Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arcanum OpenArcanum

deama

Prophet
Well, this sounds interesting; I'm a bit skeptical on it being actually released/done well, but could lead to some neat things.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
I dunno how it works in your magical lands, in my country people use that term all the time. Junior is the one who can do stuff under supervision, middle is the one who can work on their own, senior can supervise and have full grasp on project technologies. Seniority doesn't make developer an authority: junior developer can have a very specific expertise while senior devs more often than not use too much technologies to really get deep into many of them.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
And for the JavaScript trolls: Learn something about Typescript and ES2017. Or go and tell the npm.com's and Node.js' devs that they wasted their lives, because you think that JavaScript sucks and applications and games written in JS are completely wrong.
lol @ typescript
If you want to use a proper language with static typing, use a proper language with static typing. Typescript is nothing but shoehorning some paradigm to a language that was never made for it.
It is like writing C++ and using auto for every single declaration. Absurd and wrong. Just because it is possible, doesn't mean it should be done.
If you are using Typescript, I can guarantee you should have been using something entirely different the entire time.

Node.js has its uses if you do not need any serious performance. If you need to write an app of some kind and happen to have only developers incapable of writing in higher performance languages, might as well use Node.js. It does work.
Just as pretty much everything JS. It simply isn't fast. Because no dynamically typed language can ever be truly fast.
On the other hand, on modern machines, even JS performance will be more than sufficient for what Arcanum needs, so... go ahead.

ColCol

Arcane
I do think Arcanum's combat could use a slight redesign, encounter wise and making enemies actually use their spells.

Last edited:

Black

Arcane
I only mentioned Typescript, I know that it's only a transpiler language from ages before ES6. In OpenArcanum, I use ES2017 which is OOP and async based.

Thanks to everyone for supporting this project. I just posted another update on our FB page: https://www.facebook.com/ArcanumAlive/

Have a nice day.
Don't mind the attacks, some of us have been jaded by 200 years of RPG decline. You do what you do.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
I don't know shit about java or scripting (other than autohotkey since some savage developers hate civilization), but thank you and everyone else working hard for free to improve the actual great rpgs of our time. I honestly don't understand why anyone would want to play Arcanum in MP, but if it gets the console retards to play an actual rpg and my money isn't subsidizing it, I'm all for it.

Good luck and thanks again.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
"senior".

senior-citizens.jpg

Maxli

Novice
Hello everyone,

the OpenArcanum is still under heavy development. We took a short pause, but we are back in business. There will be a lots of updated following, this one is bit older, but I have not posted it here yet.

Here is a preview of the current progress on the UI. As you can see a lots of new stuff has been added. And it is just a beginning. A lots of work is waiting ahead.
  • Character editor
  • Inventory, including hot slots and plug slots
  • Worldmap, townmap will be finished soon as well
  • Modal windows
  • Ingame video recorder and uploader
  • And bunch of new components and stuff you can't see :)

For future info, here is link to our facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/ArcanumAlive

Also. We moved from Taiga to Trello, the board is public: https://trello.com/b/hLQGjqh3

And thanks to everyone, who is supporting me thru Patreon.

Have a nice day.

This follows the previous thread:
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/openarcanum.120516/

Your approach is a bit unorthodox (I would use C# but I happen to like it, so I'm biased), but whatever works.
Anyway, you're doing Nasrudin's Work, carry on :salute:
Pity I only dabbled a little with Javascript and am currently busy learning C#, otherwise I would love to hop in and help.

Question:
Does OpenArcanum require the original's assets - AKA, you need to buy the actual game with its assets because they don't come with the engine?
Because if not, you might have random encounters with squads of lawyers in your future.

Question 2: Think your engine could support controlling multiple characters at once in turn-based mode, like in a squad-based game?

deama

Prophet
Making progress. I was wondering, have you used multi-threading?
Also, any ETA for this project?

Last edited:

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
What happened to this project?

Looks like it is alive and well. Patreon page works.

If I don't see a Codexer's name on the Patreon (I will get the DB and look for all of you), then I will pay you a visit and show you what cuck sex looks like.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom