Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Onlive died today.

Will you try Onlive?

• Yes

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • No

Votes: 61 81.3%
  • KC(I am gay)

Votes: 11 14.7%

• Total voters

Achilles

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
Nothing. The whole point of the OnLive idea is to limit our freedom and treat end-user even more like a bitch.

Fair enough, it does seem that the cons massively outweigh any potential advantages.

DraQ

Arcane
Alexandros said:
So, just to spice things up, how would you guys change Onlive in order to create a decent service? Better quality, complete ownership of the game, lower prices? What would be the perfect games streaming service, something that you could actually consider using?
Completely change the concept into a demo-like rental service. Developer sponsored, if possible.

You get cheap/free/partially free, but crappy way to play a game. You benefit by being better informed, the developer doesn't need to make a demo and can combat 'trial' piracy, Onlive shaves off their profits from sponsoring/fees/ads/whatever.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
DraQ said:
Alexandros said:
So, just to spice things up, how would you guys change Onlive in order to create a decent service? Better quality, complete ownership of the game, lower prices? What would be the perfect games streaming service, something that you could actually consider using?
Completely change the concept into a demo-like rental service. Developer sponsored, if possible.

You get cheap/free/partially free, but crappy way to play a game. You benefit by being better informed, the developer doesn't need to make a demo and can combat 'trial' piracy, Onlive shaves off their profits from sponsoring/fees/ads/whatever.

This. A tiered service that offered a wide selection of games for the few customers who would actually prefer to play that way, and free demos for everyone else.

Achilles

Arcane
That sounds a lot like what Gaikai is doing. I don't really see it working though, if people have the chance to try out a game immediately and they like it, they will most probably want to buy it and keep playing. I think it would be strange to say "well we do have the ability to stream the game but we won't, it's only a demo. Go get a physical copy".

How about this: After you've demoed the game and decided that you want to buy it, you have the option to either 1- Rent the cheaper Onlive version if you don't mind the graphics and the lag or have a shitty computer (say 25$ for the 3-year access), 2- Download a digital copy if you want the full game experience (say 40$) and 3- Purchase a physical copy (50$).

Thoughts?

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
onlive
3.png

retail

Borderlands2010-06-2318-36-04-57.jpg

Capture.jpg

Dny

Educated
One of the biggest argument for onlive "I can run newer games without upgrading my peeeceee" is so full of bullshit now that we can see the actual quality and settings it's running on. Your current PC is probably going to be just as good and without the video compression artifact.

Onlive :
UNR0C.jpg

Local PC :
JT7k8.jpg

Onlive :
xNCaG.jpg

Local PC :
cy0qQ.jpg

It may run modern shaders and stuff but overall quality makes it looks much worse than games running on the Nintendo Wii.

Micmu

Magister
It's worse, because it's blurred to shit in a way that's tiresome for the eyes. "pixelated" is still better than blurred to shit.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Not like laptops will surpass desktops in gaming any time soon. And because one GPU-manufactures folds when the economy in general is tanking is not really proof of anything since their market is hyper-competitive in the first place.

Or did anyone think that GPU-market was crashing when 3Dfx died?

Dny

Educated
Actually laptop GPU can be good enough.. compared to onlive. I regularly play games on my MBP and its 9400m is a low end, motherboard-integrated GPU and it still runs Oblivion and Fallout 3 with more details than Onlive could hope for in all its blurry glory and video compression artifacts. I'm pretty sure a low end gaming laptop could obliterate what you get out of Onlive, laptop with real GPU are cheap nowadays I see no reason to buy anything that has the shitty intel crap anymore.

Onlive is like playing a game through jewtube. Considering the fact that you have to BUY games that you don't own and will lose access to if you don't ALSO pay the monthly subscription that pretty much makes it the ideal platform for a name like jewtube.

GarfunkeL said:
Not like laptops will surpass desktops in gaming any time soon.
Define gaming. Consoles have surpassed pc by volume already. Laptops can run WoW.
"Nobody" gives a shit about 2048*..., 8 AA, 16 AF...

And because one GPU-manufactures folds when the economy in general is tanking is not really proof of anything since their market is hyper-competitive in the first place.
Or did anyone think that GPU-market was crashing when 3Dfx died?

BFG is not a manufacturer per se. They used to sell high end Nvidia gpus. 3Dfx was a gpu manufacturer.
Just setting things straight.

Silellak

Cipher
I got my OnLive invitation, but I'm on a WiFi connection so I guess I won't be testing it and posting my impressions any time soon.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
If your laptop has enough power to run high-quality AAA games in 1440x900 or similar, its going to overheat itself pretty quickly. Furthermore its much, much more difficult to replace parts inside a laptop.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
GarfunkeL said:
If your laptop has enough power to run high-quality AAA games in 1440x900 or similar, its going to overheat itself pretty quickly. Furthermore its much, much more difficult to replace parts inside a laptop.
Yeah.

I'd also like to play with a bigger monitor on a dedicated machine, and a laptop that plays well with 1440x900 doesn't necessarily play well at 1680x1050 or more. Especially since the purpose of a laptop is mobility, and the small sub-6 lb laptops are good enough for only medium quality at 1440x900.

Also, the overheating plus the difficulty of replacing parts is related, in that my laptop was overheating and I had to take apart the entire system, including the system board, to get to cleaning out the fan. Retarded. I'm sure there are laptops easier to mess with though.

The new Fusion chip sounds interesting.

Cassidy

Arcane
I have a nightmare scenario for the Codex:

What if, like what happened regarding console ports, new games are handicapped to fit with the inevitable technical limitations of this system and open a new era of decline?

Cassidy

Arcane
This sounds as naive as thinking that, if network-based "rental" services ever become popular, turn-based would have a comeback in strategy games and CRPGs because lag wouldn't matter as much to it as it would to real-time games.

Cassidy said:
I have a nightmare scenario for the Codex:

What if, like what happened regarding console ports, new games are handicapped to fit with the inevitable technical limitations of this system and open a new era of decline?

What would be the limitations that you could cater to? The only thing I could think of would be to add laggy movement and autoaim, to allow Onlive players to not suck ass. Unless you are assuming that we will start regressing in graphics since Onlive doesn't support more then shit quality at shit resolution.

Xi

Arcane
Silellak said:
I got my OnLive invitation, but I'm on a WiFi connection so I guess I won't be testing it and posting my impressions any time soon.

You can use wifi by bridging your connection in windows. This way onlive doesn't know the difference. The problem is that wifi will add like 50+ ms latency and is very unstable for this type of service. You can try it though and report back.

Silellak

Cipher
Xi said:
Silellak said:

You can use wifi by bridging your connection in windows. This way onlive doesn't know the difference. The problem is that wifi will add like 50+ ms latency and is very unstable for this type of service. You can try it though and report back.
That actually worked. I tried a couple of action-heavy games (Borderlands and Just Cause 2) and honestly...it wasn't bad. I can't imagine it ever being my preferred method of playing a game - at least not when other methods are available - but despite the fact that it wasn't ideal conditions (since I was "illegally" using WiFi) and the service is still new, it was definitely playable. The lag was there, but it wasn't as awful as you would think, especially considering I was using WiFi. The graphics are sub-par (below even console level), as others have pointed out, but I imagine that's the sort of thing that improves with time.

All of that said, I can't see it being something I would pay $5-15 a month for on-top of the price of games, which I don't even get to own. The pricing scheme for the service as it stands is absolutely absurd, and needs to vastly improve before it'd be something I'd consider anything more than a mildly entertaining novelty. It would certainly be usable all I had was a thin-client (netbook, iPad, whatever), but that's about it. Though really, I suppose that's sort of the point.

MetalCraze

Arcane
So all those myths about superclusters went away and it's pretty obvious now they run this shit on generic windows servers stuffed with generic hardware where they were forced to turn graphics settings to minimum?

But nooo OnLive is such an innovative crap except its tech is even shittier than that of 5 years old XBox 360 and you can't beat the laws of physics in your network. Also where are those innovative OnLive modems that you can just plug in your TV and shit magically works?

Free cheese is only in the mouse trap.

Dny

Educated
Mangoose said:
Sounds good, less emphasis on graphics and more emphasis on gameplay.

What ? with the input lag, you meant emphasis on less gameplay. Actually onlive is about "less everything". Less graphix, less gameplay and "less" money in your pocket :lol:.

Suchy

Arcane
Dny said:
Mangoose said:
Sounds good, less emphasis on graphics and more emphasis on gameplay.

What ? with the input lag, you meant emphasis on less gameplay. Actually onlive is about "less everything". Less graphix, less gameplay and "less" money in your pocket :lol:.
But definitely more cutscenes. OnLive will push game publishers to include moar tasteful sex in those cutscenes. Oh, and they'll be pre-rendered, so the hardware doesn't suffer too much from the simultaneous fapping of American youth.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom