Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RTS Offworld Trading Company - economic RTS from the designer of Civ 4

Bought it and playing through the tutorials. I like it. Don't really have a lot of in depth things to say at the moment beyond the fact that it's cool. Seems like it would be a VERY fun MP game, and the different "factions" play very differently (in a good way), but winning seems to require the same thing from each - hostile takeover.

Renegen

Arcane
To anyone playing it, how close is this game to real world trading/economics/business? I don't really like this whole sabotage mechanic.

To anyone playing it, how close is this game to real world trading/economics/business? I don't really like this whole sabotage mechanic.
I mean, it's basic supply and demand. The sabotage mechanics are just ways to interrupt supply mostly.

DakaSha

Arcane

You can turn off black market sabotage shit. As far as i can tell the game captures the essence of what youre looking for, but its an RTS, not a aspie heaven

DakaSha

Arcane
seems boring as shit already in singleplayer. hopefully better in multi

edit: i could just be doing it wrong tho

Last edited:

Hellraiser

Arcane
k%20100.png~original

Somebody tried buying out The Kotick.

k%20118.png~original

Elongated skull gives The Kotick +20 to hostile takeover. Do you even LBO, bro?

bobby_kotick.jpg

Was a fun match. Jack shit for ore, lots of water. But I grabbed a hex with both aluminium and iron at the start, so my mine produced both. Got medium carbon, we had a scavenger so he kept buying it off the market and pumping up the price. Power was very high early in the game, but cold fusion was up for auction, with all my water I bid like mad for it, made me independent from regular power generation. I built one solar panel to sell power off on the market easily paying for all the debt I accrued by bidding.

Food, oxygen and fuel were somewhat expensive the whole game, I produced mostly that besides steel+glass for upgrades. And they paid the most on the offworld market at 700k+. Once I got launchpads it was just a mad dash to buy up rival stock.

Last edited:

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
One thing is for sure, you can never go wrong by going steel.
L1HMUr0.jpg

Edit: Or maybe you can
z6Rej7h.png

The result of a buyout race, I needed 230k cash, had 193k. My opponent needed approx the same as we both held the same amount of shares of each other and both companies held about the same value on the index. He had rokkit underway, I mass-sold all my assets but it wasn't enough when the rocket landed on earth. :argh:

Last edited:

DakaSha

Arcane
It is more fun again. after watching some of the mohawk multiplayer videos and learning about how to play

I think there's a bug in there somewhere. Out of nowhere I went from having a stock price of almost 2 bucks more than the computer, and before I know it (he's still at level 2 HQ) he buys me out immediately.

Hellraiser

Arcane
I think there's a bug in there somewhere. Out of nowhere I went from having a stock price of almost 2 bucks more than the computer, and before I know it (he's still at level 2 HQ) he buys me out immediately.

The AI probably cheats, not sure how but it does.

Also contrary to what one might expect buying stock early in the game is not that hard, you just have to focus on making money just for that rather than on expanding. Stock is actually pretty cheap early on. Takeover only gets difficult when you are not the sole shareholder and the other guy already has shitloads of assets.

The AI probably cheats, not sure how but it does.

Also contrary to what one might expect buying stock early in the game is not that hard, you just have to focus on making money just for that rather than on expanding. Stock is actually pretty cheap early on. Takeover only gets difficult when you are not the sole shareholder and the other guy already has shitloads of assets.
I was keeping an eye on his cash reserves - had 300 bucks (no offworld trading for the record) and not a ton of value in resources. Had to either be a bug or a straight up cheat.

Runciter

Augur
A fun, simple, yet addictive, real-time take on an economics board game. Definitely not worth USD 36 though, and multiplayer appears to require steam, fuck that.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I've messed around in single player a bit. It seems like most games end with most resources being basically worhless ($1-2 for the resources I produce) towards the end. But maybe I'm just shit. also, I haven't for an offworld market astronaut so I can't fly my goods out to make profits. :(

I've messed around in single player a bit. It seems like most games end with most resources being basically worhless ($1-2 for the resources I produce) towards the end. But maybe I'm just shit. also, I haven't for an offworld market astronaut so I can't fly my goods out to make profits. :(
Yeah - offworld market ends up becoming the only real option for making money if the game drags.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I think what the game could need is possibly the resources on the map beginning to decrease after a certain point to reintroduce scarcity. (Or simply colonists continuing to arrive at a steady rate, increasing pwr/food/water/o2 consumption). Something to keep demand for goods up once you've filled out most of your claims. But I've only played a couple of games yesterday, so it may be I'm just a n00b.

DakaSha

Arcane
From what i can tell, the offworld market is supposed to be the end game. once you get that, the game is about dumping and rush buying

Emily

Arcane
I think what the game could need is possibly the resources on the map beginning to decrease after a certain point to reintroduce scarcity. (Or simply colonists continuing to arrive at a steady rate, increasing pwr/food/water/o2 consumption). Something to keep demand for goods up once you've filled out most of your claims. But I've only played a couple of games yesterday, so it may be I'm just a n00b.
There is a NPC colony that is growing as the game goes. But it seems a bit slow at the moment. They only consume life support and power.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
It definitely needs to grow faster and consumer food/water too. And once enough of it has been supplied, it needs to upgrade to a larger size (which will consume and raise prices of iron/steel/glass/electronics/etc). As it is, most market prices don't fluctuate enough.

So I finished a SP campaign with a win, played a total of ~10 hours, so here are some detailed impressions:

It's an RTS, but it's not so frenetically fast paced as to be a clicky mess. I like the speed of the game... I think it's really well done. There are definite... preferred build orders early on. I like letting power float for a few HQ levels and just accumulate some debt, get iron, aluminum, silicon, and steel/glass manufacturing at a good pace, with water and maybe a fuel/oxygen plant going. Obviously some maps will require different strategy, but it has worked fairly good for me.

The one issue I would say I have is it seems to be a race to the rockets. Once the rocket income starts coming in, it's just a matter of time. Hell, I normally intentionally crash the local markets for all products once I have rockets to insure victory - which just makes you more liquid than your competition and makes buying them out easier. I don't know if this is working as intended or a flaw, and can't really decide (trading offworld SHOULD be a huge money maker, after all).

The campaign needs some work. I like the format, but some more ability to customize, and some sort of signal for victory would be preferred [as it stands, when you eliminate the last corp you just go back to the screen]. The ability to customize the campaign, or play out some set ones, or have more corps/reactivity from corps would be cool. The other thing is in the campaign there are definite preferred missions to take. Generally, take the ones that give you free buildings - it's like a free claim. At the end of my campaign I had a free mine, free reactor, free solar panel, free glass workshop, free water pump, and a free chemical factory right from the jump, which just makes the last couple of missions too easy. I was playing on the Employee difficulty though, so maybe I just need to crank it up next time.

There doesn't seem to be much if any risk in just letting debt accrue except for the effect it has on your stock price, but generally I would say the benefit you get from the auctions for extra claims/tiles/perks far outweigh the debt problems. I've gone six figures into debt easily (normally happens when they EMP my solar panels when the price of energy is particularly high) and still not had a problem winning.

RE: Black Market. Eh - more often than not it seems like a waste of money to spend it on anything other than new claims. I mean, you can interrupt some supply or something, but I don't know if it would be enough of a hindrance to make it worth it.

Ultimately, this feels like a game that will shine more in MP. I haven't really played any MP yet, but will probably do so over these snowy days we're having. Maybe this is me, but for the life of me I can't fathom why anyone WOULDN'T take expansive as their HQ type. Otherwise you're just so damn limited in claims, so that may be balanced in some way. It's a really fun game though, and pretty unique. I can't recall playing anything quite like this before. Enjoyable experience - would recommend.

I like letting power float for a few HQ levels and just accumulate some debt, get iron, aluminum, silicon, and steel/glass manufacturing at a good pace, with water and maybe a fuel/oxygen plant going.

You risk being bought out. At least in MP, the AI is shite.
I think there's a risk/reward there, and the risk of an early buyout is far less than the potential benefits of faster expansion.

Hellraiser

Arcane
The problem with fast expansion is to expand fast enough without going into silly levels of debt.

Also they should work on making the NPC colony grow fast as hell late game when everything is dirt cheap.

In other news, somebody was quite butthurt at raw for not losing fast enough

i704yvSIVZFNi.png

:M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom