Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Old/obscure/underrated JRPGs

shywn

Savant
Hilarious emulation bug in Neko Project when finally I find another rpg game to play.
YE9M6Ov.png

Your GDC clock is set to 2,5 MHz, right?

I got graphics errors exactly like that if it's set to 5 MHz (the default in NP.)

Metronome

Learned
Tao for NES. The gameplay is pretty basic, but it has a pretty unique setting and music.
The only obscure JRPG I know about. I could never beat it due to the convoluted plot triggers.

o7gA3XO.png

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
I finished Maha Barata.

5v7x119.gif

5YZNGkl.gif

QMenuVM.png

This is a game based on one of the stories of Mahabharata, namely about Draupadi, the main character of the game (though main character changes in the final part of the game), and five princes (of course since this is a Wapanese game, two are androgynous; one of them even turns into wombyn).

I know little about Hinduism so this was interesting for me to play. You meet many Vedic deities.

Combat frequency is (very) high but it is not really a grindy game at all. You can and should run away as much as possible especially inside dungeons (actually very similar to Burai Gekan). You only need to be able to defeat the bosses (who are related to the story and usually weaker than many random encounters) to progress which can be done with some tactics (this is one of those rare games where spells like silence/paralyze/confuse etc. are useful). Dungeons are decently labyrinthine.

All the redundant combat especially in final dungeon made it kind of a chore to finish. You can never fail to run away but it’s still annoying pushing the same two buttons every five seconds (a game like D’ark, for instance, had the brilliant option of turning off combat completely when you were tired of it).

But the final boss fight was epic; Draupadi basically killed boss (Asura) on her own after three princes got knocked out quickly, it was very fitting for her to do so since he had possessed her father.

Graphics wise it kinda looks like Early Kingdom. Music is very nice.

The game is decently long with 5 chapters.

Also Ail-Soft is still around nowadays, you can buy the game for ¥7,800.

https://www.ail-soft.com/pro_maha.htm

All their other games are run-off-the-mill eroge/VN however. Very understandable, obv. they figured that those games are the only that sell on PC in Wapan.

Fk67Q1P.gif

kNje7Tz.gif

oqgokMN.gif

2rE5YqR.gif

gx0fTd7.gif

2Pxhb6J.gif

wJnBI8o.gif

3l055o4.gif

FXocHWE.gif

fEpNwDL.gif

EjsDEQb.gif

X2UvYHr.gif

VLIO67x.gif

e7ST7F7.gif

syP4ym9.gif

xhGTfpJ.gif

KR1bP8s.gif

z2MGp5j.gif

lM7ZA3N.gif

d70GON6.gif

pwPLRrz.gif

lZQwZbm.gif

tlDzzgZ.gif

6qgCzmH.gif

XtOIfky.gif

x6q0Urn.gif

H89UEBz.gif

kUKWJSJ.gif

Nc6Jann.gif

WfhZ4i7.gif

tX2zsgy.gif

X2jWzOZ.gif

aUH5K7o.gif

VwkYpOf.gif

zdIq7cc.gif

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
I finished 95% of Masho Denki La Valeur by Kogado for PC88 (1989).

It’s an old game with very simple plot (which doesn’t even start until the final 5% of the game) and gameplay but I found it to be irresistibly charming. The various dungeons/mazes are fun to traverse and exploration is encouraged as it’s the only way to learn magic spells.

It also has some nice music and enemy design.

To access the final dungeon you need to receive some item from a witch but my character got zapped to death upon receiving the item each time (it’s completely different in PC Engine version). I suspect it’s some kind of copy protection, actually some time before that a random dude had appeared out of nowhere and permanently turned the main character into a maggot but I managed to bypass that somehow.

My recommendation is to play the PC Engine version instead.

SXCRmDq.png

NpNtojk.png

IlG2tD2.png

nzrrsQs.png

NKOvKbB.png

ao3cnIV.png

rhIPhW1.png

SlRbohq.png

4qHuU3O.png

26CQclb.png

UcB1jcU.png

qtPfyYM.png

xAGllhf.png

z74uXPo.png

PNL52b1.png

2b7xe7S.png

O9Qh0pt.png

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Played Days in Duel by Swat (1994).

It’s a p. fun Shining Force clone (speaking of Sega, one final boss is reminiscent of Dark Force from Phantasy Star). Since it’s a PC98 game occasionally you are presented with a pic of a nekkid gurl.

The game consists of two stories, in story 1 the main character is middle-aged with a daughter, story 2 is about the main character’s exploits in his youth. Story 2 is way superior to 1.

Three of the characters in the game are from another Swat game called 桃源境 Harlem Fantasy, a silly adventure game/walking simulator with card combat.

nda7tjs.jpg

1rk2Y8I.jpg

SGAnymC.jpg

PVzzbwh.jpg

RqGmOvR.jpg

q7Pngg3.jpg

F3YuR3Z.jpg

aUuKyYz.jpg

CXyyonx.jpg

I4jexa9.jpg

S5bDV45.jpg

CtWQjBn.jpg

eeyPoQ4.jpg

TT04u2u.jpg

ke62Bpk.jpg

Yf1Jer8.jpg

O8anXBs.jpg

A6Eml8V.jpg

sgq0zmi.jpg

OZG0eDz.jpg

ByukrrY.jpg

ez8brPb.jpg

yaddDSJ.jpg

PFiEpS9.jpg

2TZUq6e.jpg

h9PykTL.jpg

1RXi0Xx.jpg

KrQHfwS.jpg

d2GtrA8.jpg

lvSE0dZ.jpg

56ts3kg.jpg

FvK3Pe2.jpg

qTV27vg.jpg

gMOn4zk.jpg

kTL8r6t.jpg

4MaMf9T.jpg

4HQ4nrR.jpg

kAuvfF0.jpg

LWVtUug.jpg

aCHM06r.jpg

pq7FlDb.jpg

3zFBf2G.jpg

Agn1vry.jpg

1u7nMIK.jpg

XPhoRK6.jpg

p4A5BKr.jpg

YX5yhwJ.jpg

BR9notW.jpg

nVMNtUg.jpg

jnskaui.jpg

hAqc7Ln.jpg

Do3Z326.jpg

nJwIsIZ.jpg

UJG9ecr.jpg

9lGRIR4.jpg

H2iQGx6.jpg

2UKJpDp.jpg

aGHyk70.jpg

Thorakitai

Learned
Brigandine: The Legend of Forsena and it's updated release: Brigandine: Grand Edition.

It's basically what happens if you fuse Fire Emblem, Advance Wars and Ogre Battle into one game. You basically choose one of the 6 kingdoms in the continent of Forsena and you have to conquer the rest.

Like Fire Emblem, you have a total of 40+ characters (Who have their own unique portraits and their own biographies) of different classes that can promote into stronger classes or reclass into another.

Like Advance Wars, you have to recruit many units of vastly different roles and functions.

Like Ogre Battle, you'll have to set up your forces, conquer castles and make sure your own castles are properly defended.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
r7ptAbY.jpg

de6xK7w.jpg

An airplane crashes. The survivors wash up on a mysterious, uncharted island. Crazed fanatics chase after them, and vile abominations lurk in the shadows. No, this is not a new season of Lost, it's Ningyo no Rakuin. The title translates as "Mark of the Mermaid," which is one reason why it caught my attention. As it turns out, the story has nothing in common with Hans Christian Andersen, but a lot to do with the works of Howard Phillips Lovecraft.

While more than a few Japanese RPGs have used elements of Lovecraftian imagery over the years, much of it cribbed from the Dungeons & Dragons Monster Manual, the writers for Ningyo no Rakuin obviously had a fondness for the source material. Between the fanatical quasi-human tribesmen, the Deep Ones rising from beneath the waves, and the grad student from Miskatonic University, there are more references to the Mythos than you can shake a shoggoth at. The plot itself is fast-paced, centering first on surviving the dangers of the island and later on rescuing the main character's girlfriend from a particularly nasty fate involving an unnamed Elder God and a transformation into a fishy abomination. Elements of the storyline play out before and after (and sometimes during) each battle, and the interludes between battle chapters include a short summary of recent events leading up to the current plot point.

The main issue to be had with this game's plot and pacing is that it's in constant forward motion. There is no backtracking, no side-questing, and no shopping (or even monetary rewards for battle). All equipment must be found in treasure chests scattered across the combat maps, and the very fact that it's possible to miss upgrades makes the game's survival aspect all the stronger. However, the straightforward plot movement means that the game is equally playable by someone with limited knowledge of Japanese. The story has its good points, but the combat does not require nearly the same reading level.

In terms of gameplay, Ningyo no Rakuin is a straight tactical RPG, and plays similarly to other PSX titles of the genre such as Vandal Hearts. Instead of having attack phases for enemies and allies, turn order is set by the relative speed of each character in play. The game's eight playable characters each have their own dedicated weapons and abilities. Skills come in two varieties. All attacks in the game, even the most basic, use MP, but as the characters gain in level more attack techniques become available, with different ranges, targeting types, and added effects. Special abilities cover a wide range of support, healing, and status-inflicting skills, and each character has his or her own specific skillset that expands as levels increase. As well, everyone has a different inherent support skill that often affects the game's attack-counterattack mechanic, and a different movement type that increases that person's effectiveness over certain terrain. While certain party members are definitely more useful than others, there is a time and a need for every single one. Unfortunately, the five member limit for each battle, combined with the set number of scenarios in the game, makes it easy to have underleveled characters.

In terms of graphics, Ningyo no Rakuin is about what one would expect of a PSX title with sprite-based characters in a 3D tactical field. A dominance of dark, moody background colors can make it difficult to see the targeting range of attacks or skills, while the camera can be rotated, that's not always enough to allow the player to see where an enemy is positioned. These two issues can lead to some difficult situations, as several characters have a minimum range to their attacks, and it's not always easy to tell if a character can hit an enemy until after they've already been moved on the map. The game does not allow take-backs once someone has been moved, so it's possible to place one of the long-range attacks too close to an enemy without realizing it.

There are decent-looking splash pages at appropriate points in the story, and these pictures often capture the feel of the Lovecraftian horror elements very well. The game's musical score is not especially broad, but its handful of themes and combat music again fit the game's core horror theme quite well. Not a one of these tunes could be described as upbeat or peppy, but some manage a decent level of creepiness, especially in combination with the level designs.

Typically, there are three possible goals in combat — kill the target, kill everything, or survive. Battles featuring that last one tend to be the nastiest, in spite of sounding fairly simple. While survival usually entails getting as many people as possible to a specific point on the map, the game likes to throw curve balls at the player. Survival levels have at least one respawning enemy type, and killing one enemy may cause another to pop up behind the party's current position. Often, these levels will also have special events that pop up at the worst possible time. One example is a level where everyone must cross a bridge. Halfway across, the main character loses his balance and falls off. He lies stunned in the water for several rounds, but if anyone tries to go back across the bridge, that triggers the appearance of enemy reinforcements. Getting through one of these levels takes a good deal of trial and error. Sometimes the only thing going in the player's favor is the ability for characters to stand in place for a turn and recover health at no cost.

Ningyo no Rakuin stands out in the crowded field of PSX role-playing titles because of its setting more than anything else. Beneath the veneer of Western horror lies a fairly typical tactical experience — though not without its fair share of challenge. It's a pity this game never left Japan, as it probably would have been well received by US gamers circa 2000.
Shame rom sites are ded

flyingjohn

Arcane
Damn you abnaxus!Every single time i am thinking of starting any western game you post some interesting jap game.

BWAHAHAH Found it bitches.

Here is a picture of running it in a emu:

NINGYO-NO-RAKUIN-200324-190548.png

Anybody who wants a link can PM me.

Last edited:

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Played the original Startling Odyssey for PC Engine (1993).

Already played the remake on Playstation Startling Odyssey: Blue Evolution which was indeed a good game, but it suffers from some really ugly pseudo-3D during battles and went full animu with character design and cutscenes. Guess I initially got some issues with PC Engine emulation.

The original has much better character/boss design and classy 90s feel cutscenes. Combat and challenge wise it’s very much like Phantasy Star 1/2.

It was interesting to see how faithful the remake was. For one, the doggie doesn’t get vaporized by the bad guy in the beginning but the child still does, you meet Sophia (and other party members) under different circumstances and the Princess is actually a virtuous girl rather than a snotty sloot (but she plays only a minor role in the original).

I recommend to play this before the remake. Or better just skip the remake.

PwFhXIr.jpg

FqnC6eP.jpg

bEQ6Eu3.jpg

X60S30n.jpg

l6sNUr8.jpg

yeYvvyq.jpg

V0Ua3mK.jpg

lT7e0lZ.jpg

89pFuX8.jpg

3aS9mIC.jpg

HVhVjBF.jpg

Gok7qHY.jpg

SU067ks.jpg

CkR2t1L.jpg

KV9jP60.jpg

8BbC7B7.jpg

XWN0KWi.jpg

a016zJu.jpg

8dRot1N.jpg

04Pi4aH.jpg

QkjtqbS.jpg

kVKTLcW.jpg

iymQqNP.jpg

LA6RP2y.jpg

izht8aU.jpg

ueCUKTp.jpg

RYqPpxK.jpg

af03jvG.jpg

5RoC1SV.jpg

BLXs33F.jpg

EV8beey.jpg

AwQJpxE.jpg

HQs25jv.jpg

ttbRZok.jpg

WFNYb2Q.jpg

4I2IGt5.jpg

oceQGFS.jpg

nwhfu0W.jpg

VCNrIhl.jpg

3ef77DE.jpg

ODeDR3t.jpg

IIc8D54.jpg

wT0n8Fr.jpg

P4tefCS.jpg

ATxt3ry.jpg

HhWW4VH.jpg

QIuwNGH.jpg

Lx5sYta.jpg

NFGBgAZ.jpg

4sxVPvY.jpg

PPOH6gK.jpg

9bfrKht.jpg

jKQU77f.jpg

8S8gBZN.jpg

bwHbFMx.jpg

Iz7XM23.jpg

QICxEZ2.jpg

wTnVi8P.jpg

tPmA9cK.jpg

Zcogvvt.jpg

f8bC79Q.jpg

kRn8YgQ.jpg

d8PvMy9.jpg

NVyQ6gm.jpg

mdJ3RDx.jpg

or1pM3y.jpg

plGq14u.jpg

l3ETgcL.jpg

S6wJMln.jpg

mNa7izj.jpg

VpjdcHq.jpg

JqyRX5h.jpg

X4vWvF1.jpg

aLDA8ZK.jpg

bzpCssd.jpg

IvRLE3D.jpg

40TFZHh.jpg

KwWaeyY.jpg

hSaTyMk.jpg

M8p7KFH.jpg

sPodYFR.jpg

QdiZNfk.jpg

WjQFkyB.jpg

fhlsiWH.jpg

WbczQU2.jpg

v1CBtWs.jpg

iKticpG.jpg

dmeUjHH.jpg

Ajj2T5M.jpg

TUpTeqE.jpg

2vL7VS9.jpg

M5A8gcl.jpg

j3CUEN6.jpg

GAFPa5b.jpg

Ax8J9UQ.jpg

29V57Ap.jpg

ku1paM5.jpg

cF0V2ek.jpg

BCF1b2m.jpg

sWqIz9X.jpg

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
1) Played Queen’s Library by Cocktail Soft (1993).

It’s an action rpg consisting of five scenarios. I couldn’t get into other action rpgs (most notably Xak) but this one was p. decent overall (Yuurou Transient Sands was alright too).

Unfortunately also 90% finished, got completely stuck at the end. Not sure due to bug or due to a missing item (sometimes you need to return to previous scenario to unlock some hidden stuff). This game is so obscure that I didn’t even find a Wapanese guide.

YnwzhLf.gif

1gXFBNK.gif

SuG9fe7.gif

9pmp8Cj.gif

rWLaoJu.gif

lBSDKIF.gif

D4y0JwE.gif

1AoV3zj.gif

dZjaChe.gif

WxXehas.gif

gBsBqfF.gif

rFAHUBd.gif

YfQdpM5.gif

BmBrsAN.gif

buYofpi.gif

oNGJlGH.gif

uA5eJZJ.gif

f9gPXFe.gif

clluQua.gif

DtC1ob3.gif

TQ8ZHka.gif

wKnBuvx.gif

hPWgGLK.gif

ZcASpW6.gif

kZ98QJM.gif

jXNBlrS.gif

aBGY7t6.gif

uliXyUW.gif

4OSObAs.gif

MY2WS9x.gif

xRYBRkN.gif

02DhyoG.gif

a8rzGEI.gif

RtzGQWw.gif

gfpkNiR.gif

PdMGy5E.gif

2) Played Power Slave by Umitsuki Seisakusho (1995).

It’s a pseudo-VN/RPG with some occasional active-time battles.

The battles are simple but fun. The story is mostly humorous. There are short but animated hentai scenes. Art and music are p. nice.

Most memorable part of the game is main character’s Kansai-ben speaking gf.

wU6paFq.png

i27uwMf.png

b5FTKl5.png

XZ0x5IC.png

OVWq5Pp.png

Y7quqOs.png

bGalGPE.png

t3TE6Bq.png

yzQF8hG.png

Pyi4Am2.png

YpklDT1.png

3UnqEoP.png

Sryopxv.png

83WpFt4.png

kX72736.png

FFPW0IJ.png

rqahLWP.png

W4JtgjO.png

NxYUQzK.png

ugp8Kzw.png

1884NW4.png

nMadwjr.png

Uty9D6r.png

SZm4pd3.png

f2fwiOK.png

sVdHtED.png

yDyAo5Z.png

Aq1p6Fp.png

FKnPkmh.png

taiyffR.png

nEDoHkV.png

jTHajqO.png

V8KYhUh.png

ZI5ADk6.png

WRQwI0D.png

QaTozkT.png

sDcHr8Q.png

CCmyW6X.png

HU4TWj1.png

unVajvh.png

3) Played Angelus: Akuma no fukuin, a really old adventure game by Enix for PC-88 (1988).

Since it’s Enix game one can expect quality. It is basically a Wapanese Gabriel Knight/Broken Sword.

There’s a blonde (British) journalist Brian Pearl (with a female assistant) investigating a weird event where people holding a particular blue stone die from a curse tied to a Gnosis cult trying to resurrect an evil god.

There was a sequel in the works at one point which got canned unfortunately. There’s only a prototype for PC Engine.

WTOGaZf.png

t37HqiY.png

H1JbT0N.png

eiGHfWZ.png

5SqKewJ.png

HROWeNV.png

QuOrQsD.png

r2s2nYM.png

nNz9gSJ.png

cpZzMQ2.png

haGjKrq.png

gHypIaY.png

zqID1XR.png

SXW8Zpg.png

9ArkWT0.png

7CVmUdp.png

4p8e1as.png

7Hq13SY.png

9rDTtdC.png

CB7xoxI.png

mLyeZJB.png

OFk5ur7.png

2a2uPPJ.png

fDgUbNX.png

USyUIZo.png

sDQMs9P.png

V3WgeuE.png

ii1mHfg.png

se0Mjhr.png

yTTDAMA.png

04IQzV9.png

3Ut252C.png

jR2YzVl.png

BEBFUrC.png

et0j5jj.png

pYJY4SO.png

The sequel was to be a direct continuation of the story. Brian is a reincarnation/avatar of the evil god’s nemesis, the dude that pops up at the end of the first game must be the evil god’s avatar.

I would’ve played it.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Are you sure you have the latest files?

z6wbp88.png

I ran the .hdi and only had to use the .hdm at the beginning of a new scenario. Once inside the new scenario I could switch back to .hdi.

infidel

StarInfidel
Developer
Strap Yourselves In
Where did you get .HDIs from? I could only find FDI/FDD in the collections I have.

infidel

StarInfidel
Developer
Strap Yourselves In
Oooh, I somehow managed to mix Cocktail Soft with Queen Soft, hehehe. I have it, yeah.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Today I reminded of an old eroge I played when I was really young called Kingdom(this one https://vndb.org/v110).

This game had a big city with a lot of NPCs and stuff to do, and the NPCs had actual schedules and would do different things and trigger different events depending on the day and time of the day(and the job you'd take, among other things). This is a really rare feature even in big boys cRPGs and the level at which it was presented here I don't think I've ever seen in any other game.

Time would actually pass in scaled real time and the npcs would roam the city in this fashion, making it feel really alive. And the amount of endings and routes you could do with the characters were insane(just take a look at this walkthrough https://forums.fuwanovel.net/topic/2586-koisuru-oukoku-kingdom/). I wish more full scale RPG devs would take note of this.

Back then I hadn't realized but today I see how impressive this game was, especially for an old obscure eroge. I remember having a brief discussion with felipepepe about this game and the schedule system, and he dismissed it as being more of the same, but now I realize not even Ultima had it presented this way and at this level(with NPCs actually doing stuff in real time ie. you could trigger an event that would make a ghost girl follow you around town, or catch a tough looking milf teacher on her way home after leaving a bar late at night and abuse of her drunken ass). It's been a long while since the last time I played it so I don't know how well it'll hold, but it's undeniable that featureswise it's a very unique game.

Last edited:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I don't remember talking about this, but the walkthrough doesn't make it look so unique... looks a lot like every Harvest Moon clone, not to mention Majora's Mask, Deadly Premonition and RPGs like Dragon's Dogma or Lightning Returns.

I mean, it's still cool, but not that unique.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Majora's Mask is a unique game, though. And the NPC schedules are actually the focus here so it has more content of this type.

I don't remember seeing anything like this in Dragon's Dogma.

Haven't played the other games so I can't really comment.

The main point though is that it's impressive for such an old obscure eroge. It's definitely the most unique "visual novel" I've played atleast.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
I can see some similarities with Stardew Valley, which I assume took inspiration from Harvest Moon(never played it myself). But I don't remember much of this aspect of that game, aside from the fact that you couldn't have sex with the NPCs :lol:

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Couldn't get this old PC88 Enix game to work

0o2cfqd.gif

OAQC0W9.gif

jRcxocB.jpg
Got Fangs by Enix (1991) to work, actually, it runs only on PC88 emulator.

The story is very simple: the main character is Remus looking for his big bro Romulus, has to collect six wolf fangs and defeat the Dark Lord.

I ended up not liking it much. Though the monster design is p. cute.

The game isn’t even listed on the Wapanese Wikipedia page of Enix so I guess nobody played it. There’s probably a story here.

Didn’t finish because I lost my saves but wouldn’t have continued anyway.

The game feels outdated for something that was released in 1991 (it pales to for instance Emerald Dragon which came out a few years before this). For instance, Illusion City and Vain Dream also came out in 1991 and those games are lightyears beyond.

2G6hqhM.gif

Pf04hXu.gif

x11BSS0.gif

BbUqpJ5.gif

tdbfUg6.gif

2PCGoFa.gif

ZTv6FKo.gif

SC0gGL7.gif

WN7V5DM.gif

GnFjfJ2.gif

ckKnCrV.gif

Pvq8d2y.gif

jl4aZ8J.gif

2yYvlgq.gif

RRpvuM9.gif

KYKX6vu.gif

QzyLeHy.gif

On the other hand Dark Half by Enix for SNES (1996) is a much better game.

97572-dark-half-snes-front-cover.jpg

The story is seemingly simple: the dark lord has awakened and must be defeated… except for the fact that you also play as the dark lord aside from the “chosen one”. And playing as dark lord is actually much more fun, the good guy is kind of a boring putz in comparison.

As you move around the map, an attribute called “soul power” decreases (if it reaches zero, it’s game over but you’re never in danger of it running out) but can be recharged by killing stuff (the dark lord also increases HP and other attributes by killing stuff and absorbing soul power). The dark lord can wipe out towns (even children are not spared) to easily gain soul power.

The good guy gets stronger from certain orbs that enemies drop and crafting armour and weapons.

The good guy has some fixed party members but can also hire mercenaries, the dark lord turns monsters into his minions (you can walk around with gargoyles, golems, dragons, ogres, which is p. neat). The dark lord also needs to capture monsters to learn new spells and upgrade learnt spells, this doesn’t get boring because combat is p. fun.

The dark lord is immune to magic but initially extremely weak to physical attacks and with very little movement so he needs meatshields (he doesn’t get the Shield spell that makes him immune to physical attacks until near the end of the game).

In every dungeon there are some environmental puzzles to solve to continue. The dark lord usually needs to use magic (in particular Dispel) in order to traverse.

The story is also p. interesting. Of course it turns out that the true evil is not the dark lord, but the human ruler who formerly was among those who had beaten the dark lord and had stolen the power from his ring, literally building an Astronomican powered by human souls to create a barrier to keep the dark lord out.

At the very end you need to choose between the dark lord and the good guy.

Beating the game with the dark lord is a piece of cake and he’s not really evil anyway. Near the end it is revealed he created the world and humans (basically if Lucifer had created the world and humanity instead of God) and he just returned to pass judgment.

Beating it with the lame good guy is more challenging and probably what was intended but how many games are there where the “bad” guy wins?

This is a great game.

(Dark Kingdom by Square on SNES has a similar theme but in that game you’re just a minion of evil. Unfortunately that game looks garbage.)

ORAVQpI.gif

HHn3JGV.gif

8rZVbHE.gif

YPB9bfi.gif

1jyURxd.gif

TSuSjAC.gif

C0k3n56.gif

7NrZplc.gif

CKFeeMn.gif

xgA3fQw.gif

2hPKMAh.gif

UaDFccf.gif

X447cZl.gif

vVnmxdP.gif

jsw7yFD.gif

iqBQM3L.gif

CSKZtpw.gif

1brSi9T.gif

5SCQW4a.gif

C58E1LI.gif

JALZooi.gif

Bj5WTZl.gif

M3cFddY.gif

uX536A4.gif

DrOg6pn.gif

KdKTl4M.gif

0bM9tMf.gif

njluQIp.gif

b8EzLeL.gif

FWZ0Csv.gif

RnGrg33.gif

yNFdXxD.gif

Luue72z.gif

JMtJhNJ.gif

PgUABKd.gif

gJLMEEU.gif

jnLpzK3.gif

Wkxfki1.gif

zR2l0DE.gif

FXAZQP2.gif

XqCdORU.gif

f7F6wLb.gif

5IL3l8t.gif

e2io8nb.gif

vr4sS3m.gif

dPv0aWw.gif

nqSU2Af.gif

TXBW2pD.gif

pXY08oW.gif

imxn41H.gif

Something entirely different is Genji by Hot-B (1988).

It’s a a detective adventure about the investigation of a supernatural murder of a female relative of the emperor in the Heian period. This game caught my attention because nearly all Wapanese games with historical setting are strategy games taking place in Sengoku era and a few games set in Bakumatsu period like Way of the Samurai.

The detective, Genji, is himself the younger brother of the emperor.

So you’d think this would be a game mixing the supernatural with some court intrigue in an seldom touched upon historical setting, and just when you think the case is solved and the game is p. much over the murderer turns out to be a psychotic time traveler trying to change history.

It's a shame the devs didn't really take this seriously.

Genji teams up with a female timecop, visiting Tang dynasty China in the process (the case is related to one of the Four Beauties of China, Yang Guifei).

Of course there’s also some debauchery and tentacle rape mixed in. Genji is a lecherous playboy and can get down to business with almost every lady in the game.

It’s a short but memorable adventure.

NLaYzGS.gif

tjtNTEh.gif

kZtc5I4.gif

qxyrocA.gif

ulVDTzv.gif

7LRat8o.gif

H99xltD.gif

2LIiLpA.gif

pmcFh8o.gif

b4cuiSg.gif

oRwXWrg.gif

30wUZGX.gif

12wwRgM.gif

KyZl25J.gif

rbTKVpA.gif

xtWJsPD.gif

ypqFsg6.gif

qv8dnim.gif

NnAHd73.gif

U9Z1U7z.gif

UUo6mEz.gif

NsB7ZKM.gif

HkWcSEp.gif

6mWAVjj.gif

S6d64B8.gif

TQ5Ozyx.gif

JoktwKk.gif

ZV8Gyd9.gif

jXElOsm.gif

80YF60X.gif

XRHh0Jr.gif

PcYWtcE.gif

Bf9rmB2.gif

Kqh1Ktb.gif

Wsl4y4i.gif

WwEzIEu.gif

JpYmfAB.gif

lightbane

Arcane
The story is seemingly simple: the dark lord has awakened and must be defeated… except for the fact that you also play as the dark lord aside from the “chosen one”. And playing as dark lord is actually much more fun, the good guy is kind of a boring putz in comparison.

Hey, that game! I plan to play it at some point.

The dark lord can wipe out towns (even children are not spared) to easily gain soul power.

Really? In one gameplay video I watched the dark lord didn't do that, or the player didn't dare to do so.

Beating the game with the dark lord is a piece of cake and he’s not really evil anyway. Near the end it is revealed he created the world and humans (basically if Lucifer had created the world and humanity instead of God) and he just returned to pass judgment.

Lol? So killing even a barkeeper is "passing judgement"? That sounds like getting away with his actions for reasons.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
If you have the dark lord kill every civilian, the good guy can afterwards harvest an item called "light of hope" by putting each corpse to rest. The number of these items also affects the ending. You can choose not to kill civilians but then I think you won't have enough at the end and the dark lord doesn't turn into an angel.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom