Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Official codex Star Trek Online topic :salute:

anus_pounder

Arcane
11117.png

Last edited:

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
old news, plus it's been going downhill ever since they announced f2p.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
It went to complete shit once they gave into the whiny dumbfuck federation players and changed the combat.

It's a waste of time even now at free.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Like ALL MMO's even shit ones, if you can find an active a good guild, any game can be enjoyable.

The big Gay/Lesbian/Transgender/Bisexual guild I was in in STO was fucking awesome <3. The shit changes to the combat made me rage-quit.

anus_pounder

Arcane
What exactly did they do to the combat that makes you rage so hard ? I'll admit I'm looking forward to this mostly because of piloting my ship. I remember the release date reviews all said the ground combat sucks.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
anus_pounder said:
What exactly did they do to the combat that makes you rage so hard ? I'll admit I'm looking forward to this mostly because of piloting my ship. I remember the release date reviews all said the ground combat sucks.

I could write an epic wall of text on this but to sum it up quickly, they basically "dumbed down" most all of each classes special abilities (think of "spells"). The Klingon side was HIGHLY organized, use voice chat and knew the mechanics of the combat system and used Teamwork, So we pretty much could kick major ass in PvP due to Federation players who were un-organized, didn't use voice chant, used no teamwork, and are morans and didn't spend 5 minutes reading and understanding the simple combat mechanics.

So the devs decided to "fix" it so the whiny federation players would stop crying and then all of the Klingon players said fuck you and canceled our accounts.

If you have never played it before, I dunno, you might like it.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I'd still like to know some more details, I'm curious.

Though if I played this it would definately be as a Vulcan, because Vulcans are awesome.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Vaarna_Aarne said:
I'd still like to know some more details, I'm curious.

Though if I played this it would definately be as a Vulcan, because Vulcans are awesome.

To be honest, I'd have to go find the forum and then the epic thread that was there about this whole discussion (it was quite detailed in the combat mechanics) and I just don't really have the time. And most of my memory is a bit hazy on the exact details. I just remember waking up every day when they announced this bullshit, heading to the forums and voicing concern (as well as many others were, in a detailed and civil manner) over and over and them just not getting it so I just said fuck it and left.

L'ennui

Magister
I'll finally be giving this a try, then. We should all form a guild/group/posse/gang of Codexers. Jaesun, you sour old grape, we will need your guidance in our humble beginnings. Cooomeee oooonnn it'll be fun. :P

anus_pounder

Arcane
L'ennui said:
I'll finally be giving this a try, then. We should all form a guild/group/posse/gang of Codexers. Jaesun, you sour old grape, we will need your guidance in our humble beginnings. Cooomeee oooonnn it'll be fun. :P

Dunno if you're joking, but I'm all for a codex...fleet (was it ?) if you're being serious. :thumbsup:

EDIT:

:what:

What the christ ? No Romulans ?!? It seems I must once again encase myself in mundane human flesh. :x

L'ennui

Magister
anus_pounder said:
L'ennui said:

Dunno if you're joking, but I'm all for a codex...fleet (was it ?) if you're being serious. :thumbsup:

EDIT:

:what:

What the christ ? No Romulans ?!? It seems I must once again encase myself in mundane human flesh. :x
Yes, alas my favored Rommies are not playable... But hey, yeah I was serious! It'll be free, it'll be Trek, ergo I'll be playing it fo'sho! We might as well as band together! Epic ballads will be sung. Borgs will be atomized and redshirts squandered for nil. And for free! Yeaaaa :thumbsup:

anus_pounder

Arcane
Don't actually know anything about Star Trek, but I'm interested in the space battles thing. I watched a video called 'Ground Combat 2.0' or something like that, it looked a lot like Mass Effect ?

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I guess I could use a minor diversion from CO when it comes to MMOs. I just leveled a character from creation to level cap within the Double XP Weekend.

Besides, Vulcans are bawss.

Majestic47

Learned
Too much technobabble in the game. I dislike this aspect of pulling random words together and creating some 'techno mumbo' jumbo with stats attached.

I wasn't enjoying my STO trial much earlier this year, and doubtful about investing much time in the F2P, the current consensus is that the devs are trying to make lots of the game 'not free' before launch, some crafting changes will also affect paying customers, hence many are kinda annoyed at that.

I know you guys complained about DCUO having too little things to pay for, like costumes and powers, but you should be thankful for that, since that renders almost 75% of the game accessible to non-paying customers.

STO, I doubt this will be the case. The City of Heroes F2P wasn't very friendly to first timers, no tells, no mails, no invention, it's like they just let you in there, and expect you to be happy by just attacking and gaining levels. You cannot even form a party if you are a free-player.

anus_pounder

Arcane
Bought the game and subscribed 3 months. I need some sci-fi MMO now that I'm sure as hell not buying ToR. Hope I don't regret my purchase. Saw a few videos and it seems fun enough.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
I bought the game on release and was totally let down. I bought it mainly for PvE though, not PvP. Reading about having your own ship and going on missions (not only combat but science n stuff as well) really got me hyped.
But it was nothing like I imagined. At all.
Combat wise... well I don't know the fact that you can't really fail and you don't loose anything when your ship gets destroyed / your crew killed, it felt more like a casual game to me.

Of course when it's F2P you can give it a go but don't expect your mind to be blown away by this one.

anus_pounder

Arcane
Canceled my Subscription. According to the forums, I should still have my 30 days of free play, but even If I don't nothing major is lost. At £5, I'm fine with wasting that much, but I don't think its worth the £30 Cryptic was asking for a 3-month subscription, let alone the £190 for a lifetime sub.

I had fun in the few hours I played, no question. I just don't think I was particularly excited enough with it to warrant continuous play. While I do get bored with Champions Online on occasion, the Character Creation and free form powers make it worth a temporary subscription at least. With STO, I don't really see anything to hook myself on. Still, It was fun enough that I may consider playing it part-time once it goes F2P.

To be honest, I never really expected anything incredible. I'm just incredibly hungry for some Sci-Fi MMO. The Old Republic looks alright, but I'm not paying £40 for a free month when STO gives me the same for £5.

laclongquan

Arcane
Im in City of Heroes/Villains right now and I say free play is not that bad. As one gamer put it, free play put you right at the stage of pre-Invention. No arc stories, but then I havent even finish all the story missions yet.
Fight enemies one level slower, and myself comparable to 4, Boss fight, and no archenemy.

Multi-headed Cow

Huh. I checked out the free to play difference list and it appears to my untrained eye to be SUSPICIOUSLY GENEROUS. Sounds like you're only lightly crippled by doing free to play, and you have access to all quests and areas and all that shit. I'll probably check it out.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
The brahmin is right. All areas + quests unlocked alone puts it miles above other F2P shams like LoTRO. Gonna give it a whirl.

Majestic47

Learned
interesting. maybe i shd put it on download when i get home.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom