Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Online petition - Serpent in the Staglands review

Will you sign Diggfinger's SitS review petition?

• Total voters

Diggfinger

Arcane
Dear Codexians,

I need your help.

I am growing increasingly frustrated with the fact that there are no reviews out for SitS (expect that Greek one).
Whalenought_Joe mentioned that some reporters are taking their time to properly play the game before doing so, given the complexities of the game, so I suppose we can expect a few more to come.

Nevertheless, SitS deserves a broader exposure given its quality, uniqueness and scope. My hope is therefore to get Gamespot to do a proper review: this will introduce the game to a huge audience and is bound to boost sales.

So, I am organizing an online petition to put pressure on convince Gamespot gaming mags and Youtubers to do so. With your help, I hope we can get an impressive (read: 500) number of signatories which, hopefully, will incline Gamespot various opinion makers and gaming sites to give SitS the attention it deserves.

Thus, I put the questions to you:
- would you support the petition?
- Should we make a RPGCodex petition?
- Should it be targeted @Gamespot or be anonymous?

Would appreciate your input on any further gaming sites to contact/advise on how to get more people to sign un (forums you know, etc.)

I am currently finalizing the petition which I will share with you ASAP.
:outrage:EDIT: The petition is here! Follow this link to sign up! :outrage:

Thanks for your input,
Cheers,

- Digg

Last edited:

Angthoron

Arcane
I agree with ArchAngel here. Youtubers are going to be a much better group to turn to. Grab a bunch of copies, for example, and gift them to the more popular ones that you might think will play it. Even 30 seconds of Angry Joe's complaining about the game being not AAA at all will be worth more than GameSpot and Kotaku combined.

Plus as far as I understand, there's still some bugs in SitS that may actually be delaying the reviews intentionally.

Mortmal

Arcane
Gamespot is not the best target, but there's no such thing as bad advertisement. Its still a bit buggy yes ,but right now completely playable, no game breaking bug anymore as far I can see. There will be probably even more bug fixes before any gamespot reviewer put his hand on it.

Gord

Arcane
I agree that the best option would probably be to get one of the big(-ish) youtubers to play it.
Even if it's not a proper review it should give some needed exposure.

rohand

Cipher
Yes, PCGamer fits better than Gamespot IMO

Maybe Gamebanshee?

Edit: if we're saying fuck all, go RPGamer and RPGWatch
:troll:

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Count me on, but I don’t think that this will work. Here is what VD said about asking for reviews in another thread.

Basically, nobody wants to write shit that nobody wants to read (i.e. cover a game like AoD or Underrail or Serpent), unless it's a special favor. They want to write shit that people do want to read about (like Fallout 4). For the record, I'm not bitter or upset about it, that's just how things are. High profile games increase readership, readership increases ad revenues, everyone's happy. The media/publishing business is all about connections and we don't have any. So the best course of action is to hire people who do.

The discussion has some thoughtful posts.

Indies like SitS always sells by word of mouth. The fact that the game is not selling well shows that most people here don’t give a damn. They talk less and play less than they should because they don't care. They are too busy trying to figure it out why Avellone left Obsidian. They don't have time for this. PoE universally sucks, but received three reviews. Maybe we should just make a thread arguing how this game is better than PoE. That way everybody would pay attention.

To help promote the game make more positive reviews on Steam or GOG, even if they are short. Moreover, mark every single positive review as helpful and every negative review as unhelpful.

Angthoron

Arcane
Count me on, but I don’t think that this will work. Here is what VD said about asking for reviews in another thread.

Basically, nobody wants to write shit that nobody wants to read (i.e. cover a game like AoD or Underrail or Serpent), unless it's a special favor. They want to write shit that people do want to read about (like Fallout 4). For the record, I'm not bitter or upset about it, that's just how things are. High profile games increase readership, readership increases ad revenues, everyone's happy. The media/publishing business is all about connections and we don't have any. So the best course of action is to hire people who do.

The discussion has some thoughtful posts.

Indies like SitS always sells by word of mouth. The fact that the game is not selling well shows that most people here don’t give a damn. They talk less and play less than they should because they don't care. They are too busy trying to figure it out why Avellone left Obsidian. They don't have time for this. PoE universally sucks, but received three reviews. Maybe we should just make a thread arguing how this game is better than PoE. That way everybody would pay attention.

To help promote the game make more positive reviews on Steam or GOG, even if they are short. Moreover, mark every single positive review as helpful and every negative review as unhelpful.
Well, we actually do have a review lined up, but the game is quite huge, so it's taking quite a bit of time.

Mortmal

Arcane
PoE universally sucks, but received three reviews. Maybe we should just make a thread arguing how this game is better than PoE. That way everybody would pay attention.
Good idea yes,or as a newspost, a big "Why is sits better than poe" .

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
My hope is therefore to get Gamespot to do a proper review: this will introduce the game to a huge audience and is bound to boost sales.
You have to think in terms of potential audience. When was the last time you've read a GameSpot review? GameSpot has lost its crown as a premiere review site a long, long time ago and its audience aren't the kind of people who would be interested in some indie game.

So, I am organizing an online petition to put pressure on convince Gamespot to do so. With your help, I hope we can get an impressive (read: 500) number of signatories which, hopefully, will incline Gamespot, and perhaps further gaming sites to give SitS the attention it deserves
500? Impressive? I doubt they'd get out of bed for less than 50,000 hits.

When it comes to spreading awareness and boosting sales, nothing beats players' impressions. It's the most powerful message there is.

Mortmal

Arcane
Nowadays I read more small blogs like http://blog.hardcoregaming101.net/ , than gamespot, I think they should send review copies to small bloggers like this .
Maybe we should gather a list of what we really read now and send the list to joe so he gives them review copies.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Yes, PCGamer fits better than Gamespot IMO

Maybe Gamebanshee?

Edit: if we're saying fuck all, go RPGamer and RPGWatch
:troll:
They already know about the game and the designated review person is already playing the game. Khhm, he is just playing it very slow and they don't allow reviews until the game is completed.

da_rays

Augur
Well... I like to fuck.
:bro:

While i do think that SitS deserve a lot more , like insanely more coverage , its such an obscure and niche game , but i think it got great value for maybe more people than we think , I got a DA:I/Fallout3/Skyrim buddy ( it's like having my own intellectually challenged son ) , and i knew he wouldnt like the ''look'' of the game and he got some repulsivity toward very old and hardcore RPGs. So , after 3 hrs talking about videogame and drinking hard liquor, I told him::''Wanna try Baldur's gate 3, but in pixel form?'' We took around 40 minutes browsing and talking about the handbook information , then i saw the light in his eyes telling me:'' Da fuck is this? Its pixelly , play like BG , but but its all skills and spell i don't know ARRGGGHH where are my ruleeees!!!!'' We used to play D&D si the dices check was immediatly assimilated , so it was ''less scary'' This game is far from perfect , but it have loads of feature that can appeal to a lot of players.

15 minutes into my buddy game:'' SO! I can enslave the soul of this guy!! Hohohoh, he's mine!'' And just witht hat , I won another SitS player.

All this to say....this game is awfully not known to people , but got lots of good quality ( Setting , ambiance, classless system , quests are just a few )
It just need the good amount of impression from us the player! Mouth to ear is an awesome way to share, but some pool of players only live by the golden rule of their IGN , gamespot or whatever and can easily live with a review constisting of x/10 with no text . Some of us players need a bit more than this. I'll admit too tho, its a hard game to get into ( to make a solid review i mean ) so much stuff to see ( and miss ) , i've been around the game a solid 40h with 2 restarts and i wouldnt be comfortable to make a review at the moment. I'm sure a lot of the good and less good thing i've yet to say.

Just my 2 cent

Also, i love to fuck also~:kwafuckyeah:

TL;DR syndrom? : Buy the game, or buy it for someone who would care!

razvedchiki

Erudite
the greek one is actually very positive about the game.

and i was permabanned from that site:)

by the way the username of the author is volrath,dont know if is the same one as the volrath in here.

Lucky

Arcane
People can only buy your game if they know it exists, so any kind of review is better than none. That said, big review sites won't care about a tiny developer and probably won't reach the audience that would play this game, anyway. You want to aim for word of mouth and youtubers or smaller reviewers with a love for these kind of games. If they praise it and the game gains a following, then mainstream reviewers will try to follow up for nerdcredit.

Someone like Spoony, if he's still sane, would be a good fit. He seems to love this kind of game and has a rabidly loyal fan-base that they can reach through him. There's nothing to lose from sending him a review copy, because right now the biggest problem is that barely anyone has even heard of the game.
If people want to help spread the word in the meantime, then you can always share your honest impressions on other forums, give copies to friends or make a convincing Metacritic/Steam/GoG review. It all depends on how far you want to take it.

Atchodas

Augur
The fact that the game is not selling well shows that most people here don’t give a damn. They talk less and play less than they should because they don't care. They are too busy trying to figure it out why Avellone left Obsidian. They don't have time for this. PoE universally sucks, but received three reviews. Maybe we should just make a thread arguing how this game is better than PoE. That way everybody would pay attention.
This. And it is fuckin annoying .
Also i bet garbage like bard's tale another inxiles semi scam will be new hottest topic because MCA is there if tards donate another million LOL

Last edited:

Atchodas

Augur
I am sure bethesda will release something for you , dont you worry

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom