Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Discussion in 'Obsidian Entertainment' started by Anthony Davis, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Hormalakh Magister

Hormalakh
    http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/63117-update-37-happy-2013/
    Not sure if jab at Black Isle :lol:

^ Top  
  2. suejak Arbiter Patron Village Idiot

suejak
    In every party-based combat MMO that I'm aware of since Everquest, monsters have a hidden "aggro" rating toward each player, which determines who they focus their attacks on. The goal of meaty "tanks" (usually warriors) is to "draw aggro" so the monsters attack them (and not the less-meaty casters, rogues, clerics, etc). This means taunt abilities and things like that, designed to generate aggro.

^ Top  
  3. Hormalakh Magister

Hormalakh
    I wanted to thank oldmanpaco for his comment. I am currently reading the 307th page of this lame thread. That is all. Carry on.

^ Top  
  4. Hormalakh Magister

Hormalakh
    Another Formspring answer. Looks like constant :incline: today...

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. PlanHex Arcane Patron

PlanHex
    We already knew that, though.

^ Top  
  6. suejak Arbiter Patron Village Idiot

suejak
    What is "top of pack"? This is all sounding weirdly realistic.

^ Top  
  7. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/obsidian/project-eternity/posts/371907

Do keep up.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Hormalakh About dodging chance being affect by heaviness of armor

He doesn't seem to be interested in addressing my idea about dodging.

^ Top  
  9. Kem0sabe Arcane

Kem0sabe

Never understood why people feel that complex inventory management is a staple of RPG´s. If your character can carry 20 swords in his/her backpack, how is that more realistic than carrying 40 swords... why have a limit on what you can carry?

I understand that having to go to town to sell your stuff is a motivation to travel back and forth between adventuring and civilization, which allows some more design options, but i would prefer to have unlimited space.

Just a thought.

^ Top  
  10. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Preferences are like opinions. Everybody's got one. :M

^ Top  
  11. Lancehead Liturgist

Lancehead
    The equipment+pack+stash should keep all types of preferences reasonably happy, I think. If people can get past the stash magically following the party around only to take items in and not let out.

^ Top  
  12. Aeschylus Prestigious Gentleman Swindler Patron

Aeschylus
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
    There's been an update, largely devoid of any content. Except that we now have a more precise update schedule I guess (Tuesday evenings PST).

^ Top  
  13. Spectacle Arcane Patron

Spectacle
    I would like to use this thread to say that I am fucking tired of RPGs (and games in general) where your primary source of money is by finding and selling equipment. Finding treasure would be much more satisfying. Chests of gold guarded by bandidts. Fist sized gems stolen from the eyes of a demonic statue. Golden regalia from the tomb of the sorcerer-king. Way cooler treasure than the +3 sword you sell because you already have a +4.

It would be even cooler if you have to actively search out treasure rather than primarily coming across it while completing other quests.

• Brofist Brofist x 10
    ^ Top  
  14. Kem0sabe Arcane

Kem0sabe
    I agree. Also think that enemies should drop only the equipment they are actually using, and some of that equipment (or all of it) should have a chance to drop in an unusable/broken state due to the ass kicking you gave the previous owner.

Animals and other assorted non humanoid shit should not drop armors you can use.

^ Top  
  15. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Josh has already confirmed that enemies will drop the equipment they were using.

^ Top  
  16. Aeschylus Prestigious Gentleman Swindler Patron

Aeschylus
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Indeed.
    [​IMG]

^ Top  
  17. Kem0sabe Arcane

Kem0sabe
    Nice to know.

Can´t wait to see this thing in motion, any word on an ETA for a gameplay video?

^ Top  
  18. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    No, it's too early.

^ Top  
  19. Surf Solar cannot into womynz

Surf Solar
    Atleast some new eye-candy screenshot like the first one would be nice.

^ Top  
  20. fizzelopeguss Arcane

fizzelopeguss
    They can, most IE games' 3d renders are laughably primitive by todays standards if you look at them from a pure technology stance. Todays GPU's could do all that shit in realtime, and with deferred renderers, ambient occlusion and global illumination tech that would make the 1990's game artist shit his pants with envy.

^ Top  
  21. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Fixed?

^ Top  
  22. Hormalakh Magister

Hormalakh
    No. It's not fixed. I don't believe Tuluse was talking about using old 3d tech to prerender. He's saying that using rendering technology (new or old) and pre-rendering graphics will always give you better visual quality and he's right.

It's a matter of rendering time and calculations that the computer has to do to display the image. As your image quality increases (usually this can be approximated using polygon count, but other effects can obviously increase the rendering time) you need more time to render the image to a high visual quality. If you use real-time rendering , as most 3d games currently do, your GPU is calculating the math to display the image in real-time. A pre-render has already done the image calculations ahead of time and has already given you the output as a 2d image.

Put another way: the quality of their images is so high (high polygons, and other image rendering technologies) that it takes several hours for each image to render completely. Add to that fact, that they go back and "fix" the images and you start to realize why a real-time 3d would not work for the environment. For the game to play where the environment is 3d that is dynamic (not a 2d image), you would need to render the same amount of polys (and other whizbangs) at a infinitesimally small amount of time. This is not possible. As your rendering technology increases on GPUs you can increase your poly counts for pre-renders and your poly counts for real-time. But you can never have the same quality for a real-time that you would have for a pre-render.

Does this make sense?

E: They are obviously not going to be using old rendering technology to render their images. They are using the newest technology that they can, and this will give them even faster renders. Josh has already said as much. Something along the lines of how rendering images takes them a lunch hour instead of 3 days.

E2: The other thing is that those old renders just took longer to do whereas now they take less time. But the old images didn't sacrifice polys because they had "unlimited time" to render. You have to sacrifice one of the two: polys or time. Those old renders took 3 or 4 days per image. If you've ever worked in the graphics industry, you'd know about the old saying among graphics artists whenever they were being called-out for not doing any work at the office. They'd always say "Oh, my images are rendering." It was such a huge computer processor hog that artists had basically nothing else to do until their images rendered out completely. So they could mess around while their computers did the work.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. suejak Arbiter Patron Village Idiot

suejak
    He was obviously saying that the old IE prerenders look better than anything modern GPUs can produce in real-time.

^ Top  
  24. Hormalakh Magister

Hormalakh
    It'll be a long time until modern GPUs can produce such great images in real-time. A long long time... We'd probably need a revolutionary new method of rendering.

^ Top  
  25. Turisas Arch Devil Patron

Turisas
    Yeah, like PC being the lead platform.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)