Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Obsidian's next game is Tyranny, an isometric RPG set in a fantasy world where evil won

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Brian Heins; Obsidian Entertainment; Paradox Interactive; Tyranny

As expected, Obsidian's next game was announced at Paradox's press conference at GDC tonight by project director Brian Heins. Its name is Tyranny, and it appears to be an isometric RPG of some sort, set in a fantasy world where the Dark Lord triumphed and evil has conquered the land (a game concept that they've been interested in pursuing for quite some time, I believe). This is the "secret project" that Obsidian have been working on since early 2014, and as such there's already plenty of media available on its official website, including screenshots and a teaser trailer. Remarkably little information about gameplay, though - I guess that comes later. Here's the trailer and a description:

In Tyranny, the grand war between good and evil is over –and the forces of evil, led by Kyros, the Overlord, have won. The Overlord’s merciless armies dominate the face of the world, and its denizens must find their new roles within the war-torn realm. Players interact with the population of the populace to inspire loyalty, disgust, or fear as they roam the world as an officer in Kyros’ forces, empowered to act as both judge and executioner.

Paradox Interactive and Obsidian Entertainment are proud to unveil the next product of their partnership. For more info about the world of Tyranny, visit http://pdxint.at/1M4SdMl

According to the website, Tyranny is due for release this year. It seems promising enough so far - let's hope it turns out good.

Kz3r0

Arcane
How much of Avellone is in there?
And howm much of it Sawyer cut?

duanth123

Arcane
when they capitalize the title, all I see is TRANNY

Should have called it TYRANT, as that would draw appropriate, thematic parallels between your character choices/role and the overall narrative hook.
:d1p:

Last edited:

DemonKing

Arcane
Looks promising - hopefully you can play everything from someone blindly reinforcing the overlord's will, to someone undermining him or even someone plotting to overthrow him and taking his place.

Also - maybe you can be an orc - that would be fun.

Black

Arcane
First they censor kickstarter backer's content, now Tranny. Full sjw.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Screenshots:

aicugj.jpg

CRD

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
The plot looks like Inquisitor.

A bit of fresh air, at least initially, we'll see how it ends.

Also, can anyone please stop with the fucking swords, fantasy and magic or post apoc settings and try to make a different crpg?

I would pay $100 for a crpg with the combat and setting from Invisible inc.

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
Awesome. First genuinely exciting game pitch from Obsidian, POE aside, since the last fucking decade. We'll see how it pans out and whether it'll be any good, but it's lovely that we finally get an evil overlord RPG from them.

Art seems OK, not great. A weird mix of the more cartoony finish seen in games like Blizzard/DOS (e.g. in the blocky putty rock formations) and a more realistic POE/etc one (e.g. buildings). This one wouldn't be terribly out of place in TTON:
ver-ss-008.png

Isometric RPG and the character pitch suggests that this is likely to be a character inside a world where evil won, exploring it and maybe working to quash the forces of good for good. That seems a good opportunity to integrate aspects of Van Buren's rival-party mechanism, whether it be competitor evil parties trying to out-evil you or gooder parties.

Despite the relatively upbeat look of the initial screens, I hope they take a pretty serious approach. This game shoudl be made for early Obsidian's penchant for deconstructing fantasy tropes, a tendency which they showed even in games like DS3 and POE where Avellone is not lead. And I'd much much prefer to see Witcher-like dilemmas from an 'evil' point of view than some hurr durr black comedy.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Art seems OK, not great. A weird mix of the more cartoony finish seen in games like Blizzard/DOS (e.g. in the blocky putty rock formations) and a more realistic POE/etc one (e.g. buildings). This one wouldn't be terribly out of place in TTON:
ver-ss-008.png

The style kind of reminds me of Endless Legend (rts game). Especially this screenshot here.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
This game shoudl be made for early Obsidian's penchant for deconstructing fantasy tropes, a tendency which they showed even in games like DS3 and POE where Avellone is not lead. And I'd much much prefer to see Witcher-like dilemmas from an 'evil' point of view than some hurr durr black comedy.
I kinda lost any hope about that the moment it was revealed as an EVIL CRPG.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom