Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Odd realm (another) Dwarf Fortress clone

Perkel

Arcane
Well this looks like actually Dwarf Fortress that works and doesn't seem to be mauled by FPS.
Also it has actual modern UI.

Will try it.

edit:

Ok music is pretty fucking good. Digging themes here.
New game:

unknown.png

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
First 5 minutes and game really gives me good impressions.
It feels like first 5 minutes of Stardew Valley, everything is "right" and could be good game.

embark screen:

unknown.png

Perkel

Arcane
Look 21 century UI to equip your migrants, check stats, assign jobs lololol
I will do also short videos because game really looks nice, sounds nice and seems really fun

unknown.png

Perkel

Arcane
Love ambient sound. Whoosh of trees, bees flying around, birds singing. Neat.
It has grass destruction/regeneration like in DF, at least it seems like it.

Perkel

Arcane
Welcome to 21 century dwarf fortress.
I designated zone for wood and suprise suprise....

Stuff is stacking ! Instead of 9 wood pieces like in DF i can store .... MORE than 9.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
Does it have sweat and growing fingernails?

No. But it doesn't go into FPS death when you have 10 members.

So far the stuff i don't like but probably will change in future:
- only one size of embark and it is rather small
- seems like some of the systems like disease and stuff are bugged or don't work correctly

It seems to be one man work and dude rather frequently updates game also he has bug reporting on trello and seems to actively squash bugs. Game is mostly played with mouse (though you can use keyboard too for shortcuts). Again welcome to 21 century.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
Talked with dev for a bit.

- bigger maps are coming
- naturally plans to add crapload of more stuff
- mostly his work + music by other dude
- tries to go into RimWorld release model, so don't expect 1.0 quickly but game should be playable always, just now feature complete for early access.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Tried it. Seems okay, except that it's too pixelated. I mean, I know it's supposed to look like that, but as others pointed out here the text is really hard to read and it's hard to see what the hell is going on overall. When I play my mind just goes to Dwarf Fortress, thinking; "why play this, when I can play the superior game instead". Maybe in the future.

Perkel

Arcane
When I play my mind just goes to Dwarf Fortress, thinking; "why play this, when I can play the superior game instead". Maybe in the future.

Because it doesn't go into FPS death after few hours.
But yeah it is still not finished.

oscar

Arcane
Font is a walking eye strain and I'm not a fan of pseudo-pixel graphics but other than that looks good.

Saerain

Augur
Patron
And non-binary dwarves, of course. So ambitious of him to develop a whole new system of processor instructions just for a fantasy kingdom sim.

Perkel

Arcane
Fuck why it is only one year. I wish i could back to it in few years with a lot more content...

DDZ

Red blood, white skin, blue collar
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I missed out on Rimworld for a good two years because I couldn't get over the way it looked. But man, Rimworld game looks amazing compared to this shit. I wouldn't mind artsy stylized pixels if it at least didn't make everything close to impossible to make out and a bitch to read.

Fuck you indie devs.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
I missed out on Rimworld for a good two years because I couldn't get over the way it looked. But man, Rimworld game looks amazing compared to this shit. I wouldn't mind artsy stylized pixels if it at least didn't make everything close to impossible to make out and a bitch to read.

Fuck you indie devs.
You should definitely play Dwarf Fortress first. Going from Rimworld -> DF will be harder due to the UI.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom