Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Onlive died today.

Will you try Onlive?

• Yes

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • No

Votes: 61 81.3%
  • KC(I am gay)

Votes: 11 14.7%

• Total voters

MapMan

Arcane
The people who voted yes are Xi and his 3 alts. :smug:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I think I'm getting jaded with gaming in general. What would happen if every single game moved onto Onlive, even indie gems? I'd stop playing, without a second thought.

Silellak

Cipher
Xi said:
Silellak said:
Oh, they aren't supporting WiFi yet. Guess I won't be posting my impressions any time soon.

You can use Wifi, it's just that it will add latency. Doesn't mean the games won't be playable, but it's not recommended.
No, they tell you straight-up that hey block WiFi connections:
Wi-Fi:
Currently, to use OnLive, you need a wired Ethernet connection to the Internet. If you normally use Wi-Fi in your home, you'll need to connect your computer directly to the Internet with an Ethernet cable. Also, you'll need to make sure that your computer is using the wired connection as its preferred connection to the Internet, not the Wi-Fi connection. This may require you to disconnect from the wireless network you are using.

Also, something else fun, from the TOS:

Suspending Your Account

You may suspend (i.e. temporarily deactivate) your Account at any time, for any or no reason, for up to twelve (12) months by contacting OnLive Customer Service from the Support section of the OnLive website.

Followed by:

Closing Your Account

CLOSING YOUR ACCOUNT WILL RESULT IN PERMANENT LOSS OF ACCESS, CONTENT, SERVICES AND VALUE ON THE ONLIVE SERVICE. ONLIVE URGES YOU TO CONSIDER SUSPENDING YOUR ACCOUNT, PER THE “SUSPENDING YOUR ACCOUNT” SECTION ABOVE. RATHER THAN CLOSING YOUR ACCOUNT, PLEASE READ THIS “CLOSING YOUR ACCOUNT” SECTION CAREFULLY BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH CLOSURE.
That's right, motherfucker. Suspend your account for 12 months? Closed. Close your account? Say goodbye to anything you've purchased on the service.

:thumbsup:

Silellak said:
Xi said:
Silellak said:
Oh, they aren't supporting WiFi yet. Guess I won't be posting my impressions any time soon.

You can use Wifi, it's just that it will add latency. Doesn't mean the games won't be playable, but it's not recommended.
No, they tell you straight-up that hey block WiFi connections:
Wi-Fi:
Currently, to use OnLive, you need a wired Ethernet connection to the Internet. If you normally use Wi-Fi in your home, you'll need to connect your computer directly to the Internet with an Ethernet cable. Also, you'll need to make sure that your computer is using the wired connection as its preferred connection to the Internet, not the Wi-Fi connection. This may require you to disconnect from the wireless network you are using.

but then

Another interesting thing is that OnLive doesn't let you use a wifi connection, although this is supposed to be coming eventually. You must be connected with ethernet. I was a little peeved at this, so I tried a pretty simple experiment. I set up an Airport Express to join my wireless network and then ran an ethernet cord to the Airport. This added about a 4 ms latency and caused some jitter when packets were dropped, so I can see why they want you to plug in for the launch.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
DraQ said:
You are not a true man if you haven't experienced the joy of ramming your dice into unwilling mobo socket.
Especially with the Athlon XP on Gigabyte motherboard. One of the capacitors was cleverly located exactly where the heat sink would end up :rage:

I also had to saw off part of my Pentium II's heat sink so I could install a 2nd Voodoo 2 and connect it in SLI. Fun times.

Achilles

Arcane
Silellak said:
CLOSING YOUR ACCOUNT WILL RESULT IN PERMANENT LOSS OF ACCESS, CONTENT, SERVICES AND VALUE ON THE ONLIVE SERVICE. ONLIVE URGES YOU TO CONSIDER SUSPENDING YOUR ACCOUNT, PER THE “SUSPENDING YOUR ACCOUNT” SECTION ABOVE. RATHER THAN CLOSING YOUR ACCOUNT, PLEASE READ THIS “CLOSING YOUR ACCOUNT” SECTION CAREFULLY BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH CLOSURE.

Deal-breaker.

Cassidy

Arcane
Data4 said:
Xi is just experiencing classic denial, which is affecting him on two fronts. First, he totally buys into this crap and can't understand why we don't, and second, despite his psychology degree, he's completely oblivious to the psychological motives for trying to support this.

It's pride. Don't need a degree to spot that one a mile away.

Some people take way too seriously the research they have to do to get a diploma, and from my experience in College teachers who participate of research projects tend to behave like that regarding their so accurate researches and predictions that will change the world.

Silellak

Cipher
Alexandros said:
Silellak said:

Deal-breaker.
Yup. It was already a glorified rental service, but this ensures that you won't even have the illusion of owning your "purchases".

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
DraQ said:
fizzelopeguss said:
The fuck is wrong with you lot, upgrading is awesome.
You are not a true man if you haven't experienced the joy of ramming your dice into unwilling mobo socket.
:smugcodex:

Upgrading your computer for geeks is like a jedi building his own lightsabre, it's important.

Micmu

Magister
^
Indeed. Only my first PC was already assembled. And I opened and upgraded that one too. Inserting the math co-processor was hot.

Xi said:
I do not like the price of building them though.

You hate paying $300 or so for an upgrade that can max out nearly every game that exists now, but you love paying $15 a month + surcharge on games to play on low resolution low detail with laggy input with no modding capabilities. And your games will expire in 3 years or 1 year of not being played whichever comes first, leaving you with nothing.

Reminds me of the story of that dumbass lady who rented a PS3 for something like $30 a month and ended up paying $1000 for it. At least she ended up owning the PS3, though.

Xi

Arcane
Overweight Manatee said:
Xi said:
I do not like the price of building them though.

You hate paying $300 or so for an upgrade that can max out nearly every game that exists now, but you love paying $15 a month + surcharge on games to play on low resolution low detail with laggy input with no modding capabilities. And your games will expire in 3 years or 1 year of not being played whichever comes first, leaving you with nothing.

Reminds me of the story of that dumbass lady who rented a PS3 for something like $30 a month and ended up paying $1000 for it. At least she ended up owning the PS3, though.

I'd need a new Mobo, CPU, and RAM currently. That would probably allow me to play modern games on low. You say $300, but you don't factor in the effect of cheap hardware on upgrade cycles. The more you spend the longer it lasts, the less you spend the less it lasts. It's not as cut and dry, but it's certainly not cheap like you insist it is.

Probably 150 for a CPU, 100 for RAM, and 80 for a motherboard. But in another year I have to upgrade my video card and my PSU. Rinse repeat. It's definitely more expensive than onlive is. We had this conversation in the other thread. One of the doods over there was talking shit and it turned out he spent 600+ on only his CPU. I wanted to slap the shit out of him. lol

You massively overestimate the resource requirements of today's games. There is still essentially nothing more demanding then Crysis other then obviously shitty ports. Buy something decent and there is absolutely no need to upgrade until the next generation of consoles comes out. Considering that the major companies aren't even hinting at a new console while MS and Sony also just released major new addons to their own consoles, expect at least 3 years before a new upgrade.

Xi

Arcane
Overweight Manatee said:
You massively overestimate the resource requirements of today's games. There is still essentially nothing more demanding then Crysis other then obviously shitty ports. Buy something decent and there is absolutely no need to upgrade until the next generation of consoles comes out. Considering that the major companies aren't even hinting at a new console while MS and Sony also just released major new addons to their own consoles, expect at least 3 years before a new upgrade.

You are full of shit.

According to this article and others, I would need to upgrade my video card today as opposed to a year from now. Otherwise I'd be stuck with a very low framerate. Latency and input lag are bad, but bad framerates thats ok?

http://ixbtlabs.com/articles2/video/g80 ... page1.html

MetalCraze

Arcane
Xi is a moron or something?
He bitches that computers are so fucking pricy yet believes he will get the same PC power for just $15/mo?

Hahaha what a delusional fucktard, I can't believe my eyes

Monocause

Arcane
Look, Xi. I assembled my computer on my own once I realised my old mac mini got useless. It's a single core P4 3 ghz with 2 gb of RAM and a Radeon 3850. I paid, like, 150 bucks for everything if we'd take a USD to PLN exchange rate at 3 to 1. If I had no connections I'd pay 200 bucks. That's 200 hundred bucks for hardware that was already "dated" at the time of purchase yet still runs everything the market throws at it. Go figure. If memory serves, the CPU I have in my rig is about seven years old design-wise.

That was some two years ago. I still haven't found a single game that made me seriously consider upgrading. I played NFS shift, all the new stuff from the RPG department (DA:O, AP, ME2 etc.), I even played Crysis - after tweaking the settings it still looked good while maintaining stable 20-30 fps, didn't help that I felt gameplay was horseshit though. The only game that I found seriously lagging was VD's Age of Decadence.
I'll be upgrading my CPU to a dual-core one and buying more RAM, but I need these not for games but for audio processing. Games run fine.

The only reason you'd upgrade your hardware every year was if you'd be one of these youtube kids who yell that the newest game runs *only* at 40 fps while having 3000x3000 resolution, 96xAA and other shit set so high a human eye probably can't notice. Not to mention that some of them use all these ultra-high settings on very crappy monitors which makes everything look shit regardless of your hardware.

Please stop repeating this "you have to upgrade" bullshit. You can easily upgrade once per three-four years if you don't have unreasonable expectations (which if you have you'd better stay away from OnLive) and upgrade smart: always purchase middle-tier hardware, look for good deals at eBay or likes.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Xi, you might want to consider better sources for your claims. Seriously, did you even read that link you posted?

Unfortunately, our plans never got to the first base - mandatory hardware performance counters of the G80 do not work, when some shader units are disabled. And such an analysis would have been useless without them.

Our tests included several games without built-in ways to run demos, so we had to test them tentatively.

Unfortunately, our tests did not include such interesting applications as World in Conflict, BioShock, Medal of Honor: Airborne, Test Drive Unlimited, TimeShift, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Half-Life 2: Episode 2, etc.

So their tests were fucking flawed from the start since they didn't actually use an old card, rather they manually tried to downplay the newer card to make it perform similarly to the old card except that didn't turn out that well. Then they didn't have proper test programs so they used bunch of new games (console ports all) and finally they didn't even have many of the more popular recent titles.

WTF is wrong with you? GF 8600 was released in May 2007 and 8800 in November 2007 in any case. You are basically claiming that if you buy a 3 year old graphic card now, you would need to upgrade soon? NO SHIT SHERLOCK.

You constantly over-estime the costs of building one's own PC while under-estimating the costs with OnLive. Furthermore, you constantly downplay any technical problems or issues with the service.

Deleted member 7219

I'll stick with my own fucking computer, thanks.

Xi

Arcane
GarfunkeL said:
WTF is wrong with you? GF 8600 was released in May 2007 and 8800 in November 2007 in any case. You are basically claiming that if you buy a 3 year old graphic card now, you would need to upgrade soon? NO SHIT SHERLOCK.

You missed my point. I have a 7900Gt. If the 8800 is struggling on modern games, then so would my card. What this means is that I would have to upgrade my entire system to play modern games. Why though? I mean, I'm not interested in anything at the moment. I don't want to drop 500 or more on a new computer that does exactly what the computer I'm typing to you on does. I don't want to be one of those old ladies with a super fast computer that emails. It's ridiculous.

So, I have Onlive to make this work for me. I just activate the service when I see a game come along that I want to play. Play it for a month or two and then deactivate the service. Pretty simple and cost effective really.

That was my point.

Edit, my computer uses:

Browsing the web.
Netflix movie streaming.
Email.
Some gaming.(It's been a while!)

You think it makes sense for me to upgrade my entire computer to play a game here and there? Fuck you.

Spec:

3800+ X2 2ghz
1GB PC3200 RAM
7900GT

Xi

Arcane
ever said:
Why don't you just buy an xbox360 :S

I have a PS3 that I use as a Blu-Ray player. (I get BluRays form netflix for $10 a month. Just watched "The men who stare at goats." It was pretty funny.)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom