Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Obsidian to co-develop Wasteland 2 if Kickstarter reaches $2.1mil

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
I am a bit disappointed that there is no mention of Tim Cain possibly helping too:(

ain't tim busy with working on south park anyway? thq won't be happy to read something else. guess chris has a lot of freetime after the next major project got canceled and the potential secret thing is just in a prototype stasis.

Or maybe he is working on the next Fallout/Arcanum. Which would be even more awesome than W2.

:love:

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
keep Obsidian away from this project, we don't need them anymore now that a dev of some renown is REALLY trying to make a real RPG.

eh you could always look at this more realistically and say that MCA's name is there to get WL2 extra content-making dollers

for all you know he might be there to design like one town and add some snap to the dialog here and there, not take over the whole thing

Seriously I don't know how anyone figures obsidian is going to totally obsidianise it up when they're the ones coming in as an extra element, inxile is in charge here and made it to 1.6 mil by itself, why would they even go and let the new extra designer muscle THEY hired take their scene over and start calling all the shots

MCA
So $500K is how much it takes to license Obsidian's tech and hire their consultation.

Sadly this is a pipe dream. It will never reach $2.1M. Momentum is gone and this is too late a news.

I'm not so sure Onyx will be in the picture, because they've already obligated themselves to making Mac and Linux ports. Now, maybe Onyx is portable to OSX and Linux, but DS3 was only Windows and consoles.

That's because Squirt Enix has zero interest in releasing a game for OSX or Linux.

For fuck's sake, everytime people talk about game engines, I cringe so hard, it generates hate waves that kill babies die in their mothers' wombs. People have an extremely poor understanding of what a game engine means.

Semper

Cipher
MCA Project: Eternity
If Inxile can't pull off Wasteland on its own, then they should probably quit the business.

guess that's just coincidence. they probably licensed onyx and talked about how it would be if they both worked on w2 to create something really big. one thing leads to another and they came up with this clever marketing to raise even more money. so why not? chris' a good writer and i doubt that this damages wasteland in any way.

So $500K is how much it takes to license Obsidian's tech and hire their consultation.

perhaps brian just wants to support fellow obsidian with some cash?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
TwinkieGorilla

No need to be impolite man. If you guys are happy, good for you! This isn't what I had in mind when I signed up, though.
I'm not sure what you think has changed? Just curious...
Same here, why Obsidian givin a hand with more content suddenly makes the game worse? Worst case scenario it will be like the jump in content & coherence that happened from Fallout 1 to 2, but still a good game, no?

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2

Sadly this is a pipe dream. It will never reach $2.1M. Momentum is gone and this is too late a news.
I would say it is extremely likely for it to happen, given how Kickstarter projects usually seem to go -- dead in the middle, large burst at the end -- and the fact that it has pulled down around 40k in the last 3 hours

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
The way i see things, and i may be wrong, Fargo will have Avellone oversee the writing, besides he'll be able to dig in the questlines and assets of Obsidian's numerous cancelled projects (alien RPG meaning weapon and character models, and so forth).
While we're at it they wouldn't use Onyx to turn this into a 3d project (too expensive in the end), so what's with the complaining ?

Alex

Arcane
mindx2

After reading Brother None's post in the W2 forum, I am not sure anything has changed. But I was thinking Wasteland 2 was going to be a game where story elements wouldn't be so "in your face" as they are in newer games, and as Avellone is widely known for. I was hoping the story and character interactions would be kept to a less overt, allowing for a greater integration with puzzles and other non static content. The problem, I guess, isn't so much that Obsidian isn't a good fit, as I at first was afraid, but that this game is different enough from the original that Obsidian is, indeed, a good fit.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
This news sounds like it tailored for the RPGCodex.
*** Update #7: Please read the detail in the latest update to get details on the possible involvement of Obsidian/Chris Avellone for Wasteland 2. It is very exciting news.

MCA! MCA! MCA! Alll over the board. Did I die or am I dreaming? Or is Brian just a great producer?

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Fuuuuck me this is good news. Good thing that the pledge-thing will remain open as I won't have any money to drop into this until later. All fingers crossed that they will surpass the 2.1 million mark.

Oh and the obligatory:
lS5qt.gif

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Worst case scenario it will be like the jump in content & coherence that happened from Fallout 1 to 2, but still a good game, no?

Sure, if you're naive and short-sighted (not a dig at you, felipe) and assume Avellone learned nothing from his mistakes in Fallout 2 and the feedback/criticism of fans. The writing in Dead Money was excellent so was his essay on the Obsidian blog/forum about survival aspects. And, like it or not, the depth of the branching quests in FO2 is something that could help incline any game.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
and the fact that it has pulled down around 40k in the last 3 hours

All of which seems to have come from a few philantropists judging by those graphs. It's comparable to The Codex Bump(tm) in the timeline of donations.
Uh, no. There have been no new 10k, or 5k contributions (at least none that have shown up yet). There was one new 2.5k, there are no 1k slots available, so all the rest came from 500 or less.

And for reference, the Double Fine kickstarter took in around 700k in their last week, and ~450k in the final day, after having dropped to around 1-2k/day at its lowest point.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I am a bit disappointed that there is no mention of Tim Cain possibly helping too:(

Tim's a programmer first and foremost. And he didn't used to be too fond of Fargo. Anyway, him being involved isn't the most obvious pick of the lot.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Double Fine kickstarter took in around 700k in their last week, and ~450k in the final day

the eleventh hour 450k very likely coming from people who were just watching, saw that this thing surpassed expectations and was a safe bet, then got in before it was too late for their own copy

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Worst case scenario it will be like the jump in content & coherence that happened from Fallout 1 to 2, but still a good game, no?

Sure, if you're naive and short-sighted (not a dig at you, felipe) and assume Avellone learned nothing from his mistakes in Fallout 2 and the feedback/criticism of fans. The writing in Dead Money was excellent so was his essay on the Obsidian blog/forum about survival aspects. And, like it or not, the depth of the branching quests in FO2 is something that could help incline any game.
Agreed, that's why I said "worst case", as I believe that he will only add to the team. That said, I understand (but don't share) Alex's dissapoint at this becoming more of a new Fallout than Wasteland 2.

TripJack

Hedonist
you guys are fucking retarded sometimes

obsidians games are shit

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom