Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

OpenMW: Porting Morrowind to an open source engine

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
That first person modifier bounded to mousewheel is a fucking waste of the mouse wheel.

Bahamut

Arcane
That first person modifier bounded to mousewheel is a fucking waste of the mouse wheel.

I liked how Chivalry made use of it, wheel up for thrusting attacks, wheel down for overhead attacks

deuxhero

Arcane
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ea8NPedKsk

New version. If you aren't a Pole, the visible change are pretty minor, but they also added a basic construction set (very incomplete from the sound of it).

Seems to be progressing pretty well. As far as I can tell, the major missing things are already in progress (AI, saving) or dependent on a fix to Bullet and out of the team's control for now (combat)

Also: Maybe it's just most videos on the internet being by obnoxious minors who think swearing is funny, but I got to give props the narrator for these videos for good vocal work, it's easy to make out and very professional in tone.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Also: Maybe it's just most videos on the internet being by obnoxious minors who think swearing is funny, but I got to give props the narrator for these videos for good vocal work, it's easy to make out and very professional in tone.
The guy strikes me as a professional. Wouldn't be surprised if he works a day job and this is a hobby project for him.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Mmm let me see if I got this straight; this is a thread for basicaly modernizing the engine that runs Morrowind, which besides the logical better performance and optimizations would lead to actualy fixing hard coaded bugs or design decisions, PLUS maintaing compatibility with the mayority of the mods of arguably the best TES game and some fans not only critizice the development team but question even the reason for the project to exists in the first place?
There are hundreds of threads here in the Codex to troll guys, why would you even do it ina project which yuo are not interested at all? Some of us love this game and any attempt to make it run better, have more features or simply look pretty is very much worth it yeah even almost a dozen years later
This is truly the EE edition of Morrowind and I for one would even pay for the privilage of playing Morrowind like this, yeah the combat is still shitty and the animations suck but look at the progress they have made in the last year!

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
There are hundreds of threads here in the Codex to troll guys, why would you even do it ina project which yuo are not interested at all? Some of us love this game and any attempt to make it run better, have more features or simply look pretty is very much worth it yeah even almost a dozen years later
Where do you think we are?

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Actualy if you gentlemen have the power and influence I would love to share Volorun's Pretty Princess tag, it shouldn't be much of a problem for such knowledable and undoubtedly influencial memebers in the Codex comunity to make it happen?

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Why make a new game when you can make a remake of an old game and get way, way more attention for it?

Azazel

Arbiter
Why make a new game when you can make a remake of an old game and get way, way more attention for it?

If only we could have our cake and eat it too: full development studios realizing this concept, but actually remaking the game instead of some retarded QTE-ridden assbaby abortion that calls into question the value of life for every developer involved.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Damn, text-to-speech programs are getting more and more lifelike.

Bahamut

Arcane

Finally they implemented savegames (but so far the game can drop them for no reason), mabye its time to check if you can actually beat MQ

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
That is a huge release for "just one" version upgrade. Really looking forward to the final, seems they are very near a beta state.

EDIT: Thoughts for those thinking of playing:
  • Save states do not appear to work fully for quests. Not sure if quest progress itself isn't saved but dialogue related to quests seems buggy and may reset after you load a save.
  • Performance is still pretty poor. Even at the "stock" settings with all the fancy effects turn off I still struggle to get much more than 30 fps.
  • I ran into some odd bugs, including a crash when trying to change some graphics settings in-game, the Icarian Flight dude outside Seyda Neen doesn't actually fall, and slaughterfish following my character underground after walking past water.
It's not quite ready for a play-through but in its state right now it is definitely mostly playable without major issues. I'll probably wait until the next major release before messing around more and/or outright replacing my Morrowind install with this one.

Last edited:

Gord

Arcane
Assuming they reach 1.0 in the not-too-distant future, what would be the advantage to playing OpenMW over normal Morrowind?
Is there any tangible one already? If performance is worse, what do I gain?

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Assuming they reach 1.0 in the not-too-distant future, what would be the advantage to playing OpenMW over normal Morrowind?
Is there any tangible one already? If performance is worse, what do I gain?
The feel-goodness of supporting an open source project?

Uh, it's... newer. And newer things are better.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom