Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

only a codexer would have these..

LeJosh

Savant
Don't have a photo but just bought Ultima 9: Ascension boxed with all the goodies, cloth map for £3. It's nice to have the worst game in the franchise. :D

Also got Collector's Edition of Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor with everything in it, 30p. :)

Luzur

Good Sir
well bros, finally got around to get these:

141js45.jpg

feels like SSI Goldbox is completed with that, though i still got some other SSI to get.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
That's pretty neat. Where would you get that? As far as I know, Torment didn't have an ULTRA HARDCORE HARDENED EDITION release, so...
The basic edition had CDs in a digipack cover, a t-shirt, a dictionary, a poster, a coloured world description booklet and a manual.

otsego

Cipher
A few new additions to the collection found here.. Pictured are those that only Codexers may find interesting:

ztspap.jpg

y0rd.jpg

The obvious prized acquisitions being Wizardry 8 and Might and Magic. It's too bad that as a kid I discarded some of these games as if they were disposable! (decline-tinted glasses would have been appreciated back then)

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Ten years ago, on another forum, I posted pics of my game collection. 3 years ago, in this very thread, I said that I would not dig out my collection to show you guys. But times change, and my collection has only grown since then, so I thought it would be a good time for a do-over, not to mention to give Luzur a little competition. Note that this is only the part of the collection that is game BOXES, and the titles I want to keep for myself... mostly.

My collection is stored in a set of cardboard boxes, and the photos are taken as I unpack and set up the content of each one. There is no order at work here beyond the numbers on the boxes. Also, I am not showing you everything. I am leaving out some "budget label" boxes as they're rarely fun to see, as well as some "non-gaming" titles that I'm keeping along with the game boxes. I also have a far-too large collection of titles I call "the dregs", which is game boxes I don't want to own*, or duplicate copies. I also have plenty of more recent games in DVD cases, but those are rarely any fun so I'll leave it open whether I take some photos of those.

For those viewing, feel free to help me identify whether a box is the US or European release.

Oh, and not only do I have the floppies/CDs for every title you see in these pics, but EVERY title you're about to see is for the PC. Glorious Master Race and all that. But enough talk, photo time!

S8AF.jpg

Stonekeep
Legend of Kyrandia, Book one
Legend of Kyrandia, Book Two
Legend of Kyrandia, Book Three
Legend of Faerghail
Legend (also known as The Four Crystals of Trazere)
Dragon Wars
Psychonauts
Toonstruck
Hired Guns
Lemmings
Lemmings 2: The Tribes
Lemmings 3D
Starship Titanic
Megatraveller 2
The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes
Albion
Descent
Descent 2
Contraptions
Even More Contraptions
Big Red Racing

# The Psychonauts box is the original US release from 2005, I also have the 2006 European release with the purple/yellow background and digital copies via a Humble Bundle and Steam. That makes four copies of the same game, which even I think is crazy. But it's Psychonauts!

# The box for the first Kyrandia game has some really strange blurbs and disclaimers on it, I took extra photos of those. More on that later.

# The bottom three boxes are cheap/budget (re-)releases, but I like the Big Red Racing one because it's held together by magnets. I didn't know that Kixx was still a thing that late in the 90s...

geGqc.jpg

The Forgotten Realms Archives
Magic: The Gathering
Dreamweb
Midwinter
Midwinter 2: Flames of Freedom
Duke Nukem 3D: Atomic Edition
Duke Nukem 3D: Duke It Out in D.C.
Command & Conquer
Command & Conquer: Red Alert
Eternam
X-Men: Ravages of Apocalypse
Mortal Kombat Trilogy
Gobliiins
Gobliins 2
Virtual Worlds: The Incentive Collection
The Bard's Tale Trilogy
Millenium 2.2
Starglider 2
Leather Goddesses of Phobos
Gods
The Domark PC Games Collection

# The copy of Midwinter 2 is still sealed. :)

# Sadly that's just the floppy disk version of Eternam, the CD version is one of the few things missing from my collection.

# The X-Men Quake TC is an interesting one. It's a beautiful box and was supposed to include a comic that explained the "plot" of the game. However the comic was missing when I bought this copy from the store. This is because how game stores in Iceland used to operate, the owners/staff would take copies of the games home with them and "test" the games, before placing them back on the shelves for unsuspecting customers to buy. This not only resulted in unsealed boxes, but also in stuff going missing from the box, and sometimes even bad sectors on the floppies! I abused this information to buy the "used" copies for a decent discount. This practice ran rampant in local game stores in the early 90s, but I was quite surprised to find it still happening at the time I bought this title. But it was at a huge discount, and I was deeply engrossed in the X-Men comics at the time. I still haven't seen a reason to hunt down a copy of the comic, though.

# The "Virtual Worlds" box is a collection of the old Incentive 3D games from the late 80s/early 90s, and includes Driller, Total Eclipse, Castle Master and Castle Master 2: The Crypt. Sadly it's missing Dark Side and Total Eclipse 2, or otherwise it would be a complete collection of the early days of 3D gaming.

# Yes, those are budget re-releases of Starglider 2 and Leather Goddesses of Phobos, but the LGoP re-release included an updated version with an in-built hintbook and a legal way to bypass the maze. No feelies, though. :(

# The Domark PC Games Collection contains Castle Master, Hard Drivin' 2, Trivial Pursuit, MIG-29 Fulcrum and Escape from the Planet of the Robot Monsters. This collection quickly became notorious here because NONE of the copies shipped to Iceland worked fully, it came on 7 5.25" floppies and every single copy had at least one bad disk. I bought one myself, then scored a stash of 5 more copies (that had been declared non-working and therefore up for grabs) through a friend who worked at one of these stores, and from those I was able to assemble a fully-working copy of this collection. That was in 1996, mind you. I highly doubt that the floppies all work today.

uqQA4.jpg

One Unit Whole Blood
Blood 2: The Chosen
Dune 2000
Zeliard
Space Hulk
Warhammer: Shadow of the Horned Rat
Warhammer: Dark Omen
Aliens: The Comic Book Adventure
Simcity + Populous
Simcity 2000
Warcraft
Diablo
Diablo: Hellfire
Syndicate
Syndicate: American Revolt
Syndicate Wars
Starcraft
Alien vs Predator
Alien vs Predator 2
AvP2: Primal Hunt
AvP Gold
Earthworm Jim 1+2
Murder!

# For such a large box, One Unit Whole Blood sure had little in it. I ordered that straight from the US back when it was new. Getting it shipped to Iceland was a PAIN.

# I also have The Nightmare Levels for Blood 2, even had the box, but I threw it away because I thought it was ugly (it's a negative version of the Blood 2 box). It's one of the few times I've thrown away a game box.

# That copy of Zeliard is still sealed. :)

# Yes, that's a boxed copy of Aliens: The Comic Book Adventure, a.k.a. The Worst Game Ever Made. I keep it around as a reminder of how horrible games can get.

# Murder! is one of the most cantankerous titles I've ever come across. The only way I could get it to run back then was with an old MS-DOS bootdisk (3.0 IIRC). IT WOULD NOT RUN ON ANY OTHER VERSION OF MS-DOS. The last time I tried running it was in 1999, with no success. DOSBox could probably run it today, but I'm not exactly eager to try, as it's a crap game anyway. (The only murder I ever did solve turned out to be a suicide.)

Next up is the Origin box:

Lim8.jpg

System Shock
System Shock 2
Wing Commander 3
Strike Commander/Privateer (contains all add-ons)
Privateer 2
Arx Fatalis
Ultima Collection
Shadowcaster
Spirit of Excalibur
Crusader Collection
Ultima Underworld
Ultima Underworld 2
Ultima 7
Ultima 7, Pt 2: Serpent Isle
Ultima 8: Pagan
Ultima 8 Speech Pack

# Technically it's not all Origin games in this box, but Arx Fatalis is the spiritual successor to Ultima Underworld, and the box of Spirit of Excalibur isn't exactly in good condition, so I keep it inside the Shadowcaster box, which fits PERFECTLY around it.

# As for Shadowcaster, that is the floppy disk version, the CD version has extra content. I own the CD version as well, but the box for that is in... horrible condition, to say the least.

# I own two copies of Ultima 7, Pt 2. The one in the photo and another... "cheap" version. The cheap version doesn't have a cloth map, but a map printed on glossy paper and comes in a shoddy sleeve box. Ugh.

# Sadly I do not own the expansion packs to Ultima 7, but I own the Key To the Black Gate cluebook. Speaking of cluebooks, I could fill a photo just with those.

# Astute readers may have noticed that I did not mention the Game That Shall Not Be Named which can be seen on the far right. Hopefully I do not have to explain why. What's worse, after my friend moved abroad and left me with his game collection, I now have TWO copies of this abomination.

P6UHv.jpg

Civilization II: Scenarios
Civilization II
Civilization II: Fantastic Scenarios
Where in Europe is Carmen Sandiego?
Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego Deluxe Edition?
Where in Time is Carmen Sandiego?
Where in Space is Carmen Sandiego?
X-Com: Unknown Terror
X-Com: Apocalypse
The Lost Vikings
Age of Wonders II
Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic
Star Control
Star Control 2
Star Control 3

# Not a lot of game boxes here, but for good reason, some of these are HEAVY. The green X-Com box alone is 2 kilos, while most of the Carmen Sandiego boxes are close to 1 kilo.

# All those Carmen Sandiego games included normal, readable educational books that also doubled as the game's copy protection. All of those books are still included. In the case of the Deluxe Edition of World, that book is the 1991 World Almanac and Book of Facts, a veritable tome of information and knowledge... so hopelessly outdated nowadays. :)

# X-Com: Unknown Terror is a double pack containing UFO: Enemy Unknown (X-Com: UFO Defense in Kwa) and Terror From The Deep. Not only that, but it also included the Strategy Guides for both games, and those things are BIG and HEAVY. I also keep the X-Com novel in there, another brilliant example of how game novels are on par with furrie fan-fiction in terms of quality.

# Ditto for the Star Control novel, it is absolutely horrible. An Ur-Quan lurking behind a table at a bar, really?!?

# That copy of The Lost Vikings is still sealed, BTW. :)

Here we have the Sierra collection:

fLoFU.jpg

Quest For Glory Collection (I-IV)
Quest For Glory V
The Leisure Suit Larry Collection (1-7)
The King's Quest Collection (1-5)
Red Baron
Rise of the Dragon
The Incredible Toon Machine
Sid & Al's Incredible Toons
Space Quest 3
Space Quest Collection (1-5)
Castle of Dr. Brain
Island of Dr. Brain
Lost Mind of Dr. Brain
Freddy Pharkas, Frontier Pharmacist
Jones in the Fast Lane
Gabriel Knight 3

# It's not much, but it's pretty much every Sierra title I want to own. I also have Gabriel Knight 1 and 2, as well as Space Quest 6 and King's Quest 7, but either they're only the CD cases, or came in budget boxes. I'm quite happy with owning the big Sierra adventure games in collections rather than each individually.

# That Quest For Glory collection contains a preview of QFG5, which would be saying something if the game wasn't standing right next to it.

# Sadly that's not the Space Quest Collection that had the preview footage for Space Quest 7. I would have loved to own that, but since I already owned a Space Quest Collection, well...

# I don't own King's Quest 8, but I DO own LSL: Magna Cum Laude. It's actually quite enjoyable if you cheat most of the mini-games out of it.

# Rise of the Dragon, Incredible Toon Machine and Sid & Al's Incredible Toons are all still sealed. :)

# Speaking of Sid & Al's, just look at that box. Look at it. Look. That thing is an abomination to common sense. It can't stand upright because of its design. It's supposed to be a cartoon television on a small table. You can then lift the TV out of the table to get at the contents of the box. Not that I'm ever going to.

# That's the CD version of Freddy Pharkas, BTW.

1pgQh.jpg

Towers of Darkness
Hexx
Dungeon Keeper
Drakkhen
Xenomorph
Discworld
Discworld 2
Discworld Noir
Tomb Raider 1 Gold
Tomb Raider 2 Gold
Tomb Raider 3 Gold
Jagged Alliance
Jagged Alliance: Deadly Games
Jagged Alliance 2
Captive
Secret Weapons of the Lüftwaffe
Their Finest Hour: The Battle For Britain

# Towers of Darkness is a compilation of Heretic, Hexen and all of their respective add-ons. In a huge box. I just wanted a legal copy of these games on CD, getting the box was an unexpected bonus.

# The "Gold" versions of the first three Tomb Raider games contained a short four-level extra campaign for each game. I remember beating the first two games with all secrets found, but I was never arsed to even play the third one.

# The box you see of Jagged Alliance is the UK one. I also have the US one, and that is almost identical in appearance, except it's flimsier and has an ugly AOL promo sticker right on the front.

# As far as I can tell, both Lüftwaffe and The Battle for Britain have all of their manuals. The boxes sure are heavy enough...

Xk0hp.jpg

Sanitarium
Duckman: Legend of the Fall
Lands of Lore
Lands of Lore 2
Final Fantasy 7
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master 2
The Longest Journey
The Ultimate Wizardry Archives
Laser Squad
Dune 2
Strife
Loom
Warlords 3: Reign of Heroes
Terminator 2029
Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri Planetary Pack
Gothic 2 Gold
Golden Axe

# Though I'm not certain, I think that copy of Duckman is the most valuable game in my collection. The game was only released in Europe, and only in 5000 copies, and although the exterior is in German, the game itself is in English. What's more, it's still sealed. I found a copy of the jewel case here in Iceland and can therefore play the game legally without tampering with this copy.

# Finding boxed copies of Final Fantasy 7, Dungeon Master, Strife and Gothic 2 for the PC is NOT as easy as it sounds.

# Although I kept an eye out for boxed copies of each of the LucasArts adventure games, Loom was the only one I could get my hands on. The old LucasArts games were highly sought-after back then, and they're probably stupidly overpriced today. I own most of them through budget re-releases and compilations anyway, so I'm not THAT bothered by it.

# Terminator 2029 is the ONLY Bethesda game I own, and I intend to keep it that way. I wouldn't mind owning the mission pack, but finding that is probably going to be a bitch.

# That's a budget re-release of Golden Axe for the PC. It's a crap version, not really worth bothering with.

KZfAu.jpg

# Spellcasting 101
# Spellcasting 201
# Spellcasting 301
# cobra Mission
# Cybermage
# Anvil of Dawn
# Outcast
# Thief: The Dark Project
# Thief Gold
# Thief 2: The Metal Age
# Klax
# Impossible Mission 2
# Batman: The Caped Crusader
# Darkseed
# Darkseed 2

# Finding all three Spellcasting games in one place is a rarity. What's even rarer is when all three of them have their cluebooks, which these do. :)

# Yes, that's Cobra Mission, the lite-RPG Hentai game. This is the original copy that spawned ALL the bootleg copies of the game that could be found in Iceland, and that was a LOT of bootleg copies for a lot of horny teenagers. Not that I had anything to do with that, though. I just got the box after a friend cleared out his games and gave them to me. I heard its sordid story afterwards. :-/

# Cybermage couldn't tag along with the other Origin games because there simply wasn't any more room in the other box.

# I also own Thief: Deadly Shadows (and the newly released Thief Collection) but in terms of boxes this is all I've got. Seems small, considering how huge an impact these games have had on me.

# Except for Klax, the bottom row of games are all still sealed. The plastic's broken on the Darkseed 2 box, but nothing major.

But now, what most of you have been waiting for, the SSi/AD&D box:

ERyr2.jpg

Temple of Elemental Evil
Buck Rogers, Countdown to Doomsday
Buck Rogers, Matrix Cubed
Baldur's Gate: Complete Saga
Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn
Ravenloft: Strahd's Possession
Ravenloft: Stone Prophet
Planescape: Torment
Veil of Darkness
Dungeon Hack
Gateway to the Savage Frontier
Treasures of the Savage Frontier
Champions of Krynn
Death Knights of Krynn
Dark Queen of Krynn
Eye of the Beholder
Eye of the Beholder 2
Eye of the Beholder 3
War of the Lance
Heroes of the Lance
Dragons of Flame
Pool of Radiance
Curse of the Azure Bonds
Secret of the Silver blades
Pools of Darkness
Icewind Dale collection

# Missing from this are the two Dark Sun games, since the box for the first one is notoriously flat, while the other one only came in a plastic sleeve. It's also missing another copy of Baldur's Gate (without ToSC) and the Baldur's Gate 2 Collection.

# The Planescape: Torment box also contains the novel. It's not shown in the photo because there wasn't any real space for it.

# The copies of Dark Queen of Krynn, War of the Lance and Pool of Radiance are STILL SEALED. The plastic is torn on PoR, but not enough to make it a problem.

# I also have the cluebooks for Countdown to Doomsday, all three EOB games, and all four Forgotten Realms games. I might have a cluebook for one (or both) of the Ravenloft games, but I forgot to check.

6EwQi.jpg

(Note: The cat startled me just as I was taking this photo, hence the slight blur in the picture.)

The Ancient Art of War in the Skies
Myst
Stunts (also known as 4D Sports Driving)
4D Sports Boxing
Flight Unlimited II
American McGee's Alice
Monty Python's Looney Bin
Return to Castle wolfenstein
The Legacy
Full Throttle
Street Rod 1
Street Rod 2
F-117A Stealth Fighter 2.0

# I was given a large haul of boxed games over a year ago, these were those among them that still had everything with them, as in box, dox and disks. I haven't even gotten around to trying any of them to see whether they work.

And last, but most certainly not least...

Quyo.jpg

Fallout (European box)
Fallout (US box)
Fallout 2 (US box)
Fallout Tactics
Heroes 3 Complete
PSI-5 Trading Company
Arcanum
Heroes Compendium
Might & Magic 6 Special Edition
Might & Magic 7
Might & Magic 8

# I originally bought the European box for Fallout back when it was new, it took me a couple of years to realize that I had been playing a censored version of the game, and getting a US version of the game was one of the first things I did once I started hunting for old games on eBay.

# Fallout 2, however I bought locally. There was this one store here that imported their video games straight from the US. As a result they had some titles on sale that none of the other stores had.

# The "odd one out" box in the middle is the oldest game in my collection. This game was released by Accolade in 1985. As it was the first PC game I ever played, I just HAD to own a copy of it. And it's still sealed! (It's not much of a box really, more like a sealed envelope.)

# Speaking of sealed, so is that copy of Might & Magic 8.

*Who in their right mind wants to own a copy of Spider-Man: Seperation Anxiety? That's the kinda stuff I'm stuck with.

Last edited:

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Maaan, if only I wasn't moving between countries like crazy I'd certainly try to buy some of those off your hands!!

The Legacy and Megatraveller 2, for one!

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Maaan, if only I wasn't moving between countries like crazy I'd certainly try to buy some of those off your hands!!

The Legacy and Megatraveller 2, for one!

What a coincidence, as I'm looking to sell those two titles, among others. Both of them are parts of other people's collections that have ended up in my hands, and have little to no meaning for me.

Let's be in touch in the future sometime. :)

As for the above post, I mentioned that the box for Legend of Kyrandia had some strange stickers on it, so I took some photos of those and decided to share with you. It starts with this sticker on the front:

U2Zy.jpg

Which struck me as kinda odd as there are no obvious references to King's Quest visible, except that Brandon looks a lot like the protagonist from King's Quest III. So I flipped the box around and on the side I found this:

wjStZ.jpg

So now we have an explanation for the sticker, but this raises further questions: Who thought it would be a good idea to reference a game series belonging to another company, on a game that would be in direct competition to it? Clearly this is someone grasping at straws to avoid a lawsuit. BUT WAIT, there's more! Check out the back!

8yTDw.jpg

Here we have a disclaimer that says that Eye of the Beholder is a registered trademark of another company, yadda-yadda-yadda... except that the aforementioned titles aren't named on the box. They're named on the sticker on the back of the box. The disclaimer comes BEFORE the reference!

Someone with a legal background could probably explain this better, but this made me go "WTF?" when I noticed this.

EDIT March 15th 2015: The mystery seems to have been solved. Westwood was planning on having the first Kyrandia title published by Sierra On-Line, but the deal seems to have fallen through at the last possible moment - meaning that the box design had to be re-designed in a hurry.

Last edited:

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
Damn, that's an impressive collection, Unkillable Cat! Most of the boxes appear to be in really good condition, too.:bro:

Bruticis

I'm in the slow, painful process of rebuilding my collection after selling it all It's small but is growing daily thanks to fleabay. Blame the shitty pic quality on Apple.
hY1QpZF.jpg

BYmSAVB.jpg

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
thats some gigantic shelves you got there, the games look tiny. The Alpha centauri box for instance is quite big in reality but on your picture it looks extremely small.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Everyday I regret throwing my boxes out years ago when moving. I still have all the cds and manuals but not he damn boxes!

Bruticis

thats some gigantic shelves you got there, the games look tiny. The Alpha centauri box for instance is quite big in reality but on your picture it looks extremely small.
It's a kwan shelf, big shelf, big people. I'm hiding the rest of the shelves, massive decline to be found but you can see some spilling over into the classics section.

Don Peste

Arcane

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
It's wrose when you're not the one throwing these away. I had an awesome collection. Utima VI, a sealed Dungeon Master, Might and Magic 3 to 6, etc... One day I came back at my parent's. "Dad, incidentally, remember all my game boxes ? Where are these now anyway?"

"This old junk? Threw it all away."

"Oh."

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
For some weird reason, I have lost my passion for collecting antique games when I seriously got into Command Ops. Probably because it ate most of my gaming time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom