Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Obsidian's new game is The Outer Worlds, a first-person sci-fi RPG set on a corporate space colony

Alexios

Augur
Patron
I don't understand the hype here at all. If I just look at the trailer and the gameplay demo all I see is Fallout 4 meets Mass Effect: Andromeda with dumb jokes. This is a popamole sci-fi shooter for Bethesda normies, so it will sell like hot potatoes, for sure, but I for myself am completely disappointed. Even Cyberpunk 2077 looks more promising than this.
Why be disappointed? This is the best Obsidian can do in the current year. It doesn't look good, don't get me wrong, but considering the quality of their other games it is a step up.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
Uh huh. (time marked vid)
I watched to the end video and didn't noticed third person perspective, dialog wheel and etc. If you talking about a numbers of damage ( a shitty idea, I hope players can disable this shit) Mass Effect Andromeda didn't had this (surprisingly) and if you talking about face animations - yes, they worse than in trailer, but it's still better than in Mass Effect and sadly non-trailer face animations worse in many cases (except games on source maybe). Or this whole "this game looks like Mass Effect " somehow connected to artstyle? With this logic 90% games looks like mass Effect, honestly.

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Everything in the game looks like mind-numbing generic crap.
Environments and character models looks awful and horribly uninspired. The nature is bland flat "area" with some random "sci fi assets" thrown over it. You literally have a yellow neon rail to lead you down one path and into a bland looking cubicle of a building in which you go through corridors and up and down some stairs... for fuck sake.

Space ship is a placeholder through which you click to go through a loading screen.

Art level or any kind of even minuscule innovation on the theme - zero.

Gun play is of course what you get when you try to force first person shooter into an rpg, or vice-versa. Player controlled mechanics, movements and actions of a FP shooter style are directly opposite to what defines and makes RPG games - character imposed limits on the same.
So the only possible compromise is half assed crap like this, where any stats just get in the way of you pointing that dumb reticule at some specific point in space.
And you are completely blind to anything happening to your side because the view is from a dumb constrained box.

The way dialogue options and NPCs reaction to them function and work out looks completely unconvincing, character-less and nonsensical.

himmy

Arcane
The reaction of the Internet at large sees to be very enthusiastic, with many people hoping this will be a slap on Bethesda's cheek. This is in no small measure due to New Vegas, which even most normies agree was superior to the Beth Fallouts.

Obsidian are riding such a wave of good will right now that they only need to not completely fuck up in order to have a hit on their hands.

But this is Obsidian we are talking about. They do have a talent for tragedy even when the winds are in their favour.

As always most of the Codex focuses on the wrong things. "It's too colorful! Oh noes, it's first person! Where's muh faux-90s turn based iso crpg that looks like underrail?"

This game might very well suck, but not because any of that. Let's see what they do with the mechanics, the story, the world, etc. The superficial stuff doesn't mean anything. ELEX looked like a complete clusterfuck of shiiite before it came out, and it was one of the best RPGs I've played in the last decade.

jungl

Augur
Looks like popamole shit. Im sure it'll make way more money they pillars but I'm tired of casual games where there no pressure or no real decision making for the player make and everything is laid out for them.

entr0py

Scholar
Uh huh. (time marked vid)
I watched to the end video and didn't noticed third person perspective, dialog wheel and etc. If you talking about a numbers of damage ( a shitty idea, I hope players can disable this shit) Mass Effect Andromeda didn't had this (surprisingly) and if you talking about face animations - yes, they worse than in trailer, but it's still better than in Mass Effect and sadly non-trailer face animations worse in many cases (except games on source maybe). Or this whole "this game looks like Mass Effect " somehow connected to artstyle? With this logic 90% games looks like mass Effect, honestly.

I'm likening it to Fallout 4 and Mass Effect, because it has the retro-futuristic vibes of Fallout 4 and gameplay-wise with the 3-person team where you can only directly control the protagonist, and the whole space colonisation theme reminds me of Mass Effect because currently that is the bar that current year team-based first person space-shooters are compared against (for me, because I haven't played games like Elex at all, so can't compare it to them, and normies will also definitely compare it to Bethesda/Bioware titles for sure). If the story will be interesting I will surely play it once, but when I heard there is an RPG in the making from the creators of original Fallout I did not expect a first person shooter with major gaemplay and design elements ripped off from games we have already seen, hence my general disappointment

Misco Jones

Savant
Dtyorn7VsAADFag.jpg

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
for most gamers, gameplay and writing come in significantly ahead of art.

Because most gamers are on the scale. And no, they don't give a shit about writing, which is also art. That's why 95% of games don't bother with writing above the level of derpy dumb fanfiction for children.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom