Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Obsidian's next game is Tyranny, an isometric RPG set in a fantasy world where evil won

Mustawd

I mean we know that Obsidian has the ability to create PoE level graphics. If a lack of (or lower resources compared with PoE) is not at fault what do you think is? We've already seen how limited resources can affect PoE (i.e. a lot of the writing was only given a cursory review). Don't you think something as simple as two or three additional contract writers could have helped that situation? Just like maybe a few more artists on contract (not long term employment) could have probably raised the level of the environment art.
Going from this thread though, people apparently dig this stuff so maybe it really is just a question of art direction and not cut corners. Every other game has that flat stylized look nowdays so I guess there's appeal. ((Everything is shit))

Part of it can be time crunches, yes. But I find this idea that a pool of finite resources doesn't matter as quite strange a thing. It gets odder when you consider that you might want to make decisions on where to allocate extra resources. Art? Writers? Game testers?
Like MrE said, I imagine the resources aren't allocated on the project but across all Obsidian projects. Say Paradox pays them 8 Million, it's not 8 Million to spend with Tranny but 8 million that goes towards keeping the entire operation running, and they allocate just enough people that is necessary to meet deadlines.

I dunno. Let's try a thought experiment: If Tranny was going to be at the level of art of say, KOTC, then it makes sense that the budget for game testers, writers, or anything else not related to art would be a much bigger piece of the pie. Or are you saying that the individual game's scope in art, writing, and gameplay don't play any part in the game's resources?

DeepOcean

Arcane
I'd be very surprised if you could condemn people to impaling. Usually being evil in todays rpgs is to request more money as reward after a quest.

Close enough

latest
Wot? He was crucified with his clothes on? Ohh... it is Gamebryo, without the clothing you would have no idea who he was.

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron
Like MrE said, I imagine the resources aren't allocated on the project but across all Obsidian projects. Say Paradox pays them 8 Million, it's not 8 Million to spend with Tranny but 8 million that goes towards keeping the entire operation running, and they allocate just enough people that is necessary to meet deadlines.

Lol, that would be such a bad way to spend your money as a publisher. Obviously the money they provide is meant to pay for their project, its just that some team members will overlap projects during that development time. Even then, if you have one artist who splits time between Pillars and Tyranny, I'm sure that the FTE's spent on Pillars are at least supposed to be paid from the budget for that game.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
That makes sense, I ignored game industry's tendency to put developers at the bitch end of contracts. I don't get why the relationship is like that, specially since it's a field where expertise is even more critical, not many Obsidians out there.

Last edited:

Trashos

Arcane

Lol, that would be such a bad way to spend your money as a publisher. Obviously the money they provide is meant to pay for their project, its just that some team members will overlap projects during that development time. Even then, if you have one artist who splits time between Pillars and Tyranny, I'm sure that the FTE's spent on Pillars are at least supposed to be paid from the budget for that game.

In project budgets you 've got this motherfucker called "Overhead" which is the money that goes to the company at large instead of the project specifically. Overhead can be a huge percentage of the total budget (the worst I have seen is 60%), depending on the company's strategy and bureaucracy. Overhead is not a secret practice, it is an official and generally accepted cost.

I don't know about Obsidian specifically, I am speaking generally.

Mustawd

Overhead is not a secret practice, it is an official and generally accepted cost.

Well, yeah. It's just a term for "rent for the building you work in" or "electricity in the building you work in" that needs to be allocated across different projects since it's not like one person only uses 4 jigawatts of electricity or whatever. But like you said, I assume that get's factored into the budgets.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom