Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Obsidian's new game is The Outer Worlds, a first-person sci-fi RPG set on a corporate space colony

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
Skyrim is not the best example to use given that your average Codexer clocked atleast 100 hours playing that turd (which means they like the game no matter what excuse they use). Whether vanilla or modded is irrelevant.

Skyrim is not RPG it is FPS:smug:

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Fallout 4 sold alot because of the positive brand effect of Skyrim, well, I can say Fallout 76 isnt exactly what I would call a positive brand effect generating game. Ubisoft discovered that with Watch Dogs, they made a half assed game that sold alot and then were royaly fucked on the sequel as people got fed up with the shit. The best case scenario for us is that Starfield will be a flop and Bethesda closes doors, the worst result for us is that Bethesda will need to invest ALOT more money than they expected on it to repair brand damage and won't be able to half ass it like they planned to do, the end result of both scenarios will be Bethesda's pain and that is pretty good for me.:smug:

The best result would be a cash-strapped Zenimax (they haven’t been doing that well lately, have they?) deciding to sell the Fallout IP.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Normies hate the good stuff.
Depends where you look at, if you look to Bethesta's gateway straight to hell they call a forum, you will see a lot of special children saying this but people think NV was better than Fallout 3 not only on the codex, most youtube streamers, even some youtube Bethesda's shills share this opinion. I learned this after watching alot of youtube videos filled with fanboy butthurt and tears so I could have my sweet schadenfreude after Fallout 76.

Smejki

Larian Studios, ex-Warhorse
Developer
Probably still the case. The last Steamspy numbers were FNV at 5.1 million and FO3 GOTY edition at 2.4 million. FO3 was on GFWL before the GOTY edition was released in 2009, but it's still a massive difference.
And FO4 sold more than 12 million units. The number of units sold only shows they perfected the art of marketing. It has nothing to do with the reception of the game. Just look at the metacritic score of FO3 and FO4. The score of FO4 is lower, but the game sold much more.
There's usually a momentum to these things. If Bethesda doubles down on turning their formula into Offline Looter-Shooter Now With Some Base Building, and if they keep fucking up like they did with Crapout 76, and if other companies continue releasing well made good looking and well written RPGs, it will be interesting to behold their fanbase coming into terms with the reality that their one-eyed king is naked.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Probably still the case. The last Steamspy numbers were FNV at 5.1 million and FO3 GOTY edition at 2.4 million. FO3 was on GFWL before the GOTY edition was released in 2009, but it's still a massive difference.
And FO4 sold more than 12 million units. The number of units sold only shows they perfected the art of marketing. It has nothing to do with the reception of the game. Just look at the metacritic score of FO3 and FO4. The score of FO4 is lower, but the game sold much more.
There's usually a momentum to these things. If Bethesda doubles down on turning their formula into Offline Looter-Shooter Now With Some Base Building, and if they keep fucking up like they did with Crapout 76, and if other companies continue releasing well made good looking and well written RPGs, it will be interesting to behold their fanbase coming into terms with the reality that their one-eyed king is naked.

Elder Scrolls VI will shatter every single sales record Bethesda holds and become the best selling RPG ever made. You just need to look at the codex gushing over Obsidian to see how the fanbases of a company/franchise are not learning animals.

Wesp5

Arcane
"Fallout 4's launch was a huge success. Bethesda announced today that the game shipped 12 million copies worldwide for launch day alone..."

I think the important info here is that FO4 sold very well right at the start because the last games players remembered were FO3 and especially FO:NV.
Maybe after FO4 wasn't that good, I never played it myself, people became cautious and when Fallout 76 came out Bethesda got to feel the backlash.

Similar to the SW: Solo movie flopping not completely because of it's own quality, but rather as a backlash to the horrible SW: Episode 8...

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Before the release of Fallout 4 there was still a good percentage of Fallout 3 fans, at least 50%, though they were mostly retards, young kids, and Mexicans.
With the release of Fallout 4, when people first saw Piper's deformed face stretching and skewing and even more so after they got ahold of the shitty lifeless game with all RPG elements stripped, loads of them turned on Bethesda.

Loads indeed.

Fallout 4 Surpasses Skyrim To Become Bethesda's Most Successful Game Ever
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/fallout-4-surpasses-skyrim-to-become-bethesdas-mos/1100-6447621/

"Fallout 4 has gotta be the most successful game we've ever launched in our company's history."

Fallout 4 has surpassed The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim to become the "most successful" game in publisher Bethesda's history.

Appearing on the Kinda Funny Gamecast, Bethesda marketing executive Pete Hines said, "Fallout 4 has gotta be the most successful game we've ever launched in our company's history. More than Skyrim, in terms of what we did."

Fallout 4 Ships 12 Million Copies in One Day, Breaks Records
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/fallout-4-ships-12-million-copies-in-one-day-break/1100-6432277/

Fallout 4's launch was a huge success. Bethesda announced today that the game shipped 12 million copies worldwide for launch day alone, "representing sales in excess of $750 million." In addition, the game is generating "record sales" at brick and mortar stores and across Xbox Live, PlayStation Network, and PC.

By comparison, the last game from Bethesda Game Studios,--2011's The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim--shipped 7 million copies in 48 hours to retailers and sold through 3.5 million to consumers during that period. As of January 2014, the game had sold through to consumers 20 million copies worldwide.

On Steam alone, Fallout 4 was the top-played game at launch, at one time reaching over 470,000 concurrent players. This blasted past a previous record held by Grand Theft Auto V. In addition, Bethesda claims the Fallout Pip-Boy app was the "number one game" on the iTunes App Store.

Finally, Bethesda said Fallout 4 set a new record to become the most-viewed game launch for any new game released so far this year.

Keep dreaming about your grognard revolution inside Bethesda franchises.

:hero:

All this tells you is that the previous game was successful. I assume Bethesda gets the benefit of the doubt at least once more but if they fuck up with starfield then they are in trouble.

ArchAngel

Arcane
"Fallout 4's launch was a huge success. Bethesda announced today that the game shipped 12 million copies worldwide for launch day alone..."

I think the important info here is that FO4 sold very well right at the start because the last games players remembered were FO3 and especially FO:NV.
Maybe after FO4 wasn't that good, I never played it myself, people became cautious and when Fallout 76 came out Bethesda got to feel the backlash.

Similar to the SW: Solo movie flopping not completely because of it's own quality, but rather as a backlash to the horrible SW: Episode 8...
No, it is because last game people remembered was Skyrim.

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Skyrim is an action rpg.

Just as this one is. Because the majority of the gameplay is under direct influence of the player skills.
It still has some vague, soft limits imposed by the character skills and abilities, which is the reason why it still falls inside of the RPG spectrum, albeit barely.

This game, at least one may hope so, will be positioned a bit closer to the true RPG part of that spectrum, although not by much. Since, again, most of its gameplay which is combat is limited by player skills, not character skills.

I guess we will see if there will be anything better then what theyve shown so far, but this trailer and gameplay - including dialogues, smeared over by first hype of how its from original fallout devs just causes extremely negative reactions from me.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'm horrible at FPS, and kicked the shit out of New Vegas on highest difficulty and no VATS, so there had to be an RPG in there somewhere.

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Sure there was. Its an action RPG.
Bit closer to the true RPGs in the spectrum because character skills and abilities played a more significant role in its gameplay then in skyrim or failure 3, or Vomitlion, which are right at the border to or a bit beyond it, where action games with some rpg elements reside.

Wesp5

Arcane
I'm horrible at FPS, and kicked the shit out of New Vegas on highest difficulty and no VATS, so there had to be an RPG in there somewhere.

The problem with completely stat based combat in first person view or even third person view is that it often looks absolutely ridiculous! I remember seeing characters in KOTOR fire their blasters at the feet of an enemy a meter away where they would never ever miss. You can do that in isometric view, but for FP and TP you need to hide the stat influence better, like using crosshairs, kickup, spread and damage, like Troika already did in Bloodlines. You don't need VATS for that, but bullet time is always appreciated by me, just because it looks so cool :)!

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Tim: No, it will always succeed if you're high enough level. One reason we show when you're close is you could always take a drug that improved that skill. You could run back to your ship and get a companion that can improve the skill or you can say, 'wait, I'll be back.' You'd go up a level, put all the points into that skill, and come back. So you have all these options if you're really close. That's why I like it.
:what:

I can see it working on some very rare ocasions but in general it's just stupid (at least in the context of dialogues and that's what the question Tim is answering all about).

Deleted Member 22431

Well, the majority of the vocal fanbase might prefer FoNV, but fanbase isn't Beth target, so it isn't much relevant.
Let’s be honest. There is a bunch of rabid fans of the old Fallouts that waited for this moment for years. They took the defense of FO:NV as a matter of principle. For once they had the graphics on their side, instead of just the usual moral high ground of being old fans. I’m sure they had a kick with it. But that’s all there is to it. Most buyers prefer FO3 over NV, and most fans of FO3 detest NV. No amount of edgy memes and bullying can change this fundamental fact.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
I love this line from Cain, as it's the weak point of all Deus Ex games in my opinion: "And we tried to do it without the Deus Ex 'there's always going to be a big vent.' "
Except they're doing the same thing because it seems that drugs will be the new "vents". You can't do something? Just take a drug and voila!

If you're trying to do something and it's too hard there's always another way to do it. And we tried to do it without the Deus Ex 'there's always going to be a big vent.' Sometimes it's like, what in this environment have I not tried to use yet? Or am I like two points away from being able to hack something? Wait, this drug makes me smarter and smarts make my hacking better. Ding, I can temporarily hack this. And that just feels fun. It feels like a great use of both that drug and my hacking skills.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Well, the majority of the vocal fanbase might prefer FoNV, but fanbase isn't Beth target, so it isn't much relevant.
Let’s be honest. There is a bunch of rabid fans of the old Fallouts that waited for this moment for years. They took the defense of FO:NV as a matter of principle. For once they had the graphics on their side, instead of just the usual moral high ground of being old fans. I’m sure they had a kick with it. But that’s all there is to it. Most buyers prefer FO3 over NV, and most fans of FO3 detest NV. No amount of edgy memes and bullying can change this fundamental fact.

4 Million of them? I mean the announcement is popular. No denying of that either.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom