Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Odd quirks you have while playing RPGs

ortucis

Prophet
Oh yeah, that reminds me of how I kill anyone that insults me in RPGs. Same reason why I never joined Legion in New Vegas, I was always too fed up with their shit on my very first meeting. Being a wasteland psycho is fun.

Haha, same here. When I first played NV (when it was released) and encountered them, they were high level and acting all tough.

Killed them all, despite dying 3 times, even their dogs. Leaving them alive was not an option cause they talked down to me the moment we met. Never joined Legion, but have wiped out their entire camp every playthrough for lulz. Dumbest faction in an RPG, ever.

Anyway, as far as my quirks are concerned:

- Save before making any choices and reload to get a better option/reward. I do that because I majority of RPG's are not worth replaying and I know my first playthrough will be the last one (only exceptions are DeusEx and Bloodlines). So I save-scum and get the best ending for my playthrough, if allowed. If it isn't possible (checkpoint system), it doesn't bother me.

- Almost never play a bad guy. "Evil" in games is childishly stupid and almost always filled with drawbacks. Seems like a waste of time since randomly killing pixels doesn't really interest me. There should be a point to doing all that, and no game has ever given me a good reason to (a game where you're playing evil by default, doesn't really count).

- Steal and sell everything on my way. Money is something I always aim for. It's the easiest thing to increase so why not? Even when I'm not playing a stealth/theif character, I try to steal as much shit as I can. For example, in Gothic games, I never bothered increasing sneaking and even lockpicking I only bothered when I was done learning crucial combat skills, and none of that stopped me from stealing everything I could, in every single house.

- I end up leveling too fast in most RPG's by doing all side quests. So fast that I reach level cap without even reaching half of the primary quest, ending up overpowered, which kinda ruins the game. Witcher 3 is a good example. Did so many side quests that in all main quests, even the last one, I was one-hit killing every enemy. That game is seriously not well balanced, if you ignore their "recommended" quest levels.

- I explore every inch. I do that in RTS too. Clearing fog-of-war until every inch of minimap shows explored. I do the same in RPG's. I do this mostly to avoid missing any side quests and hidden stuff developers have put, then get disappointed in 99% of RPG's when there's nothing. Majority RPG's feel like they are created by soulless corporations with no effort put into level design. So where I'm expecting a story to be told, there's nothing.

- I almost always pick humans or human looking team members. Only exception has been Mass Effect series since they don't have any interesting human characters.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I've done this in literally every game I've played where there are different starting classes to choose from:
  1. Start off as the class I think is going to be fun
  2. Play as that character for roughly 3 hours
  3. Delete character
  4. Rinse and repeat with every single class
  5. Re-roll same exact character as the original to beat game
Some games make this process much more time consuming than others.
That is arguably the best way to play a game. The classes are content and if you play through with 1 class like most people, you are missing massive amounts of content you paid for. That said, I rarely do more than one because the rest of the content is rarely fun enough to play through twice.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
My quirk is trying to do everything and see everything,do love finish a RPG at 100%. Also taking breaks is natural,people have very low attention span,30-60 minutes.

Grubba

Arcane
If it's a game where you create one character, for my first playthrough i'll always go with the vanilla good-aligned sword & shield fighter. Maybe a splash of a divine caster class for some healing & buff ability but never paladin. I try to stick to the main quest as best I can, might seek out a side quest if i'm close to levelling, but for the most part I'm just trying to plow through the game as fast as possible.

After I beat the game (or close to it) and I feel like going through it again, then i'll create some kind of shitbag thief/mage where I basically do the opposite of my first playthrough. I take my time, go full-blast OCD micromanager, open every locked door & chest, complete every side-quest, fully explore every inch of every map, etc...

Yarddog

Novice
Patron
Insert Title Here
RPGs of true incline are new to me, so when I'm presented with character creation screens that include anything more than seven basic stats (Age of Decadence), I realize... New Vegas was my golden era.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
My quirk is trying to do everything and see everything,do love finish a RPG at 100%. Also taking breaks is natural,people have very low attention span,30-60 minutes.
Speak for yourself retard. Also you have far more quirks than that, like posting on a forum 12000 times in less than 2 years and still struggling with reading, writing, and thinking after it all.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
I play as an elf generally because elves are better for magic paths. I usually play as either a mage or a warrior, but also quite often as a Spellsword. Playing as the first and the last, I tend to stay relatively unarmoured with a lot of liberty in movement. Playing as the second, I tend to go full tank and sword and board.
I also never play as an archer since there is not a single real time game that does ranged combat well and in TB and isometric my main character tends to be party leader who takes the initiative. Being with a bow means you have to stay behind basically like a bitch.

Beavery

Literate
The worst habit I have is almost always losing gas, forcing myself to stop games in the middle and only finishing them half a year later after having to restart everything again because I forgot everything

I try to pick the strangest playable race. It can be a bit of a problem if the devs were generous with the selection...

gfs_69681_1_5.jpg

(that's FF Legend II by the way)

edit: I'm also a terrible packrat and will keep everything that looks like it could be useful in 'the future", even antidotes if I have a cheap spell that cures poison. Abilities or items that raise my carrying capacity will always be given priority over extra healing or damage.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Speak for yourself retard. Also you have far more quirks than that, like posting on a forum 12000 times in less than 2 years and still struggling with reading, writing, and thinking after it all.
Please change your tampon mate.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I take gender roles in my party VERY seriously. If it's a medieval RPG:

Front line fighters -> Male
Thief/Rogue/Bard -> Female
Mage (pure dmg) -> Male
Mage (crowd control) -> Female
Priest/Cleric -> DEPENDS. Are clerics in this game warrior-like (eg: D&D)? Then MALE. But if they are "healers" with no combat ability -> female.

In modern games (with guns):

Snipers -> female
Machine gun dude -> male
Rifle/assault -> males
Medic -> either, depends
Engineer -> male. Always.

This is also why I can't really get into pathfinder. Game forces stronk fighting wahmen on you and that just fucking sucks. BG2 was relatively observant of proper gender roles, interestingly enough. That is, until the very derpy ending of ToB.

grom

Educated
I always go for a speech/charisma sort of character on my first playthrough if a game allows it (and is a single-character game). Talking my way out of everything is the most satisfying way to play a RPG for me. Which is weird because if I had to pick between a game having good dialogue/story or good combat I will always pick good combat.

Like someone else stated, I perch on my chair like a gargoyle or something if I'm particularly enjoying the game.

I refuse to spend more than 15 minutes in Character Creation.

That's how long I take to decide on a character name.

Pick a dumb name: Man, that was a stupid decision, I can't take the adventures of Mr. Penis seriously. Restart.

Pick a normal name: Man, these dialogues would be funnier if they were saying "please Mr. Penis, we need you!". Restart.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I autistically talk as if I developed the game. I usually begin with phrases such as

One of the biggest obstacles we came across when designing the game...

I also tend to use MCA's voice tone, and switching with Sawyer's too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom