Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Odd quirks you have while playing RPGs

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
First run in an RPG I make choices as close to what I would actually do and let the cards fall where they may, which usually means all the goody goods die for being too obnoxious.

EDIT: Oh and I usually waste a week or two re-rolling when I realize how horrible my current character build is.

Thal

Prophet
I love threads like these. They go a long way showing what kind of freaks populate this forum.

I try to go blind into a new game, but always end up doing research for best builds. Then I try to convince myself to accept a suboptimal build by telling myself that the game is likely so easy that I'll have more fun by allowing it to challenge me. It works for a while, but then I go back to guides anyway. I end up accepting a compromise where I don't build a game breaking combat monster but maybe end up incorporating a trick or two into the character archetype. However, at this point I'm becoming exhausted and bored of my pc and the idea of playing the game. Then I force myself to start and the feeling goes away.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I try to use as little in game time as possible in most games.
I do that too, using all my spells before resting, trying to limit as much as possible the travelling times (I reload if it does not involve to much things to do again) ...
refuse to run past / away from enemies. Everything must die, including me if it must be. Only exception is a game with enemies visible on the world map that would lead to an encounter
Your willpower stat is strong, I often bump onto every one of them. :negative:

conan_edw

Arbiter
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
I Dex 10/Max then adjust accordingly or even reroll after reading what every stat does. Don't know why but it became a habit

Incendax

Augur
I stop playing when I am about 80% done with a game. No idea why.
At least it becomes an excuse to play again in 2-3 years.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
In party based RPGs, especially IE or IE-like ones I HAVE to have a "balanced" party that contains a "perfect mix" of all classes etc
Simultaneously I want to complete ALL NPC-sidequests which means switching up characters and playing a funky line-up poker frequently :dealwithit:

MpuMngwana

Arbiter
In games with full party creation, every party member must be of different race and class, min-maxing be damned.

I am terrible at coming up with character names, so most of the time I default to one of the following methods:
-Random person from history or mythology. There doesn't have to be any sort of connection between the person and my character (for example, I wouldn't be above naming my elf wizard Genghis Khan).
-Lame pun of some sort. This tends to come up mostly in Pokemon, occasionally appears in other games.
-Something incredibly dumb and obvious, like Thiefy the thief or Spell Guy the wizard.

I try to advance as much as possible without resting.

In most cases I'm the anti-completionist, and I don't bother with content I don't enjoy or exploring every single cave. There are two major exceptions however:
-In the Infinity Engine games, once I've entered a map, it has to be fully explored until there is no fog of war. It has to be manual too - clairvoyance spell doesn't cut it. Skipping entire maps is fair game, though.
-In grid based blobbers, every square must be stepped on. If there is a trap, and it gets my party killed so I have to reload, the trap must be stepped on AGAIN because last time didn't count. If the trap is visible (like in M&M 3-5), I still must step on that square. Occasionally, if the consequences are too disastrous, I will allow myself to skip that particular square, but that one unexplored point will bother me until the end of the game.

If I get information from an NPC, die without saving and reload, I will go get that information again, even if no flags are being set and there is no in-game consequence to that particular dialogue, because my character still doesn't have that information.

Zenith

Arbiter
I make hard saves at every new major area, name them and try to wrap up as much as I can from content available up to that point. I also avoid making hard saves that break this "rule". The justification in my mind is that when I'll replay the game in the future I'll be able to load a save, know the state of it exactly, and skip to the good parts. Of course, RPGs don't have good parts when I actually replay them I either use some new mod/patch/game version or just start from scratch anyway.
Despite this, it does have some pratical use: I can put a game down for months and then actually return to it and finish it.

Dodo1610

Arcane
I never use items but not to save them for later, I'm just to lazy to use them. And i allways forget to change my party member equipment.

Dedup

Augur
For party based games where you can't put all of the playable characters into your party, I make an excel chart on a lap top for things like level and XP and then add a macro button to sort the results. I use this to pick the characters with the lowest level/XP to put into the party.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
I always make all-humanoid parties. Only humans, elves, dwarves etc go into my party.

No filthy furry or lizard races, or anything that doesn't at least somewhat resemble humans. Xenos stay out.

I love Wizardry 8 and Wizards and Warriors, but I never played a party containing even a single one of the weird non-human races those games offer. Do I miss out on really cool builds? Sure, but I also keep my party pure, which is much more important.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
I name all my first time thru starting character's some variation of 'Crispy '.

I let them all die horribly in the first minutes, then I restart and continue the game properly with normal character names.

Zep--

Gregz

Arcane
I'm a completionist, which means I do all sidequests and 'mow the map' to ensure no fog of war remains.

This works well when a game is well designed (bloodlines, JA2), terribly when it's not (too many to list).

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I am a fan of Bruce Lee and Fist of the North Star, and so I always make sure I have 1 monk, or unarmed character in my party. Always optimally configured. (Always a homage to Bruce Lee.)

If I can, I make a character with a horribly sub-optimal stat configuration to see if the game is still enjoyable with it.
(i.e.: Paladin with insane DEX and INT, but mediocre STR and WIS)

I always take a toilet brake before making big decisions. (if I can)
If the game does not provide any big decisions that stop me and prompt a toilet brake, I usually substract a few points.

I don't look up anything about the game on my first play-through. If a game is better blind, then it gets few extra points in my book.

If Chris Avellone or Hidetaka Miyazaki are involved in it, I am unusually prudent and careful in every single way, from exploring game mechanics to writing and music.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
I always make all-humanoid parties. Only humans, elves, dwarves etc go into my party.

No filthy furry or lizard races, or anything that doesn't at least somewhat resemble humans. Xenos stay out.
basically only party members with feet allowed. I bet you would exclude pirate with peg legs

Also every character in my parties is female, yes :M

Tiger666

Novice
Spend more time making spreadsheets than playing.

1.png

2.png

Lagi

Savant
I spend hours configuring controls.
I use AHK just to spend days on writing "perfect" scripts. I come into idea "this can be played nice with my gamepad, keyspad, additional numeric keyboard". I wondering if it would be better to play the game on TV, desktop or laptop. I rearrange furnishing of my room just to achieve perfect gaming position [laying on bed, on the floor with head supported, screen above head, ...].
and then i get bored/distracted with life, and never re-use my setup.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
I always make the same amount of males and females in parties. And then I imagine them being couples: "this one has a relationship with this one, and that one with that one, etc...".
Because of that I can only play parties of 2, 4, 6 or 8. I also want my couples to be similar in race and not sodomites (which means furries can't have relationships with humans).

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
I have every single habit mentioned in this thread. :negative:

I do quite a lot, but not others. I don't constantly restart or abandon games based on builds, for example, but I'm a dedicated fog of war clearer. The IE games are particularly annoying with their fog of war as many buildings will be so big that even fully circumventing them might not reveal a patch of fog right in the middle of the roof. In the BG games you can use clairvoyance, but not in the other IE games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom