Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Odin demands blood! Let's revive the Viking Age in Crusader Kings 2!

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I dunno, Sweden was once(will once be?) a name spoken off in fear amongst europe. Under the pagan bannar of the norse gods it will be again. :)

Kayerts

Arcane
I think CK2 only lets you change county-level names. I could probably mod it to edit kingdom titles, but I feel like that's the wrong road to go down, both for the reasons explained previously and also because I would abuse the hell out of that. All our enemies would get names like the My Little Pony Princessdom of Norway and the Holy Smokes-Batman Empire; it would quickly grow incomprehensibly retarded.

Plus, uh, one thing that our jarls have been omitting in their speeches about how we must scour the Most Hated Swedish Scum from the Earth is that our cultural identity is and has been Swedish.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
The biggest travesty Scandinavia ever did was abandoning our badass religion in favour of a fag who preached turning the other cheek and got his sorry ass crucified.

the-end-of-all-ice-giants.jpg

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
The real :decline: here is that the awe-inspiring name of Valhalla has abdicated in favour of the far less intimidating Sweden.
Will you change it back?

yeah, whats with the namechanging? Valhalla, Norrland etc
Stepping up in titles. Ie, after the Ducal title of Norrland, the country became Norrland as the Duke of Norrland was the highest title.

Kayerts

Arcane
The good (?) news is that the only rank above us now is Emperor. Despite my best efforts, we are unlikely to become an emperor any time soon, so the game will be referring to us as Sweden for the foreseeable future. I'll continue to refer to us as Norsemen/Viking/Valhallans, and possibly--after the Great Purge--Swedes.

a fag who [...] got his sorry ass crucified

Indeed, the Norse would never have worshipped a guy who'd get himself sacrificially affixed to a piece of wood. M:

Kayerts

Arcane
Johan, nooooo! : x

Anyway, bros, I'm at a quandary regarding what to do with the new 1.05 patch. On one hand, it looks mostly awesome.

On the other hand, I've already forged ahead quite a bit, and there were some wonderfully messed up things that happened. I even pre-wrote some of the narrative, because it was more exciting than what's happening now. Also, if I replay now with foreknowledge, I'd make some different calls.

On my mutant third hand, I can't seem to download the patch yet, so there's no guarantee it will even work with my save game.

So, I seek your input. What should I do?

A) Dead and Be Damned: play with the patched save if possible, using a save from around the time of the last update.
B) Keep to the Code: play on with 1.04c
C) A Motley Crew: play on with 1.04c until the (non-replicable) really cool shit goes down (the peak is about 70 years from now), then switch over.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
B), unless the patch will really bring something special to the table (like the ability to become a Pope with full powers :M)

Esquilax

Arcane
B) Just keep this amazing fucking LP going. Sucks that Warrior Cults are being nerfed, aren't they one of the few advantages you have as a Pagan?

Kayerts

Arcane
B) Just keep this amazing fucking LP going. Sucks that Warrior Cults are being nerfed, aren't they one of the few advantages you have as a Pagan?

Actually that's an interesting exercise.

Advantages of being Norse:
+ Warrior cults
+ Better relations with the Mongols, when they show up (actually pretty important, considering that we're near the edge of the map)

Disadvantages of being Norse:
- Almost everything else
- Shitty starting land
- Nonexistent starting income
- Nonexistent starting tech
- The vast majority of Europe hates you
- Position exposes you to a lot of borders with hostile nations, if you expand (we expanded)
- Crappy allies / options for marital claims
- Holy knights will destroy you
- Limited mercs
- No holy wars / crusades
- No claims
- No papal invasions
- Long-lasting religious penalties for newly conquered land
- Low moral authority for the church, making conversions hard
- No mechanism for raising church authority besides creating Paragons of Virtue
- No antipope

Mixed:
+/- No pope (you don't lose religious taxes to him, but he doesn't randomly hand you free money, either)

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Yup, B. Alternatively: whatever makes the next update come faster ;)

Kayerts

Arcane
The people speak with one voice.

I might eventually try a what-might-have-been run and give a (much briefer) report of what would happen with 1.05. For what it's worth, even with Johan's recent crimes against the pagan peoples, I have faith in my rage-powered Vikings' ability to triumph over the cold logic of AI kings and indeed over the False Emperor of Romans himself.

Next update should be up in a few days.

Kayerts

Arcane
Sorry guys, work has been wacky. Next update is half finished; I'll try to get it wholly there over the weekend.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom