Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Obsidian's next game is Tyranny, an isometric RPG set in a fantasy world where evil won

Tigranes

Arcane
"Evil CRPG" is the best way to have an immediately unique slogan for the RPG. Or, technically, "RPG where evil won".

Of course, I'll still have to wait for Grim Fandango: the RPG, where you play the literal collector of souls in a fantasy world where evil won...

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
I like the premise but more gameplay info needed. PoE sounded so great on paper so if it sounds like banal shit I'll probably actually finish this one.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
"Evil CRPG" is the best way to have an immediately unique slogan for the RPG. Or, technically, "RPG where evil won".

Of course, I'll still have to wait for Grim Fandango: the RPG, where you play the literal collector of souls in a fantasy world where evil won...
But if evil won then good lost. There's not much of a grey morality that would be interesting to explore even on the basic level of violent repression + order vs freedums + chaos.

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Huh, so we finally have the "Sauron won" pitch. And isometric using PoE tech (most likely) to boot. If it was turn based it would be the icing on the cake, but I'll settle with RTwP.

After enduring Dungeon Siege, South Park, a card game for tablets and a F2P tank MMO, it's nice to have an Obsidian/publisher game that interest me.

I have bad vibes about this Tranny.

That video didn't really show anything interesting, and the game pictures themselves show lack of unique and authentic art style / themes. It looks... bare bones and boring. I guess I don't find any better words to describe my thoughts at the moment, except that the screenshots make me yawn. It looks graphically less interesting and worse than PoE. Hopefully the Tranny will be good, though.

Tigranes

Arcane
It could be "Coming 2016" meaning "Late 2016" meaning "Delayed to Summer 2017 for polish".

Yeah, regarding funding, the more important question is who owns the IP?

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Wonder if it is going to be in the same world as Pillars. Maybe they do a Xcom. Hey guys, you lost even if you won. The world is fucked and stuff.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Wonder if it is going to be in the same world as Pillars. Maybe they do a Xcom. Hey guys, you lost even if you won. The world is fucked and stuff.
You "losing" in PoE would just confirm the status quo, no real bad end (with the exception of the fairly localized stolen souls thing).

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
They're calling it evil because the world is controlled by a Sauron-like Dark Lord who actually won. Not sure how you miss that.
I guess we know what happened to That Which Sleeps. :smug:

I will be pleasantly surprised if this delivers. There seems to be tremendous gravitational pull in "you are the badguy" stories where you become lawful evil, or maybe lawful neutral, oh, maybe neutral good, or, heck, just lawful good, etc., and wind up a misunderstood guy with a tragic backstory, usually juxtaposed against the truly evil overlord who you ultimately knock down. I mean, I love Soul Reaver, but you aren't a bad guy in Soul Reaver. Anyway, Obsidian has plenty of great talent, hopefully they'll pull it off.

Antigoon

Augur
from their steam page
Challenging, classic RPG combat with modern mechanics and presentation

That has to be classic TB combat with modern time-resolution mechanics :D

duanth123

Arcane
From the website:

you are a fatebinder
You are the judge and executioner of Kyros’ law, acting under the watchful eye of the Overlords Archon of Justice, Tunon the Adjudicator (pictured right) Your words shape the lives of thousands. Will you use that power to bring justice and inspire loyalty? Or will you bring fear and cruelty to the beaten people of the Tiers?

the choice is yours
A Fatebinder’s word is law, and you decide the fate of the Tiers. Even the smallest of choices shape the land and its people. Tasked with making decisions that truly matter to theTiers and to the factions of Kyros’ army, you will develop a reputation based upon your deeds -- and you will find the world a drastically changed place each time you play Tyranny.

the world of the tiers
The armies of Kyros the Overlord subjugated the Tiers. Now, the survivors of the war must adapt to a new rule, and keep the land productive for Kyros’ empire. Freely explore and experience a world where the war between good and evil has forever changed society. How will you shape it further?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom