Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Odd Gods - phase-based spacetime travel RPG about the 1990s

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by LESS T_T, Nov 3, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Luckmann Arcane Zionist Agent

Luckmann
    Yup. Touched a nerve. :positive:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Oh, Roqua you precious, precious king of the retards.

The irony of Roqua calling me a nuCodexer is so thick it can't be pierced by anything but unobtanium.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
    • Funny x 7
    • Brofist x 1
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • nice x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Kit Walker Totally Not Captain Shrek

Kit Walker
    What's wrong with missing RNG?

It is hardly necessary and frankly, a feature of preference.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    Fully deterministic turn-based RPGs are rare on account of how difficult they are to do.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Roqua Arcane In My Safe Space

Roqua
    I'm not following your logic, nuCodex child. And you didn't touch a nerve. I've been being called a retard on this site for years before there were buttons. And I wouldn't be surprised if 95% of your nuCodex compatriots have given me the retard button multiple times.

IF YOU CAN"T BEAT EM - JOIN 'EM. I'm just like you guys now.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • butthurt butthurt x 2
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. lophiaspis Savant

lophiaspis
    Grumpy Grognard the most promising RPGs right now are this, Copper Dreams, and Disco Elysium. Quite exciting that they are all turnbased, but also all moving away from the clunky Fallout "chess with guns" tropes.

Could you explain the combat system in more detail? When I think what would be the best WEGO combat system I think of something like simultaneous GURPS, aka realtime with automatic pause each second. There would be no 'move' and 'action' phases, just a single round in which you can stuff all your actions, and these rounds would be quite short compared to most games. You could move and shoot at the same time, but your accuracy would be awful unless you have high skill and certain perks. But if you have a high level character, then you can do multiple acrobatic moves while shooting auto fire on several targets with high accuracy Matrix style. You could spend a whole round aiming to boost your accuracy for next round, but might get interrupted or the enemy might move out of sight. If two characters fire at each other in the same round, it's down to a roll between their reaction stats/fast-draw skills to see who shoots first. This also happens if you shoot at someone in the same round they dive for cover - the reaction stat would be extremely important in sych a system!

The damage system would also be redone on GURPS lines to be more intense and realistic, which ironically means being more survivable than games like Fallout since in GURPS it's hard to die but easy to get knocked unconscious. A character would no longer be a tree trunk made of hit points and every weapon a different axe. Instead a normal unarmored human could only take one or a few gunshots before going down and damage would cause realistic shock, bleeding, stunning effects as well as psychological effects.

It seems to me this kind of system would be perfect for a kind of Jagged Alliance game. But what is your system like? Is it more abstract?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Grumpy Grognard Inn Between Worlds Developer

Grumpy Grognard
    Aaahhh shit, you just made my day. Copper Dreams and Disco Elysium are two of the most interesting RPGs in development right now that I know about. Thank you, I'll do my best to live up to that ;)

I could explain the system in more detail, but *cough*, you just described it pretty well actually! Imagine that system you described being used for melee also, and you're closing in on the OG design pretty quickly... There are some abstractions - can you give me an example of what you mean? Might be able to elaborate a bit.

FWIW I went into some detail in this post: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...pg-about-the-1990s.118969/page-3#post-5363817

...Some point soon I want to get a bunch of alpha testing done on the combat system - would you be interested in having a look when we're ready to do an alpha test? If you are, sign up for our mailing list and PM me the email address or something so I know it's you, and I'll put you on the priority list. Email list here: http://eepurl.com/cTeu3T

... If anyone else is keen, let me know as well (can't promise anything, unless you give us a big compliment and write in-depth about combat mechanics - just kidding)..

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. lophiaspis Savant

lophiaspis
    Alright, that looks really good actually!

Sure, thanks! PMed you my email.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Chaotic_Heretic Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Shitposter

Chaotic_Heretic
    wait i thought this was true turn based. turns out its phase based. oh well.

^ Top  
  9. Grumpy Grognard Inn Between Worlds Developer

Grumpy Grognard
    Understandable, given the thread title... Infinitron, can the post thread title be changed to say 'phase based' or 'simultaneous turn based'? Or is it up the OP Less T_T ? Am i even 'tagging' people the right way?

• Yes Yes x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Grumpy Grognard Inn Between Worlds Developer

Grumpy Grognard
    Aha. Thanks!

^ Top  
  11. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    BTW Grumpy Grognard I can't believe I didn't ask you this before, but this is the obvious inspiration for the game's tagline, right?

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Grumpy Grognard Inn Between Worlds Developer

Grumpy Grognard
    maxresdefault.jpg

• incline incline x 3
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 2
    ^ Top  
  13. ItsChon Liturgist Patron

ItsChon
    I fucking love the Evil Dead series, can't believe I missed that. Good taste.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Abu Antar Tweet, tweet Patron

Abu Antar
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. lophiaspis Savant

lophiaspis
    It reminds me of the original concept for Fallout.

Except with 20 years hindsight. So the 1990s decade itself is the crossroads between timelines somehow... LOL, what an amazing concept, can't wait to see what they make of it.

The combat system also seems closer to what TimCain et al might have made if they hadn't lost GURPS. Imagine if CRPG developers would stop cargo culting Fallout's janky-ass system as Holy Writ and realize it was literally hacked together in 1 week. So Odd Gods is a sort of alternate dimension version of Fallout? Meta.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Very cool interview: https://www.indiegraze.com/2018/08/25/interview-odd-gods-gil-maclean/

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)