Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News Obsidian's next game is Tyranny, an isometric RPG set in a fantasy world where evil won

Discussion in 'RPG Codex News & Content Comments' started by Infinitron, Mar 16, 2016.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Tags: Brian Heins; Obsidian Entertainment; Paradox Interactive; Tyranny

As expected, Obsidian's next game was announced at Paradox's press conference at GDC tonight by project director Brian Heins. Its name is Tyranny, and it appears to be an isometric RPG of some sort, set in a fantasy world where the Dark Lord triumphed and evil has conquered the land (a game concept that they've been interested in pursuing for quite some time, I believe). This is the "secret project" that Obsidian have been working on since early 2014, and as such there's already plenty of media available on its official website, including screenshots and a teaser trailer. Remarkably little information about gameplay, though - I guess that comes later. Here's the trailer and a description:

In Tyranny, the grand war between good and evil is over –and the forces of evil, led by Kyros, the Overlord, have won. The Overlord’s merciless armies dominate the face of the world, and its denizens must find their new roles within the war-torn realm. Players interact with the population of the populace to inspire loyalty, disgust, or fear as they roam the world as an officer in Kyros’ forces, empowered to act as both judge and executioner.

Paradox Interactive and Obsidian Entertainment are proud to unveil the next product of their partnership. For more info about the world of Tyranny, visit http://pdxint.at/1M4SdMl
    According to the website, Tyranny is due for release this year. It seems promising enough so far - let's hope it turns out good.

• Brofist Brofist x 28
    ^ Top  
  2. Kz3r0 Arcane

Kz3r0
    How much of Avellone is in there?
    And howm much of it Sawyer cut?

• Brofist Brofist x 9
    ^ Top  
  3. Excidium II Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    2-year development, grafics worse than PoE (who knows what else is a downgrade), no MCA, No Sawyer...

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  4. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Seems like zero of both. This is a game by Obsidian's 198 other employees. :M

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  5. Excidium II Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    No Josh no fun. What fueled PoE discussion to 8214814 pages were his posts.

• Brofist Brofist x 9
    ^ Top  
  6. duanth123 Arcane

duanth123
    when they capitalize the title, all I see is TRANNY

Should have called it TYRANT, as that would draw appropriate, thematic parallels between your character choices/role and the overall narrative hook.
    :d1p:

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
    • Brofist Brofist x 31
    ^ Top  
  7. DemonKing Arcane

DemonKing
    Looks promising - hopefully you can play everything from someone blindly reinforcing the overlord's will, to someone undermining him or even someone plotting to overthrow him and taking his place.

Also - maybe you can be an orc - that would be fun.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  8. Black Arcane

Black
    First they censor kickstarter backer's content, now Tranny. Full sjw.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  9. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Screenshots:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 28
    ^ Top  
  10. Joni Odin von Hassenstein Arcane Patron

Joni Odin von Hassenstein
    Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    :bounce:

:nocountryforshitposters:

• Brofist Brofist x 8
    ^ Top  
  11. Excidium II Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  12. Excidium II Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    ???

You blind? It has that "stylized" look.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Joni Odin von Hassenstein Arcane Patron

Joni Odin von Hassenstein
    Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    No, it's just that for an isometric RPG it's so unimportant if it's above a certain level. And it is.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  14. Nekot-The-Brave Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Nekot-The-Brave
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    That 'gameplay trailer' had... what... 3 seconds of gameplay?

• Brofist Brofist x 8
    ^ Top  
  15. Excidium II Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    First, it's not isometric. Second, it's important when developers are proven capable of doing better and have an artistic team bigger than some games have devs in total.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. CRD Savant Patron

CRD
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    The plot looks like Inquisitor.

A bit of fresh air, at least initially, we'll see how it ends.

Also, can anyone please stop with the fucking swords, fantasy and magic or post apoc settings and try to make a different crpg?

I would pay $100 for a crpg with the combat and setting from Invisible inc.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
    • Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  17. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Awesome. First genuinely exciting game pitch from Obsidian, POE aside, since the last fucking decade. We'll see how it pans out and whether it'll be any good, but it's lovely that we finally get an evil overlord RPG from them.

Art seems OK, not great. A weird mix of the more cartoony finish seen in games like Blizzard/DOS (e.g. in the blocky putty rock formations) and a more realistic POE/etc one (e.g. buildings). This one wouldn't be terribly out of place in TTON:
    [​IMG]

Isometric RPG and the character pitch suggests that this is likely to be a character inside a world where evil won, exploring it and maybe working to quash the forces of good for good. That seems a good opportunity to integrate aspects of Van Buren's rival-party mechanism, whether it be competitor evil parties trying to out-evil you or gooder parties.

Despite the relatively upbeat look of the initial screens, I hope they take a pretty serious approach. This game shoudl be made for early Obsidian's penchant for deconstructing fantasy tropes, a tendency which they showed even in games like DS3 and POE where Avellone is not lead. And I'd much much prefer to see Witcher-like dilemmas from an 'evil' point of view than some hurr durr black comedy.

• Brofist Brofist x 19
    ^ Top  
  18. AN4RCHID Arcane

AN4RCHID
    Hmmm okay. I can fap to this.

• Brofist Brofist x 11
    ^ Top  
  19. Nekot-The-Brave Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Nekot-The-Brave
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    The style kind of reminds me of Endless Legend (rts game). Especially this screenshot here.

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  
  20. Excidium II Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Reminds me of every other stylized fantay game but with PoE character models.

• Brofist Brofist x 13
    ^ Top  
  21. Direwolf Arcane

Direwolf
    It will be better than PoE.

^ Top  
  22. Excidium II Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    I kinda lost any hope about that the moment it was revealed as an EVIL CRPG.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Turok Erudite

Turok
    Thats the poe engine right?

I hate the unity engine. runs like shit.

^ Top  
  24. Major_Blackhart Codexia Lord Sodom Patron

Major_Blackhart
    Hmm, who knows how this will be.

^ Top  
  25. Bubbles I'm forever blowing

Self-Ejected
    Yes. It's also known as "Unity."

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)