Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News Obsidian's new game is The Outer Worlds, a first-person sci-fi RPG set on a corporate space colony

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Infinitron, Dec 7, 2018.

1. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    Game looks even more dated than F76 lol.

Weirdly though, after seeing the gameplay my eurojank gonad started tingling and I take my gonads seriously. Not writing the game off yet.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    • Edgy x 2
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • not sure if serious x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Alexios Learned

Alexios
    Why be disappointed? This is the best Obsidian can do in the current year. It doesn't look good, don't get me wrong, but considering the quality of their other games it is a step up.

• Balanced Balanced x 2
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Rinslin Merwind Learned

Rinslin Merwind
    I watched to the end video and didn't noticed third person perspective, dialog wheel and etc. If you talking about a numbers of damage ( a shitty idea, I hope players can disable this shit) Mass Effect Andromeda didn't had this (surprisingly) and if you talking about face animations - yes, they worse than in trailer, but it's still better than in Mass Effect and sadly non-trailer face animations worse in many cases (except games on source maybe). Or this whole "this game looks like Mass Effect " somehow connected to artstyle? With this logic 90% games looks like mass Effect, honestly.

• cuck cuck x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Delterius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    this is what happens when you live so close to the Gothic Lobby (Poland)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Mr. Hiver Learned

Mr. Hiver
    Everything in the game looks like mind-numbing generic crap.
    Environments and character models looks awful and horribly uninspired. The nature is bland flat "area" with some random "sci fi assets" thrown over it. You literally have a yellow neon rail to lead you down one path and into a bland looking cubicle of a building in which you go through corridors and up and down some stairs... for fuck sake.

Space ship is a placeholder through which you click to go through a loading screen.

Art level or any kind of even minuscule innovation on the theme - zero.

Gun play is of course what you get when you try to force first person shooter into an rpg, or vice-versa. Player controlled mechanics, movements and actions of a FP shooter style are directly opposite to what defines and makes RPG games - character imposed limits on the same.
    So the only possible compromise is half assed crap like this, where any stats just get in the way of you pointing that dumb reticule at some specific point in space.
    And you are completely blind to anything happening to your side because the view is from a dumb constrained box.

The way dialogue options and NPCs reaction to them function and work out looks completely unconvincing, character-less and nonsensical.

• Agree x 5
    • Disagree x 5
    • Brofist x 1
    • Merry Christmas! x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • retadred x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Feyd Rautha Cipher Patron

Feyd Rautha
    Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. himmy Arcane

himmy
    The reaction of the Internet at large sees to be very enthusiastic, with many people hoping this will be a slap on Bethesda's cheek. This is in no small measure due to New Vegas, which even most normies agree was superior to the Beth Fallouts.

Obsidian are riding such a wave of good will right now that they only need to not completely fuck up in order to have a hit on their hands.

But this is Obsidian we are talking about. They do have a talent for tragedy even when the winds are in their favour.

• Agree x 5
    • Brofist x 4
    • Balanced x 2
    • nice x 1
    • Whatever shit you posted didn't load x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. acer palmatum Learned

acer palmatum
    I like what I see, a new Fallout New Vegas would be good enough for me to celebrate - but I think this will even be better.

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Crescent Hawk Savant

Crescent Hawk
    But the snarky stronk wamen is telling me to fight the corporation guys.

• Merry Christmas! Merry Christmas! x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. abnaxus Arcane

abnaxus
    Björn wins.

^ Top  
  11. Jacob Obviously Arcane Patron

Jacob
    Grab the Codex by the pussy
    With a bit of luck it will be Obsidian's second decent game.

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Edgy Edgy x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Jazz_ Cipher

Jazz_
    Nooo, I was expecting a late 90s urban gothic vampire rpg.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. PorkyThePaladin Arcane

PorkyThePaladin
    As always most of the Codex focuses on the wrong things. "It's too colorful! Oh noes, it's first person! Where's muh faux-90s turn based iso crpg that looks like underrail?"

This game might very well suck, but not because any of that. Let's see what they do with the mechanics, the story, the world, etc. The superficial stuff doesn't mean anything. ELEX looked like a complete clusterfuck of shiiite before it came out, and it was one of the best RPGs I've played in the last decade.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • cool story bro cool story bro x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. jungl Learned

jungl
    Looks like popamole shit. Im sure it'll make way more money they pillars but I'm tired of casual games where there no pressure or no real decision making for the player make and everything is laid out for them.

• Salute Salute x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Iskramor Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Iskramor
    No lockpicking mini game for locked doors....Streamlined and consolised lame....

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. himmy Arcane

himmy
    Minigames I can take or leave. I'm more worried about the floating quest markers.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    Art isn't superficial, except for aspergers who can't perceive art, only numbers.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. entr0py Novice

entr0py
    I'm likening it to Fallout 4 and Mass Effect, because it has the retro-futuristic vibes of Fallout 4 and gameplay-wise with the 3-person team where you can only directly control the protagonist, and the whole space colonisation theme reminds me of Mass Effect because currently that is the bar that current year team-based first person space-shooters are compared against (for me, because I haven't played games like Elex at all, so can't compare it to them, and normies will also definitely compare it to Bethesda/Bioware titles for sure). If the story will be interesting I will surely play it once, but when I heard there is an RPG in the making from the creators of original Fallout I did not expect a first person shooter with major gaemplay and design elements ripped off from games we have already seen, hence my general disappointment

• When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Misco Jones Educated

Misco Jones
    [​IMG]

• Funny x 17
    • nice x 2
    • Yes x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    • Creative x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Iskramor Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Iskramor
    Didnt those existi in new vegas?

^ Top  
  21. PorkyThePaladin Arcane

PorkyThePaladin
    Meh, art is 1. very subjective (what you like I may not, and vice versa), 2. I think for most gamers, gameplay and writing come in significantly ahead of art.

• Agree Agree x 4
    ^ Top  
  22. MRY Prestigious Gentleman Wormwood Studios Developer

MRY
    With a corporation sending supplies to the world from back home on Earth, there's really strong lore to support loot boxes.

• Funny x 13
    • nice x 3
    • Creative x 3
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    • Despair x 2
    • Interesting x 1
    • Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    Because most gamers are on the scale. And no, they don't give a shit about writing, which is also art. That's why 95% of games don't bother with writing above the level of derpy dumb fanfiction for children.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  24. ESh Arcane

ESh
    Hey, don't say that. I am fully capable of despising that terrible artstyle.

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Nifft Batuff Novice

Nifft Batuff
    Nowadays Microsoft are the good guys... There is also Linux on their Microsoft store.

• WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 2
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)