Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Old/obscure/underrated JRPGs

rohand

Cipher
Just for the heck of it ran one of the pics through http://www.i2ocr.com/free-online-japanese-ocr

Then threw the extracted text into Google Translate

GQf9zTU.gif

【リョウ]】・・・たぶん、あのコンテナの中には、新品のスレイヴドールの中枢チ
ップが入っているはずだ。

[Ryo]] ... Maybe, in that container, the heart of a brand new Slave Doll
It should have been included.

infidel

StarInfidel
Developer
Strap Yourselves In
Ok! That is an awesome application and i'll be using that a lot. AWESOME!!!
You know, there's a simpler way. PC-98 emulators support hooking text to outside (since text is usually displayed with a common routine), so for the most games you can just run a tool that will grab strings and use multiple online dictionaries to translate them (not working for some games but it's a rarity). It's p. playable. Sometimes a particular dictionary API breaks and needs to be updated.

Check out the tail end of this thread for the fresh versions (and some other similar tools):
http://www.hongfire.com/forum/forum...utorials/68499-translation-aggregator/page118

Oh yeah, and there were some additional helper files somewhere that make some commonly used words translate better, like names for example. There was that game I played where the protag was called TRUTH. But it became more useful Shin after using that.

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
OK, that's creepy. Is that girl famous or something?
I sometimes inexplicably watch her cook and eat things on Youtube, but I didn't think she was well known.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I have the irresistible urge to cut her hair. That can't be good for her eyes.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
sigourn, what crt filter u using there?

crt-royale

As much as I like the non-filtered look, the pixels literally hurt my eyes when playing at high resolutions. So it's either a filter or playing in small (x2) resolutions.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Yeah, after much hemming and hawing, much delibertion, much "researching", I've finally realized the best answer to the filter question is to simply use RetroArch's Royale and Easy-Mode filters.

I keep waiting for the Saturn core to improve in RA so I can play Shining Force 3 with Royale filter.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Yeah, after much hemming and hawing, much delibertion, much "researching", I've finally realized the best answer to the filter question is to simply use RetroArch's Royale and Easy-Mode filters.

I keep waiting for the Saturn core to improve in RA so I can play Shining Force 3 with Royale filter.

I don't remember which one Easy-Mode is. But it's either royale or a filter that adds scanlines, but not extremely obvious ones, and I'm set.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Played Mad Paradox by Queen Soft (1992)

Just a run-off-the-mill 5/10 early 90s H-rpg (there are no sex scenes, just a couple of still images). Not a fan of the art style at all (same developer as Possessioner). Only played it because the manual was nice.

The story is a simple tale of revenge, you need to find four McGuffins to beat the evil fire guy.

Not really worth playing at all.

bt6ga9V.gif

sZUUIZ6.gif

OQkkRYx.gif

lalCIco.gif

cmmWr8A.gif

RxYmwrx.gif

Rj7G3ld.gif

aqkOB2n.gif

YRBEKcq.gif

FhdJO1G.gif

MGLS9H5.gif

DbU1VPL.gif

cCtBxgj.gif

ieUdeex.gif

LbfvVVr.gif

tYbke9V.gif

5ZVvuKK.gif

npmEcMr.gif

aYhBPgn.gif

JfOzEtP.gif

1MFLQFq.gif

BS4kEjs.gif

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Played Seiya Monogatari: Anearth Fantasy Stories for PC Engine CD (1995).

465911-seiya-monogatari-anearth-fantasy-stories-turbografx-cd-manual.jpg

This is likely the best rpg for PC Engine. It was supposed to be the first part of a trilogy. Took around 30 hours to finish.

A mysterious young woman with a baby was attacked during the Holy Night. She managed to escape, but collapsed and died in front of the church in the city of Yalem. But the baby survived, grew up, and eventually became a hero on a quest to avenge his mother's murderers and save the world.

Seiya Monogatari: Anearth Fantasy Stories differs from most other role-playing games in several important aspects. The player creates the main character in a unique way: when the baby lies on the snow outside of the church, several people pass by. The player can choose to press the action button, making the baby cry and attracting the attention of these people. Depending on the timing of this "baby action", the hero will be adopted by different people, which make him belong to a different character class (fighter, thief, mage, or monk), and also lead to four entirely different prologues (once the hero turns fifteen, the four stories eventually merge into one).

Instead of random battles - or even regular battles with wandering enemies - the game has pre-set battles, which occur much less frequently than in traditional Japanese RPGs. Winning the battles depends less on leveling-up and more on the actual tactics used during the battle. There are no levels in the game; instead, the characters gain better statistics depending on their actions during battles (e.g., using magic will increase magic power, etc.). The battles are turn-based and are viewed from a side-scrolling perspective. The game focuses on exploration, having large and complex locations as well as plenty of items of different categories that can be found if the player explores the game world properly.

Initially you can only make money by finding gems and selling them off. Stats are slow to increase since battles are so few, but eventually you get to increase them by brewing alchemy potions. You can find some recipes by exploring and reading the right books.

For the majority of the game you don’t really need high stats except maybe to beat the final bosses. Stats are max at 32 anyway so the game never wastes your time.

To cast magic, you need magic stones called “holix”. Fastest way to get holix is donating to the Church. Holix can also be used to increase stats at a glacial pace. It’s recommended to find all 14 permanent holix that aren’t used up when casting magic.

Also p. sure there are no other games where one of the party members is 60+ obaasan. Actually you get a different party member depending on origin but the other party members will still occasionally stop by. I played as thief but I feel the game was meant to be played as monk. Maybe replay the Saturn version to see what the differences are.

EenJFQO.gif

iGf03hX.gif

fbzswLM.gif

boq6Ac9.gif

OtGwKp8.gif

cvFxkkn.gif

I7m1caq.gif

Q1ut11n.gif

kNCpTtN.gif

Ei7FX4z.gif

2XaYQsH.gif

Top7aZG.gif

GptJuZ6.gif

bUHdusP.gif

k2B7EY4.gif

spByaGZ.gif

ofRPKNi.gif

aXRVLM5.gif

2h8GQJL.gif

uU2turx.gif

Cyzb3D7.gif

xLjbYtt.gif

itTwJ1t.gif

dlMIaSq.gif

MEMFf1S.gif

FWEkR00.gif

7WDfwi7.gif

GWpIj0T.gif

DxPVeKg.gif

7dgYsPg.gif

KSKhhj1.gif

j9G8ODu.gif

8JsoKKl.gif

l2nqNGW.gif

QJ3HSHg.gif

kFaXTnm.gif

zPLrGCB.gif

2m5rFYd.gif

MygfnLx.gif

WJZ5vRa.gif

25dk43q.gif

YnvboSs.gif

aqJuet7.gif

WGSr2P9.gif

ZwBmrn6.gif

YkSp8vk.gif

nj3uD6z.gif

Jf9XYcK.gif

ZSu1DQZ.gif

b96hQTC.gif

UUHjmwn.gif

F60GJ7e.gif

Z7SZ2e7.gif

4uItjBc.gif

KNkY9KP.gif

7NAioN0.gif

17sSXQI.gif

nZOBDpn.gif

8rvsMoC.gif

KbYuT5t.gif

D0vM04u.gif

pFeqVZG.gif

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Played Shinsengumi Bakumatsu Genshikou by Wolf Team (1992).

4VwG40V.gif

“Bakumatsu” refers to the era that put a close to the Edo period and ushered in the Meiji Restoration. “Shinsengumi” were pro-Shogunate elite police force.

The game is about a high school girl called Okita Misao who during a school trip to Kyoto visits a shrine where she touches the sword of Okita Souji (one of the most celebrated swordsmen in Wapanese history). Misao and Souji have the same surname but it’s never made clear they’re related.

Anyway when Misao touches the sword she is seemingly warped back in time, straight to Souji’s deathbed (he died from tuberculosis at the age of 26). Souji grants his sword to Misao and Misao takes Souji’s place in the Shinsengumi. The game explains this away by having Misao and Souji look exactly alike… apparently Souji was androgynous.

It is shown in the game intro that Misao is in kendo club so in fact has some martial knowledge but in fact Souji’s sword acts like Elric’s Stormbringer of a sort acting on its own taking down assailants when she’s in trouble. Funnily enough she personally takes down Sakamoto Ryouma.

So Misao teams up with other greats such as Kondou Usami and Hijikata Toshizo but also gets to know the lesser known members of Shinsengumi p. well. They’re all bros.

It is an interesting time piece as Misao gets to witness some momentous events first hand. In the end she even ends up at Ezo Republic where Hijikata meets his end.

Normally I loathe “lel it was all a dream xDD” endings but here it works. The game turned out as gud as expected.

There’s animu called Bakumatsu Kikansetsu Irohanihoheto where both Okita Souji and Hijikata Toshizo are bros too but it’s overall a mixed bag.

2bqZMSr.gif

3GgkUDc.gif

pIMuWTu.gif

NZUEmnK.gif

kt12M1D.gif

uTrB0X5.gif

GnMCvAD.gif

Zuw8ChL.gif

ADTkMvX.gif

rhb7twS.gif

353AKA7.gif

ZP4kcrH.gif

ePYK2SI.gif

hWbmJfR.gif

HrMYjGO.gif

IcMkZ3J.gif

sFyoiwg.gif

ZZHFMxn.gif

xy7qdG4.gif

dOZTkh5.gif

N0DTTsc.gif

WI8xh7o.gif

343VGg1.gif

1J9Avc8.gif

FsZ15wI.gif

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
It's usually due to corrupt/missing user/system disk.

But some games for some reason didn't work in Neko project and only in T98 Next (Alshark and Chilam Balam most notably).

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
That's Max (in the background) and Dark Sol from Shining force surely? And Sir Astral without his hat in the top right hand corner?
No, but the art was done by the Shining Force 1 artist, Yoshitaka Tamaki. That character is identical to Brian from FEDA: Emblem of Justice.

VNyq0xC.jpg

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Played Phobos by Himeyasoft (1992).

This is another cyberpunkish detective adventure game. The game tricks you right in the beginning as it introduces an interplanetary war between Mars and Earth yet the entire game takes place in future Tokyo xDD

The main character (Ryouichi) is a former soldier who fought in the war who is tasked by his former colonel to find a former war buddy who stole some secret and went awol.

The game’s p. decent as there is some actual detective work to be had: talking to people, gathering clues to unlock new areas. Similar to Eve Burst Error.

Ryouichi has a female android assistant (Leela) and throughout the game there’s a lot of hilarious banter between them. Ryouichi is the typical brash PC98 male protagonist thinking with his dink while Reera is the voice of reason and saves his ass many times.

The game also utilizes a plot device I particularly like: former waifu turning out to be (anti-)villain.

There are some twists and turns but in the end the story ends a bit too ham-fistedly quickly.

8T7vt7Y.gif

7M8BsrH.gif

Iu56yJM.gif

abj6jTD.gif

48pNDTR.gif

frtJWzH.gif

ceBYOst.gif

lRtGQUO.gif

wxSyH15.gif

yP5d0Fp.gif

gCL0778.gif

Op1wP1f.gif

Mn9R9b9.gif

7VSCbho.gif

JeOMld4.gif

P8xCsTC.gif

FYOBxAm.gif

Oc3nrr2.gif

ORwPLsA.gif

aGwAE0N.gif

i8yO2v2.gif

6bkLCgG.gif

TFfqPfz.gif

pb96VlF.gif

vyMjrWc.gif

ek8LjlF.gif

8gWuIo3.gif

LX8bsgd.gif

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Played Sword World PC for PC98 (1992).

Sword World is a Wapanese D&D knock-off, setting is the continent Alecrast to the north of Lodoss island (the animu Rune Soldier takes place on this continent). The world is called Forcelia. 500 years in the past the world had a Netheril-like highly advanced civilization that fell. Many of the game dungeons are remains of this previous civilization (an important place is the ruin of a once floating city).

9kRSmD0.png

You create your own character (complete with rolling attributes) and gather a party of adventurers.

You go through several “scenarios”, aka sidequests, like dealing with undead/necromancer, finding missing person, taking care of drug dealers, work for thieves’ guild, etc. There’s a big variety in these scenarios, even entire questlines. There are at least 50 scenarios in total. In p. much every town you visit there’s something interesting to do or something interesting happens.

The game does have an overarching story interspersed between different scenarios, it deals with cultists trying to make ancient evil sea god (a giant ray) return. Indeed, the game unfortunately ends after the final of these quests (I didn’t get to do every scenario in the game).

Party members actually comment a lot, give advice, even crack jokes. You definitely grow to like them.

There are no random encounters and experience/gold are only acquired upon finishing a job. It’s a very low level campaign as you can only go up to level 5 in a single class. Then again you do need to multiclass as every class is needed: you need a shaman for at least one sidequest and a sage is needed to decipher ancient languages in dungeons or give information about rarer monsters.

Since it’s “Sword” World magic is p. low-key. Sorcerer spells go up to level 5, divine spells up to level 4. Plus to use certain spells like “summon skeleton warrior” like in the Lodoss animu you need dragon fang item, very rare and expensive.

Leveling up doesn’t automatically raise HP/MP, you need to either buy expensive items from temples or spend experience points separately. Then again it seems that in this tabletop system having more than 20 HP/MP is already an awful lot. And with good attributes/equipment you avoid a lot of damage.

I think the Lodoss games on PC98 with full party creation that I didn’t get to work are similar, i.e. various sidequests with hidden overarching story (or with the animu story as a backdrop).

One of the highlights of the game is probably a dungeon crawl in a dragon temple, with a layout shaped as a dragon. Or a run-off-the-mill monster hunt leading to an ancient laboratory… and a scroll in a hidden room leading to a yuge optional dungeon leading to Excalibur.

Also during an early thieves guild quest the party meets a unique character called Nightshade, it's nice bumping into her again several times after (even at the very end).

P. great game.

oI2D5Dz.gif

RL6FfHc.gif

NDtYsKP.gif

o67bgkx.gif

pX9ttTN.gif

UzZlIOL.gif

12ecWUQ.gif

IaVxwIB.gif

5YWpoyn.gif

dUcKYFO.gif

UtezwYh.gif

Gl6dxKt.gif

yF0GQXQ.gif

x52lnkg.gif

4jScXHk.gif

7pMd0dA.gif

Ykv9OrD.gif

Qf5xGDS.gif

2EIxdxH.gif

vKbXDwM.gif

1PuNjmk.gif

TiOQd50.gif

3A1uiwG.png

mXr9yVK.gif

SumhMdn.gif

bGe0xQy.gif

q0Zcv6T.gif

TU3jcNg.gif

ZzcNcd6.gif

JudjgEx.gif

qvvcOkG.gif

Fn1EUSr.gif

eia3dcg.gif

4lt2nwP.gif

jj4fByF.gif

jRMAIDo.gif

sxbGrjJ.gif

o9FHzGC.gif

5pp8Ao9.gif

c4Fm9jV.gif

dgorcP9.gif

0GM8HsR.gif

Bb1rJiw.gif

vYQLcVy.gif

ydm336X.gif

Fmvxojg.gif

qL9XD7Q.gif

IoDXzPx.gif

PQnrIyx.gif

8Ky2nKL.gif

o02WbuT.gif

lvPl3OT.gif

igQEDOZ.gif

AWvniYr.gif

0FrQexH.gif

6twpBi2.gif

OtL3A87.gif

2nL80UN.gif

pYOyzgb.gif

tXIScRN.gif

fNKWGlI.gif

j7rWx91.gif

21nVtvp.gif

BF5ThwZ.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom