Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Onlive died today.

Will you try Onlive?

• Yes

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • No

Votes: 61 81.3%
  • KC(I am gay)

Votes: 11 14.7%

• Total voters

MetalCraze

Arcane
You can buy 4 years old PC for some $400 and it will be better than any console, let alone OnHoax.
But see - they didn't lie that OnHoax totally makes upgrading your PC redundant - because it's even more shittier than your old crap.

Xi

Arcane
lol. It just launched. I imagine that it will progress with time. They can run those games at max setting, not sure why they aren't right now. I'm assuming they want to get a better understanding of server load before amping everything up. Honestly, the setting of the games doesn't matter in terms of lag or latency, what matters is the amount of compression. This might still be a factor of network quality on the user end. Some people get good looking graphics others get more compression do to lower connection speeds. Still, it'll run from old PCs, and will scale very well as time progresses. Also, it's dirt cheap.

Edit: Just got my invitation too. :smug:

I'll do a mini-review later, but it works and looks just fine atm. That's on 6MB in Idaho.

Silellak

Cipher
Xi said:
Also, it's dirt cheap.
Except for that whole "paying full price for games you don't even get to own" thing.

It should go the Gametap route. Charge me $20-30 a month and let me play however many games I want, or at least give me tier'd plans. None of this "monthly fee + full price for a glorified rental" horseshit.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Yeah Xi salvage your bullshit now :lol:

Watching a game at lowest settings in 360p with lags and hugeass compression artifacts for $15/mo (plus paying more for games) totally beats upgrading a PC once in two-three years and watching everything fly at max and full hd
Damn you can even buy a console for some 200 bucks and it will work 10 times better

I told ya it's impossible to do what they promised with the current PC tech but you get what you pay for
Where are your OnLive "experts" now

ricolikesrice

Arcane
my last pc costed something below $ 1000 in may 2007 and i wouldnt have needed to upgrade it since (though i actually bought a new graphics card for $ 150 last year because the old one died to be fair ) and dont see any reason to upgrade it in 2011 either. crysis ran on high details in 1650x1050 even on the old card ( 8800 GTS 640) and while there was some framerate drops and i couldnt "MAX" it, the game looked great and was more than playable.

i also own a PS3 (for blueray & demon souls mostly) and crysis graphics beat the shit out of uncharted 2 or killzone 2, the supposedly"prettiest" console games thus far.

if for some reason may 2012 will finally force me to cave in and upgrade to a new pc, that would have been 60 months in which i did fine with $ 1000 hardware costs equalling 16,67 $ per month.... yeah pc gaming is definitly expensive :roll:

of course i still remember the days when you had to upgrade every 1 to 2 years and it costed a lot more ..... but that time is over and unlikely to change any time soon , nowadays you have to be really fucking retarded to call pc gaming expensive, sorry.

especially seeing the alternatives like xbox or onlive which hide their actually much higher costs (subscriptions and more expensive games) over time.

Xi

Arcane
I can activate Onlive for 1 month @ $15 buy a new game I am interested in, play it for a month, cancel the service and wait for the next game. That's super fucking cheap.

MetalCraze said:
Yeah Xi salvage your bullshit now :lol:

Watching a game at lowest settings in 360p with lags and hugeass compression artifacts for $15/mo (plus paying more for games) totally beats upgrading a PC once in two-three years and watching everything fly at max and full hd
Damn you can even buy a console for some 200 bucks and it will work 10 times better

I told ya it's impossible to do what they promised with the current PC tech but you get what you pay for
Where are your OnLive "experts" now

The games I've played ran just fine and everyone I've shown it to has been genuinely impressed. It works just fine.

You are simply delusional. They have 100,000 people using there service right now. Who knows the total amount of people who've actually signed up.

Xi

Arcane
Mangoose said:
Xi said:
lol. It just launched.
Again, how is launch going to indicate what the effects of a full server load will be?

Well, they can scale every game to max if they want, but instead they're letting people join the service to see how much capacity they need. Then when they get a good baseline of usage, they will add the needed hardware, and start scaling performance of the games/graphics of the system. They can run those games at whatever settings they want, it's just that they are starting conservatively.

Also: http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/ ... /?news=123

The OnLive Experience

The experience is better than I expected. The company tunes your connection to limit lag, and I haven’t noticed any significant game degradation. It is dependent on your network connection though, and if you have issues you’ll likely lose your connection. You won’t be playing this on a plane anytime soon, for instance.

I played a wide variety of games. They have around 20 and up at the moment, ranging from A-list titles like Batman: Arkham Asylum to independents that I hadn’t heard of. It turns out it is a great way to demo games as well, because you don’t have to download and install them, just play the demo on the service.

Installing the client takes around 2 to 3 minutes, depending on how fast your computer is. Loading the actual game takes around 15 to 20 seconds on average, so you are gaming fast. You are playing the game remotely, and they are streaming a compressed high-definition image back to you real time, so there is some slight degradation in image quality when taken against a high end gaming machine. For instance, on my nine-screen Eyefinity rig, it would only expand to about 80 percent of the overall screen area. But these are six 22-inch screens, and a massive display that I rarely can see all of anyway, so that wasn’t a problem.

If a virus scan or other process starts up on your PC, the game continues without a hiccup, and it was interesting to note that I could play in Windowed mode and not have any visible impact on anything else that was running.

You buy a game much like you would buy a movie from a streaming service. As with those services, you actually are buying the right to play the game, and you don’t get anything you can sell or physically hold. For me, the tradeoff of being able to play on any PC that had a wired connection anyplace was worth it

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Xi said:
You are simply delusional.
Dny said:
Onlive :
UNR0C.jpg

Local PC :
JT7k8.jpg

Onlive :
xNCaG.jpg

Local PC :
cy0qQ.jpg
I'm sorry Xi, but you're the delusional one here.

Xi

Arcane
It doesn't look as blurred as those screenshots show. Also, if you watch a game in play, it streams a little worse looking than if you play it.

If you want the best of the best buy an expensive gaming rig. Nothing stopping you. This is new, and like DU was saying it will take a few years(I'd say 5-10) for it to work better than what we have now and be available everywhere.

Still, after all of the excuses for why this wouldn't work, it appears to be working well.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Xi said:
Mangoose said:
Xi said:
lol. It just launched.
Again, how is launch going to indicate what the effects of a full server load will be?

Well, they can scale every game to max if they want, but instead they're letting people join the service to see how much capacity they need. Then when they get a good baseline of usage, they will add the needed hardware, and start scaling performance of the games/graphics of the system. They can run those games at whatever settings they want, it's just that they are starting conservatively.

I'm not talking about image quality. I'm talking about lag and competing for bandwidth when everyone is streaming at their max download speed.

Xi

Arcane
Mangoose said:
I'm not talking about image quality. I'm talking about lag and competing for bandwidth when everyone is streaming at their max download speed.

"It can't be done!"

Bandwidth is not a problem. If it was, none of the streaming services with 20 Million users would work.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Xi said:
Mangoose said:

"It can't be done!"

Bandwidth is not a problem. If it was, none of the streaming services with 20 Million users would work.
Except for the fact that Youtube videos take 2 minutes to stream, while a game will be streaming the ENTIRE time that a person is playing. Also, there is the addition of UPstreaming when playing a game on Onlive.

It'll be akin to everyone torrenting the game at the same time without end.

MapMan

Arcane
Tbh I don't give a shit about the service. I mean, it doesn't affect us in anyway, let the sheeple use it. The worst case scenario is that devs start porting popamole bullshit from consoles to pc/onlive. Right?..... RIGHT?

MetalCraze

Arcane
Xi said:
It works just fine.

You are simply delusional.
:lol:
Me? Are you totally sure, bro?

This shit barely runs Red Faction 3 and Borderlands on minimum, churning out 520x360 video with fugly artifacts while some $400 PC stuffed with quad-core and GF8800Ultra will eat these games on max alive at the same time - and I'm delusional?

Mangoose said:
Except for the fact that Youtube videos take 2 minutes to stream, while a game will be streaming the ENTIRE time that a person is playing. Also, there is the addition of UPstreaming when playing a game on Onlive.

It'll be akin to everyone torrenting the game at the same time without end.

Don't try to talk sense into him. If this moron still doesn't see what an absolute failure OnLive is it won't help him
They'll just milk more money of him than what a normal person would've spent on a normal 4 years old PC that runs these games perfectly

J1M

Arcane
So Onlive is super expensive. LOL

They need a netflix model or this will just not work.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Note how they openly write that you just rent your games and there is a date when the game will become unavailable in the description.

ricolikesrice

Arcane
MapMan said:
I mean, it doesn't affect us in anyway, let the sheeple use it.

5 years ago: "who cares if some morons buy horse armor, this wont stop developers from making good games and instead have them milking their customers with crappy and shitty DLC" :D

today: :(

the sad truth is morons like Xi ruin it for all of us. Onlive is a publishers wet dream, if its succesfull thanks to idiots unable to do math / buying the hype it WILL be the future of gaming.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
MapMan said:
onlive.png

(done in paint, I don't have photoshop after format c:/)
According to latest trend it should be Onturd, not Ontard.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom