Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Obsidian's next game is Tyranny, an isometric RPG set in a fantasy world where evil won

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Gameplay snippet from the trailer:

VL3EvIcraeGY0.gif

Tigranes

Arcane
An4rchid's screen is probably the best one, and that's what I mean about the weird mix. It looks very nice when all the cartoony putty etc shit is missing.

Of course it won't look as good as POE, it's full 3D isometric and probably on a middling, not AAA, budget. Is it Unity? God I mourn Onyx.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
An4rchid's screen is probably the best one, and that's what I mean about the weird mix. It looks very nice when all the cartoony putty etc shit is missing.

Of course it won't look as good as POE, it's full 3D isometric and probably on a middling, not AAA, budget. Is it Unity? God I mourn Onyx.
Are you sure it's full 3D? The enviroment is lacking the horrible aliasing that comes with it.

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
This game shoudl be made for early Obsidian's penchant for deconstructing fantasy tropes, a tendency which they showed even in games like DS3 and POE where Avellone is not lead. And I'd much much prefer to see Witcher-like dilemmas from an 'evil' point of view than some hurr durr black comedy.
I kinda lost any hope about that the moment it was revealed as an EVIL CRPG.

Yeah but we dont even know what they are going for here. It just seems a regular rpg, hopefully with some fucking soul in the dialogue.
What do they even mean? It obviously does not have the grotesque dirty fantasy style of Dragon Age or Witcher, so my best guess its that calling it "Evil" is just Obsidian probably trying to set up the universe as unforgiving like 40k edginess or something.

I like to think they thought the setting in POE was so stale it needs some fucking Dark Sun juice.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They're calling it evil because the world is controlled by a Sauron-like Dark Lord who actually won. Not sure how you miss that.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Obsidian probably trying to set up the universe as unforgiving like 40k edginess or something.
They aren't. Their setup has fuck all to do with the way 40k does things. Would be interesting if it were. If the tyranny was of necessity and complacency and not EBUL.

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
No, it's just that for an isometric RPG it's so unimportant if it's above a certain level. And it is.
Second, it's important when developers are proven capable of doing better and have an artistic team bigger than some games have devs in total.
Well, seems we disagree here.
Because if it doesn't look like total shit I really don't care that much.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
No, it's just that for an isometric RPG it's so unimportant if it's above a certain level. And it is.
Second, it's important when developers are proven capable of doing better and have an artistic team bigger than some games have devs in total.
Nothing I despise more than people low standards. Why everything is shit.

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Nothing I despise more than people low standards. Why everything is shit.
:roll:

Kos_Koa

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
They have a chance to create an interesting setting as long as it doesn't devolve into a "save the world" plot. Exploring an occupied world should be plenty exciting without relying on standard rpg staples. Here's hoping they take the risk.

The plot could end in a few ways

-Quash the growing resistance
-Overthrow your lord and install yourself as ruler
-Overthrow your lord as you become a goody two shoes
-Fuck everything and let the world burn

Sounds like plenty of opportunity for good convos, quests and mechanics.
AoDish

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom