Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Obsidian's next game is Tyranny, an isometric RPG set in a fantasy world where evil won

Unwanted

Irenaeus III

Unwanted
Shitposter
fear and cruelty all the way, baby

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Wonder if it is going to be in the same world as Pillars. Maybe they do a Xcom. Hey guys, you lost even if you won. The world is fucked and stuff.
You "losing" in PoE would just confirm the status quo, no real bad end (with the exception of the fairly localized stolen souls thing).

Hey spoilers! Just kidding.

But didn't you fix the soul issue? I mean with all the children being born without souls. Wouldn't that go on forever without you interfering? I'm thinking "Children of Men" level of apocalypse here :)
Btw, I don't remember the ending fully though, from PoE.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I wonder if the ever-litigious DisneyMarvel will have words regarding Ronan the AccuserTunon the Adjudicator. I do love the art, especially the dead titan spilling crystals out.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Wonder if it is going to be in the same world as Pillars. Maybe they do a Xcom. Hey guys, you lost even if you won. The world is fucked and stuff.
You "losing" in PoE would just confirm the status quo, no real bad end (with the exception of the fairly localized stolen souls thing).

Hey spoilers! Just kidding.

But didn't you fix the soul issue? I mean with all the children being born without souls. Wouldn't that go on forever without you interfering? I'm thinking "Children of Men" level of apocalypse here :)
Btw, I don't remember the ending fully though, from PoE.
IIRC the stolen souls thing had a purpose that the villain was trying to achieve, so presumably he would have stopped eventually.

Trashos

Arcane
Yes, you did fix the soul problem in the PoE finale. I don't think the problem would have been solved without the Watcher, at least not until....

...Woedica had completely taken over, and Animancy had been banished too.

Cholo

Arcane
DS3, South Park, a pair of Russian MMOs and now 3 (assuming POE 2) low budget unity games.

RIP Obsidian.

DemonKing

Arcane
Is this a member of the PC exclusive master race? If so it means Obsidian are certainly heading in the right direction as far as I'm concerned.

Tytus

Arcane
The million dollar question: Will we be able to kill children?
No, the real question is: Can we eat them?
Dat babymeat

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

If I can't force a 12 year girl into marriage, then rape her, then kill her and then eat her, and then shit her out on a grave of her parents that I killed earlier... well what's the point of playing an evil guy?

Kron

Arcane
My, how the mighty not so mighty have fallen.
Let us not kid ourselves, this looks like a turd, and if this turd was not developed by Obsidian, no one here would even give it a second glance; it would just be another forgettable mediocre looking game made by creatively bankrupt devs.

Stompa

Arcane
I was hyped for this ever since they've dropped hints at its existence, but then PoE happened and Avellone left. Now I'm not sure they have capable enough writers to do something that's not Saturday morning cartoon villainy.

Prime Junta

codex does not disappoint :edgy:

I cautiously like the pitch. It gives a bit of a Dark Sun vibe which is a fantastic setting. The three-sentence pitch on the website emphasises reactivity which is great and one area where Pillars was lacking: they also did this really well in FO:NV, meaning they're not inventing the wheel here. They also seem to be suggesting that there's a strategic dimension to the game, which would fit nicely with Paradox's stuff.

Also, isometric mid-budget RPG which doesn't look like ass.

Kron

Arcane
Dark Sun, really...
Don't see the similarity tbh.

ver-ss-004.png

18xt6bwjgeffgjpg.jpg

1413513613380.jpg

Guess you can see anything if you strain your eyes hard enough.

Been edgy enough, so I'll just leave it by saying the codex seems to have developed a sort of Stockholm syndrome with mediocre games.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Why announce a project if you are going to reveal nothing about the project? The trailer was lame and the pics are serviceable but uninformative. They teased the announcement then don't actually announce anything besides the fact that, yes, we are making a fantasy rpg.

Not saying the game is going to be bad but this is a stupid way to start things off.

hivemind

Ah finally an RPG in which we can explore the alternative reality where Hillary becomes POTUS

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I like the idea so I'm not gonna go too hard on this game but FFS it has the same stilted look as PoE. Get rid of Unity, maaan. Every dude looks like they crapped their pants.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
This is a really good concept to work on, but completely the wrong company to touch it.

You basically have two approaches to the "evil won/you are the evil" -scenario.

a.) You do it tongue-in-cheek, making fun of stereotypes and playing with tropes

or

b.) You do it seriously, showering the player with ever increasing amount of evil deeds and cruelty

If the trailer is true, then they have opted for the option b. From what we've seen in PoE and DSIII, I don't believe Obsidian has the talent for this. It is very hard to stay true to the original vision and make the player play the bad guy. Chances are they'll pussy out halfway and make the player rebel against the evil overlord or someshit. Or then it will be banal shit boring lawful evil bureaucracy all the way.

The whole thing would probably work better as an evil overlord simulation where you make nation level decisions and react on events rather than focus on single characters.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
This is a really good concept to work on, but completely the wrong company to touch it.

You basically have two approaches to the "evil won/you are the evil" -scenario.

a.) You do it tongue-in-cheek, making fun of stereotypes and playing with tropes

or

b.) You do it seriously, showering the player with ever increasing amount of evil deeds and cruelty

If the trailer is true, then they have opted for the option b. From what we've seen in PoE and DSIII, I don't believe Obsidian has the talent for this. It is very hard to stay true to the original vision and make the player play the bad guy. Chances are they'll pussy out halfway and make the player rebel against the evil overlord or someshit. Or then it will be banal shit boring lawful evil bureaucracy all the way.

The whole thing would probably work better as an evil overlord simulation where you make nation level decisions and react on events rather than focus on single characters.

You have never played the "Evil" options in any of the Obsidian games then?

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Tranny, The game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom