Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian wants to make a game for you

Shannow

Waster of Time
IronicNeurotic said:
KalosKagathos said:
AG: On that topic, Obsidian would probably be the best guys to ask about this, but do you think the days of turn-based RPGs are done? Are we just gonna get some mix of action and RPG from here on out?

RT: I think it's still doable. Dragon Age was quite successful. It wasn't necessarily turn-based, but it was very much pause-and-play, especially if you kicked the difficulty up.
Why do I like these guys again? The idiocy of this statement hurts physically.
Alexandros said:
They kinda did that with New Vegas. They made a good game and dressed it up in shitty brown next-gen clothes in order to lure in the sheeple.
Right. NV is the exact same game as 3, VATS and all. They just dressed it up with nice writing and C&C, so that storyfags who have no clue about what makes games good would buy it. It worked spectacularly.

KalosKagathos cannot into sarcasm
RT: I think it's still doable. Dragon Age was quite successful. It wasn't necessarily turn-based, but it was very much pause-and-play, especially if you kicked the difficulty up. It was very challenging if you did not play is it as a tactical RPG. I thought that was a fantastic game, and I thoroughly enjoyed it

(Emphasis on tactical)

Are you really that dense? Also in another question he mocks Oblivion. Hes nearly a codexer for fucks sake.
RT: We have some ideas, and we talk about them, and exploring ways to make that possible. You have to figure out, what would be the market for it, what's a way we could release that and actually have it be viable. There are a lot of things we have to solve for. We talk about it. A lot.

AG: Oblivion was a controversial game, especially in the RPG crowd. It was often seen as "Baby's First RPG". But, it made a lot of new RPG fans, and even though Bethesda went from fantasy to post-apocalyptic with guns, they were able to take the fanbase from Morrowind and Oblivion and apply it to Fallout, which was not Baby's First RPG anymore -
I still don't get what's supposed to sarcastic about the first remark. Especially not in a way that affects the whole "he doesn't even understand what "TB" means"-angle. "It's difficult if you don't use tactics" is a snide remark, nothing more.
As was mentioned "baby's first RPG" is the interviewer. And in the same paragraph he describes FO3 as being a mature, serious business RPG... Not only that, one can take "baby's first RPG" and understand it as:
Arena = shit game, no RPG
Daggerfall = shit game, no RPG
Morrowind = shit game, no RPG
Oblivion = they finally got it, serious incline, so so game but finally an RPG
FO3 = mature RPG, Beth are finally where they should have been all along...

I don't get why you guys always build those Obsidian castles in the sky. They'll never make a good TB RPG. They wouldn't get funded and I'm not sure they'd actually want to make one. The best you can expect from them is popamole with slightly better writing, story and C&C than their competition...

.Sigurd

Educated
Shannow said:
:retarded:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Shannow said:
The best you can expect from them is popamole with slightly better writing, story and C&C than their competition...
When did the term "popamole" became equivalent with RPGs? Popamoles are shitty cover based shooters dammit! :x Their only and probably last game which was popamole was Alpha Protocol.

thesisko

Emissary
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Shannow said:
The best you can expect from them is popamole with slightly better writing, story and C&C than their competition...

MotB in a better engine sounds good to me.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
thesisko said:
Shannow said:

MotB in a better engine sounds good to me.

Yes MOTB is still their Opus Magnum. Though I still liked Kotor 2 better. Anyway they will not make anything similar because no one will pay for it. They can only get money from publishers for things similar to DA2. Which is the tragedy...

thesisko

Emissary
l3loodAngel said:
Yes MOTB is still their Opus Magnum. Though I still liked Kotor 2 better. Anyway they will not make anything similar because no one will pay for it. They can only get money from publishers for things similar to DA2. Which is the tragedy...

Storm of Zehir came out just 2.5 years ago. What's happened in between that makes it so impossible? And DA:O sold more than DA2.

Shannow

Waster of Time
.Sigurd said:
Shannow said:
You might consider giving back that medal for reading comprehension you got in pre-school. Standards have risen and you're simply not able to keep up.

J_C said:
Shannow said:
When did the term "popamole" became equivalent with RPGs? Popamoles are shitty cover based shooters dammit! Their only and probably last game which was popamole was Alpha Protocol.
Yeah, I don't differentiate between whackamole and popamole. Sorry for that. And I'd put NV in the popamole-genre, too.

The best you can expect from them is popamole or whackamole with slightly better writing, story and C&C than their competition...

Better?

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
thesisko said:
l3loodAngel said:

Storm of Zehir came out just 2.5 years ago. What's happened in between that makes it so impossible? And DA:O sold more than DA2.

Expansion packs are much easier to pitch to publishers. The main game will already have an install base at that point, and expansions are easier to develop because at that point there's already a stable engine to work with, at least some of the assets are already developed, and the developers should be familiar with the toolset by that point. Also there's some financial stability because people who liked the main game are likely to buy the expansion too.

So yeah, SoZ was only a few years ago, but the industry has changed since NWN2 came out in 2006.

thesisko

Emissary
Xor said:
So yeah, SoZ was only a few years ago, but the industry has changed since NWN2 came out in 2006.

The industry hasn't only had negative changes. If they went digital only and priced it lower than a retail game they could probably sell as many copies as NWN2 sold with a better profit margin. NWN2 Platinum has shot to Steam no. 1 in (which is measured by revenue) every time it has been on sale. And this is a 5 year old game.

And what exactly has happened since 2006? NWN2 has had 2 successful expansions and Bioware has had significant success with a similar title, which was also much better received critically and commercially than it's "consolized" successor. I'm not saying anyone will be throwing money at Obsidian, but I don't think it's utterly impossible either.

.Sigurd

Educated
Shannow said:
.Sigurd said:
Shannow said:
You might consider giving back that medal for reading comprehension you got in pre-school. Standards have risen and you're simply not able to keep up.
Sorry bro, the comparison between TES games completely stole my attention from the rest of your post.
And no, I prefer to keep my medal, It's shiny and means a lot to me.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Captain Shrek said:
DS3 has to compete against D3.
Did we get a release date to D3 yet? People are saying the DS3 has to compete with D3, but as far as I know, DS3 will be without competion for quite a while (half a year maybe?). This might give a boost to sales.

Luzur

Good Sir
they want to make a game for me?

okay, gimme Baldur's Gate III, not dumbed down or made FPV and true to the lore.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Captain Shrek said:
J_C said:
Captain Shrek said:
DS3 has to compete against D3.
Did we get a release date to D3 yet? People are saying the DS3 has to compete with D3, but as far as I know, DS3 will be without competion for quite a while (half a year maybe?). This might give a boost to sales.

I sincerely hope you are right. I would hate to see Obsidian go bankrupt.
They've already been paid to make DS3, if it flops, Square Enix will be the one out of money, not them. I recall some SE assistant director saying they expect it to ship at least a million (across three platforms), which isn't too absurdly high a goal. It's possible if they reach that goal and reach a certain metacritic threshold they'll get some bonuses, depending on the terms of their contract.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Roguey said:
They've already been paid to make DS3, if it flops, Square Enix will be the one out of money, not them. I recall some SE assistant director saying they expect it to ship at least a million (across three platforms), which isn't too absurdly high a goal. It's possible if they reach that goal and reach a certain metacritic threshold they'll get some bonuses, depending on the terms of their contract.
Developers live and die by their last game, typically. Unless Obsidian have any sort of deals lined up beyond Dungeon Siege III in the case it bombs, there's actually a very good chance they'll be laying off even more people, and potentially even going out of business altogether. Their reputation is enough that Alpha Protocol didn't outright kill them, but you can bet that two major failures within five years would make investors recoil.

Gondolin

Arcane
Luzur said:
they want to make a game for me?

okay, gimme Baldur's Gate III, not dumbed down or made FPV and true to the lore.

A couple of years ago I would've jumped at this, but not anymore. Give me stats that are actually relevant outside of combat.

If Obsidian wants to make a game for me, tell them to make PS:Two (no fuckin' first person allowed) or to put their resources at VD's disposal for AoD2.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Gondolin said:
If Obsidian wants to make a game for me, tell them to make PS:Two (no fuckin' first person allowed) or to put their resources at VD's disposal for AoD2.
May 07, Santa Ana - Obsidian Entertainment announce Planescape: Annihilation. Take the fight to the vicious and deadly demonic Abishai, as you uphold the justice of the Nameless Kingdom! In Annihilation, players will explore a unique and beautiful fantasy world from first-person perspective powered by a new iteration of Bethesda's groundbreaking Gamebryo(TM) technology, plunder over 200 different dungeons in search of randomly-generated treasure, and eventually overthrow the evil, malevolent force that threatens all of the Planes in an epic battle that will stand the test of time! Thrilling and visceral action-style real-time combat intertwines with role-playing character development, ensuring that players of all skill levels, ages, and demographics will find something to enjoy.

"The Planescape universe is one of the most beloved of any RPG. We understand that many fans have strong emotional ties to the world, and want to do it justice by preserving what makes it so much fun, while at the same time bringing it to a new audience who may not be so interested in Dungeons & Dragons" said Chris Avellone, project director. "To that end, we've made sure all the hallmarks are there, like sexy tieflings and awesome killer robots. We think players will be thrilled by how we've updated and streamlined the game for the new generation, and the less fortunate minority of PC gamers will be pleased to know we've included things like the ability to change your screen resolution and bindable keys, ensuring their experience is just as wonderful as the lead version on Xbox 360."

Luzur

Good Sir
sea said:
Gondolin said:
May 07, Santa Ana - Obsidian Entertainment announce Planescape: Annihilation. Take the fight to the vicious and deadly demonic Abishai, as you uphold the justice of the Nameless Kingdom! In Annihilation, players will explore a unique and beautiful fantasy world from first-person perspective powered by a new iteration of Bethesda's groundbreaking Gamebryo(TM) technology, plunder over 200 different dungeons in search of randomly-generated treasure, and eventually overthrow the evil, malevolent force that threatens all of the Planes in an epic battle that will stand the test of time! Thrilling and visceral action-style real-time combat intertwines with role-playing character development, ensuring that players of all skill levels, ages, and demographics will find something to enjoy.

"The Planescape universe is one of the most beloved of any RPG. We understand that many fans have strong emotional ties to the world, and want to do it justice by preserving what makes it so much fun, while at the same time bringing it to a new audience who may not be so interested in Dungeons & Dragons" said Chris Avellone, project director. "To that end, we've made sure all the hallmarks are there, like sexy tieflings and awesome killer robots. We think players will be thrilled by how we've updated and streamlined the game for the new generation, and the less fortunate minority of PC gamers will be pleased to know we've included things like the ability to change your screen resolution and bindable keys, ensuring their experience is just as wonderful as the lead version on Xbox 360."

wat

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
Well, if they ever get seriously low on funds, they could organize a "Have coffee with MCA for only $499 per hour!" sale ;)

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
CappenVarra said:
Well, if they ever get seriously low on funds, they could organize a "Have coffee with MCA for only $499 per hour!" sale ;)
And we would be first in the line to pay for that. :smug:

Mortmal

Arcane
I dont want planescape 2 or BG3, you guys have no imagination, you deserves your hiking simulators , no i want a game that gives me the same entertainement, the same surprise those gave me when i first tried them, or the first time i played x-com , well you get the idea.
A new ip a new settings something completely alien, with serious gameplay in, no cinematics except intro and end, gameplay, interactions,meaningfull dialogue tree .
if you really want a license and minimize the risks just pick one quality pen and paper rpg and adapt it, that way you could be sure the core mechanism are good enough.
No not D&D again, i am fed up of elves and dwarves and really the fact that indies like vogel still use those kind of settings is depressing.
Try those , its probably cheaper to get the license anyway :

S2P10204_Large.png

EGS1003.gif

Now if you really really wants dwarves and elves you could try something else:
GMD1000-1.JPG

I am not even asking soemthing like that, now that would requires real balls to make:

Kult_front_cover.jpg

Mortmal

Arcane
Easy to forgot when we are only served dumbed down generic fantasy , and they are not even rpgs anymore . Its preaching in the desert, i doubt any developper is reading the codex anymore.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom