Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Onlive died today.

Will you try Onlive?

• Yes

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • No

Votes: 61 81.3%
  • KC(I am gay)

Votes: 11 14.7%

• Total voters

Xi

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
I’m very excited to announce the OnLive Founding Members Program, presented by AT&T, which is a limited-time, limited availability offer of a FREE 1st-year OnLive membership, with an optional 2nd year at $4.95/month, month-to-month! It’s an awesome deal delivered on a first-come, first-served basis, subject to availability, so sign up here today.
No seriously? $60 for 2 years for using a server that costs at least 40 times more (and is capable of running only 2-3 games in parallel, that means 2-3 people per server) excluding tech support sallaries, upgrade costs, hugeass bandwidth/electricity expenses and other bills? It's such a hoax.
And what happened to OnHoax(tm) modems? Suddenly you can just plug'n'play.

Oh, look at the self-proclaimed expert. You have all the answers don't you skyway? Haha.

Angthoron said:
Why, I recall that but a few years ago the press and the masses were screaming of how the internet nodes are becoming so overloaded that they'll soon crash and we'll have no internet at all! What happened to that noise anyway?

Probably someone got troll remorse and explained to them how retarded that sounded

Shannow

Waster of Time
Xi said:
I agree with the idea that network tech is slightly behind though. Still, 20 years is a quantum leap in technology. There's so much advanced shit out there, it boggles the mind.
Yes, OnLive sure sounds like a quantum leap. Actually, it sounds exactly like a quantum leap. The smallest change that can be described with current theories/equasions...

I found it far more entertaining when you tried to refute skyway's arguments.
Answering latency, funding, etc problems with "youa dumb" is kinda weak.

Xi

Arcane
Shannow said:
Xi said:
I agree with the idea that network tech is slightly behind though. Still, 20 years is a quantum leap in technology. There's so much advanced shit out there, it boggles the mind.
Yes, OnLive sure sounds like a quantum leap. Actually, it sounds exactly like a quantum leap. The smallest change that can be described with current theories/equasions...

I found it far more entertaining when you tried to refute skyway's arguments.
Answering latency, funding, etc problems with "youa dumb" is kinda weak.

I just don't have the energy to explain it all again. Also, I do not care. Don't use the service. It does not matter. I'm just personally intrigued by it. That is all.

Still, it makes me laugh because all the major names in the industry seem to think this will work but the masses don't. Shall I believe in the masses or the experts?

Angthoron

Arcane
Will the experts pay the bills the masses should be paying? Sure, believe the experts.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
the experts won't, the game publishers will.
Xi said:
Pay less for the games. Check.

Pay a low $10 a month (cancel and renew at any time). Check.

Never upgrade your current PC every again.(Or never buy expensive hardware ever again). Check.

Demo games before you buy them. Check.
you lose the ability to use mods, edit inis for custom game or graphical settings, enable console to fix gamebreaking bugs, edit your saves or manipulate memory.
onlive is essentially the perfect service for consoletards, by consoletards... which sadly means it is rather likely to become very popular, despite essentially being a more restrictive version of ubisoft's drm that you get to pay for.

MetalCraze

Arcane
SuicideBunny said:

Publishers are there to make money, not lose them.
There's a reason why every big publisher works today with a rule: sell as many copies ASAP (e.g. make a shitty game in one year, overhype it to heavan, start making a next copy-pasted excrement, while naive hamsters buy this one en masse)
From each of those $5 per month (provided they won't just sell it for the full price right away, which won't make it any different from what we have now) they will be getting like 10 or 20 cents for the game per month from a single user. Are you kidding me?

Xi

Arcane
You pay $10 a month for the service and then you buy games. For fuck's sake. Go read about it at least. Onlive gets both a monthly fee and a part of the game sale.

This is for a segment of users who don;t want to upgrade their PC. That's it. This isn't replacing all PCs today. It's just another alternative, and for some of us, it is a cost effective approach. Maybe it isn't for you, but it is for others.

Achilles

Arcane
That doesn't seem very logical though. I mean, the cost of building or upgrading your PC is very low these days, so it isn't an issue. I can definately see the value for laptop users though, people who can't upgrade their computers and are not planning to buy a desktop.

ChristofferC

Magister
Even if OnLive would work reasonably well (hahahahahaha what a good joke) I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. It is the mother of all DRM systems.

Data4

Arcane
SuicideBunny said:
Xi said:
Pay less for the games. Check.

Pay a low $10 a month (cancel and renew at any time). Check.

Never upgrade your current PC every again.(Or never buy expensive hardware ever again). Check.

Demo games before you buy them. Check.
you lose the ability to use mods, edit inis for custom game or graphical settings, enable console to fix gamebreaking bugs, edit your saves or manipulate memory.
onlive is essentially the perfect service for consoletards, by consoletards... which sadly means it is rather likely to become very popular, despite essentially being a more restrictive version of ubisoft's drm that you get to pay for.

And this is why I will never use it. If all PC games go this way, then I'll just become a consoletard. At least then I can purchase a physical copy to play off the grid any time I want.

Unless, of course, the next generation of consoles becomes reciever boxes for this kind of shit. Which they will, I'm sure.

Fuck.

ever

Scholar
Who uses their PC for just games anyway :S

If anything it stops you from buying the latest most expensive video card but cpu and memory is still slooooow as hell when you're doing media stuff. Not to mention the huge non-volatile storage bottleneck that is finally getting lifted with SSDs.

I think even if I didn't use my PC to play games I'd be upgrading it every three years or so like I am now.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Data4 said:
indies to the rescue, i guess.

until onlive starts churning out dev kits and offering good indie deals, that is.

Data4

Arcane
SuicideBunny said:
Data4 said:

until onlive starts churning out dev kits and offering good indie deals, that is.

"With the recent announcement that the Torque Onlive SDK will be released this fall, Iron Tower Studios is proud to announce that Age of Decadance 2: Postapocalyptic Boogaloo will be available to all broadband equipped systems the following Thursday."

That's right, folks. I'm calling it right here, right now.

Dny

Educated
Xi said:
Still, it makes me laugh because all the major names in the industry seem to think this will work but the masses don't. Shall I believe in the masses or the experts?

That's because they indulge in WISHFUL THINKING. It is every developer wet dream to replace the desktop with the cloud because they'd be able to have a 100% control over the user experience, pull the plug whenever they want to and replace older, better software with new shit and make sure you won't be able to keep running unless you perpetually pay for it. It is Microsoft's and every developers nightmare when software becomes "good enough" which has been the case of Office since Office 97 for most people.
"Software as a service" "cloud" "network" has been the developer's wet dream since forever. The creator of Lisp (50 years old programming language) thought it was the future. The people who founded Sun (the company behind Java) thought it was the future and their motto used to be "The network is the computer". There used to be a time where people were working on windowing systems that were 100% fully networked. No self-respecting user would buy into that crap, only lazy sys-admins would force their corporate IT but no one in their right mind would chose to chain themselves to that crap unless they didn't have a choice. The only thing it makes better is the sysadmin's job who gets less work to do (and in the end they'll regret it when they'll get replaced by their Indian counterpart.. hahahahahaha. Subpar programming jobs have already been outsourced to India with the help of stupidproof languages like Java)

Sun is dead, the desktop is still going strong, Apple and Microsoft are doing as well as ever. Hell the iPhone proved people are ready to spend money on phone software to have a native, local running user interface instead of some shitty web app even though the smartphone is the only thing that can be described as "always on network".

Onlive is more of the same, just in a specialized, niche form.

Xi

Arcane
So much black and white thinking. This is in addition to everything else. It isn't a replacement.(Maybe it will be in 20 years though)

MetalCraze

Arcane
I wonder which major names in the industry he means. So far we had nothing but a couple of noname "experts" shitting in their blogs and Balmer's saliva.
And zero tech specs or tech specs of that server that is absolutely incapable of doing what was promised.

Dny

Educated
Xi said:
So much black and white thinking. This is in addition to everything else. It isn't a replacement.(Maybe it will be in 20 years though)

"The network is the computer" mantra is a dead horse and we are still beating it. Every five years or so a new company is beating the dead horse and making huge "revolutionary" announcement. You're probably either a newfag or have a very short-term memory if you can't see it for what it is. MUCH BIGGER COMPANIES than Onlive have tried to push IT into fully networked crap. Sun used to be the rising star but they went too near the sun and got their wings burned. They never really made a profit which is why they got acquired by Oracle, which is mainly a database company.

If it couldn't work well enough in IT to make an actual profit it will NEVER work for gaming. The costs are much, much bigger and the profits much thinner. Fuck, people are working HARD just to cut on energy consumption costs in datacenters and they're not running powerful next-gen graphix but dumb webapps querying databases.

Data4

Arcane
Xi is just experiencing classic denial, which is affecting him on two fronts. First, he totally buys into this crap and can't understand why we don't, and second, despite his psychology degree, he's completely oblivious to the psychological motives for trying to support this.

It's pride. Don't need a degree to spot that one a mile away.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Angthoron said:
Will the experts pay the bills the masses should be paying? Sure, believe the experts.
Hey, experts are awesome. I believe anything an expert tells me. It's not like those experts ever have hidden agendas that are coupled with the experts earning money if I believe them. Oh, and the financial crisis nerver happened because experts said so.

DraQ

Arcane
SuicideBunny said:
Data4 said:

If life sciences teach us anything, an empty niche doesn't stay empty.

If there is profit to be made, someone will exploit it, and the entire history of gaming teaches us that there is profit to be made on PCs - consoles and piracy notwithstanding.
If the retards drift away towards shinier, but ultimately shittier toys, all the better.

Xi

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
Xi said:

You mean in the same way the industry thought DRM would work?

Experts was a bad choice of words. I should have said "developers." That puts it into a much better light. When you have industry developers including hardware, software, and communications industry giants, it's no longer a question of whether it's possible. It's a matter of whether it will catch on and how well it will work. It works, but will the latency be too much for too many people? Hard to say, but so far it appears to be moderately good.

My plan is to activate the service(after the free year) for a month or two just to play a game. This way I don't have to upgrade hardware. That makes it super cheap. Also, I can reactivate to replay a game I'm interested in. $10 is fucking nothing. That's minimum wage in most cities or 2 drinks at a bar, or 3 gallons of fuel. Seriously, thats far less than an hour of my time. It's super fucking cheap.

Norfleet

I don't really see this as something that will catch on. Bigger players than publishers and developers stand to lose from this. Consider: If this actually could replace the desktop machine, what would happen to the companies making desktop computer parts, that can no longer sell them? I'm pretty sure these people are going to be opposed to this idea, and they have plenty of weight of their own.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom