Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Obsidian's new game is The Outer Worlds, a first-person sci-fi RPG set on a corporate space colony

Vulpes

Scholar
Is anyone else getting pickle Rick vibes from that scientist?

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
The gameplay looks like FPS version of Mass Effect (health regen, weapon wheel, AI companions), but at least the dialogues are old-school stat related. Choice reactivity remains to be seen, and the art style indeed might've ended up the way as it is for the sole sake of screaming Not-Fallout. Bonus points for ancap dystopia.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
  • 3 member party
  • quest compass
  • no romances
  • no minigames for "lockpicking" / "hacking"
  • no voiced dialogue for main character
  • terrible voice acting, after what Rockstar pulled off with RDR2 everything else sounds like shit
  • party members intervene during dialogues
  • yay more stilted PoE style dialogue, seriously, this is just shit writing, from what i can see of this gameplay segment
  • Worse shooting than Fallout? yes its possible to fuck up combat worse than bethesda
  • Bullet time instead of VATS
  • Performance looks decent, graphics look terrible, especially character models

Worse ofender is clearly the combat, i can stomach everything else, but making an action rpg focused on combat and then making that combat fucking horrible is a lesson these fuckers should have learned to avoid with Bloodlines.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't mean to sound cocky but I think pretty much everybody who attempted to make a Bethesda game did better job than Bethesda.

Yeah, but you also know what I mean. There's a special relationship here only shared by these two companies. And it's fucking hilarious.

Ruzen

Savant

A bit of actual gameplay.

Looking from this I think textures are passable indoors looks much better than outdoors. But I gotto say they gone mad with the bloom and depth effect usage.

I hope there are going to be tons of gameplay/difficulty options, otherwise the screen is going to be filled with tons of shit.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Is everyone doing "FPS with old music" nowadays?
Other than nu-Fallout making it look good, the Guardians of the Galaxy movies linked old popular music with sci-fi cowboys in the minds of normies. I don't hate it, it can be fun. I just wish they didn't turn the quips and quirkiness to 11.

Luzur

Good Sir
Is everyone doing "FPS with old music" nowadays?
Other than nu-Fallout making it look good, the Guardians of the Galaxy movies linked old popular music with sci-fi cowboys in the minds of normies. I don't hate it, it can be fun. I just wish they didn't turn the quips and quirkiness to 11.

its starting to get old now, though. already.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Lack of extreme violence in npc deaths is also a sad state of affairs from the creators of Fallout... no gibs, yet another step back from New vegas and Bethesda Fallout's

r6BSwpJ.gif

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
I don't mean to sound cocky but I think pretty much everybody who attempted to make a Bethesda game did better job than Bethesda.

Yeah, but you also know what I mean. There's a special relationship here only shared by these two companies. And it's fucking hilarious.

The sad truth is that, even if it will be a masterpiece, it will sell less than Fallout76 all the same.

entr0py

Scholar
I don't understand the hype here at all. If I just look at the trailer and the gameplay demo all I see is Fallout 4 meets Mass Effect: Andromeda with dumb jokes. This is a popamole sci-fi shooter for Bethesda normies, so it will sell like hot potatoes, for sure, but I for myself am completely disappointed. Even Cyberpunk 2077 looks more promising than this.

zool

Arcane
Can we import our savegames from Colony Ship RPG into this?

I actually misread the title at first as "...set on a corporate space colony ship" :lol:

Other than that, looks a bit banalshitboring imo.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Lack of extreme violence in npc deaths is also a sad state of affairs from the creators of Fallout... no gibs, yet another step back from New vegas and Bethesda Fallout's

r6BSwpJ.gif

I think they could add it very easily since they already have critical hits that depend on body parts (in robots it's the core, in humans it was the head), so they could have gore and explosions.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
I don't understand the hype here at all. If I just look at the trailer and the gameplay demo all I see is Fallout 4 meets Mass Effect: Andromeda with dumb jokes. This is a popamole sci-fi shooter for Bethesda normies, so it will sell like hot potatoes, for sure, but I for myself am completely disappointed. Even Cyberpunk 2077 looks more promising than this.
And I don't understand idiots who see Mass Effect: Andromeda in this game, I bet you can't even say whats exactly looks like Mass Effect there. Personally I don't have a hype for this game and don't expect something 10/10 epic, but many people who call this game shit way before release have so ridiculous claims, it's hilarious.

Van-d-all

Erudite

r6BSwpJ.gif

Gibs and gore in general, were mostly dropped in 3d games when Ragdoll won over Ghoul engine as out of the box damage solution. Nowadays they only appear when devs decide to go for an extra mile to add them.

Kem0sabe

Arcane

r6BSwpJ.gif

I think they could add it very easily since they already have critical hits that depend on body parts (in robots it's the core, in humans it was the head), so they could have gore and explosions.

It's not the ease of implementation, its the lack of will to do it. Maybe they want to play it safe, which is weird considering hyper violent action rpg's like Fallout and Borderlands sell millions and garner a cult following.

Van-d-all

Erudite
And I don't understand idiots who see Mass Effect: Andromeda in this game, I bet you can't even say whats exactly looks like Mass Effect there. Personally I don't have a hype for this game and don't expect something 10/10 epic, but many people who call this game shit way before release have so ridiculous claims, it's hilarious.
Uh huh. (time marked vid)

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Game looks even more dated than F76 lol.

Weirdly though, after seeing the gameplay my eurojank gonad started tingling and I take my gonads seriously. Not writing the game off yet.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom