analysis" of punctuation in literature.

getting worked up into a frenzy

Go look at your posts, you subhuman piece of shit. Any disagreement with your retarded shit makes you froth at the mouth. OMGF THEY DONT AGREE THAT UNLESS A GAME IS FLAWLESS ITS UNPLAYABLE AAAHARHRGGGGG

Oh yeah, and your stupidity about how making flawless games will make you big and famous and then you can do niche complex games. Fucking lol.

No, you worm, it just doesn't work. If you're big and famous you won't give a shit about niche products and you can shit out "uplayable" games and everybody will eat them up like, say, Bethesda does.

You magical company that goes through your made up steps to perfect games does not exist and will never exist.

Literally everything you say is completely retarded and wrong.

Last edited:

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Low hanging fruit how?
When someone repeatedly bashes inXile for not making a post apocalyptic game with a certain set of features, pointing out the existence of WL2 is low hanging fruit. Where did I say anything critical about the game?
Sorry. It's your avatar. Just think you all have alts you talk to sarcastically to avoid direct scrutiny.
text-heavy isometric CRPGs are a niche market and don't cater to normies or their tastes
Wasteland 2 not being text heavy enough - too "normie" or some shit?

Blame Junta for starting that hand-puppet cult :lol: Probably has an alt set up just to review it after TTON review lol.

Last edited:

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
That's why I would settle for something on par or even slightly lower than Fallout: a new world to explore, branching narrative with choices-and-consequences, fully usable skills and perks system, decent combat, ending slides and gore animations.

You'd settle for them making something that is on par with one of the greatest games ever made, those are realistic expectations for you?

Fallout isn't great because it was revolutionary or innovative or any similar crap people repeat like parrots but because of its design formula (which is still fresh today mainly because it was so rarely attempted again) and excellence in visuals and audio department. A lot of things have to fall in place for such a quality game to be made, not sure having Cain and Boyarsky driving it is enough, especially working under constraint of a big budget console game.

A good game (sprinkled with moments of brilliance) is certainly possible but a great one? Yeah, not holding my breath.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I see Junmarko is off his meds again.

No, dude, the developers of Disco Elysium are not running a communist alt conspiracy on the Codex

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
A lot of things have to fall in place for such a quality game to be made, Cain and Boyarsky driving it is enough, especially working under constraint of a big budget console game.
Lol it's like sports. Everyone here is just a true fanatic of the greats and can't help but observe winning streaks.

:lol:

I see Junmarko is off his meds again.

No, dude, the developers of Disco Elysium are not running a communist alt conspiracy on the Codex

Looking at CamelCaps all day fucks with your ability to pick up jest doesn't it? :lol:

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom