Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

On the shoulders of giants: a new multiple choices LP!

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I'd personally like to start with the founding of the first town/city. Something like the founding of Rome. Would also prefer a completely custom tribe/civilisation, one we haven't encountered before.

Clotstein

Augur
My main concern with the time jump is that if it is too big, we may miss the 'discovery' of magic, it may already be developed if we jump too far ahead. That, or replaced by steamworks :P

I really really want to forge an empire based on magical wisdom and superiority.

Collage

Educated
I'd personally like to start with the founding of the first town/city. Something like the founding of Rome. Would also prefer a completely custom tribe/civilisation, one we haven't encountered before.

I'll second this, even if it's pre-bronze-age.

Curufinwe

Learned

That's a given. I'm not going to give you someone you've met, don't worry.

Regarding the time jump, I'm thinking bronze/iron age. Not suddenly going medieval on you, don't worry.
I already put down a list of choices, I'll write the update later today (since almost everyone went with the 1 choice).

Monty

Arcane
Perhaps there will be a folk-memory (or religion) based on the myth of the misguided council of elders who chose incineration over submission!

Curufinwe

Learned
Yes yes, the real update will come up as soon as I finish writing it. I just couldn't resist the temptation to do something silly :M

Curufinwe

Learned
It was a dream. He knew it was a dream, but it was the most vivid one he ever had. He was standing on a tall mountain, surrounded by cold, white silence. Nothing moved, nothing could be heard. He could only see.
Far to the east, a great volcano was erupting, sending pillars of black smoke to the sky. Even from here, he could somehow see small figures laboring on its slopes, mining something. Building something.
FLASH.
A tribe of fierce horseriders, using their superb riding skills, hunting down their enemies, growing stronger with each new battle.
FLASH.
A peaceful town, on the shores of a great, limitless sea. Fishing nets were cast, grabbing a bounty from the water, keeping the small nation alive.
FLASH.
A great, dark cave, lit only by the luminescence of strange plants. Pale men, laboring tirelessly under a black sky, their forges the only bright spots in an otherwise endless ocean of darkness.
FLASH.
A sunny, small island. A town overshadowed by its port, great boats sailing back and forth, carrying trade to and from foreign lands, giving riches to a people without any resource to live on.
FLASH.
A fertile farmland, men toiling under a warm, bountiful sun. Yet their worried gazes were always drawn to the north, to the mountains rising in a dark line all across the horizon.
FLASH.
Cold, white silence. A voice was whispering in his ear. He wanted to turn, but he couldn't. The voice was saying something, something important, but he couldn't understand. He tried to, desperately, but he couldn't understand.
Flash.
The man woke with a gasp. He rose from his bed, muttering: "I need to ease down with the beer. That was weird."
He stretched, looked around his home, then dressed. It would be a busy day. He left his home, emerging into the sun and looking around a familiar sight:

A. The endless grasslands. The man turned right, approached his horse and mounted. It would be a long day of herding, the tribe's buffalos needed to be tended to, those great beasts that were the life of the tribe.
B. The great sea. The town around him was still sleeping, but he had to go and fish. Lunch wouldn't put itself on the table!
C. Darkness, and a pale green glow. He shielded his eyes from the light of a nearby torch, grabbed his glowing lichen lantern and made his way to the forge. There were weapons to be made.
D. Palms, grass and bright sun. He was already late, he was to embark almost an hour ago. He ran through the muddy streets, rushing to port. He hoped the shipmaster hadn't left him on dry land, he needed the pay from this trade, his wife was expecting.
E. The rich smell of black earth. His farm needed tending to. As usual, his gaze was drawn north. He hoped this would be a good year. The flying beasts hadn't been seen for a while, but they would be back. They always came back.

Alright, these 5 are the options. Don't mind the 'man', it's just a literary device. You'll take command of the tribe/town/nation that grabs your fancy the most in this list. Vote on!

Vernydar

Learned
I am rather undecided here. Most options seem quite interesting.
A) is in my opinion the most boring. Tend to herds, raid, kill. Uh, nothing much else. Kind of... monotonous.
B) I find rather interesting. Small nation on the great sea. Good opportunities for trade, or maybe if we switch to a more aggressive view, for becoming a strong maritime nation. Quite varied.
C) is... exotic. Humans living underground, obviously master forgers. Think of dwarves but human. Kinda interesting.
D) screams to me of yarr pirates somewhere down the line. Not one of my preferences to be honest. But some good opportunities.
E) would be boring farmers.. if it wasn't for the mountain range with the flying beasts. Dragon cavalry, here we come! Someday, maybe....

Got to think a bit on this....

Monty

Arcane
D

I like the idea of trading with foreign lands, we never got to that point in our previous struggle to survive. But I fear I may be outvoted by those craving buffalo cavalry!

Collage

Educated
C seems the most interesting, but I'm willing to go with whatever. Excited for a fresh start!

oscar

Arcane
C. Sounds quite unique. Though they all intrigue me and I wouldn't be displeased with any.

Kipeci

Arcane
E, though I doubt it will win. The others are okay except for B and D.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom