Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-COM OpenXcom Thread

baturinsky

Arcane
In case someone has missed it https://xpedia.netlify.com/ - online pedia for Piratez. Offline version should be included in latest release, but engine there is a bit outdated.

AgentFransis

Cipher
Patron
That made want to start a new campaign so I browsed the wiki for an hour trying to pick the codex. I'm thinking gold so I can play around with the admiral outfit and the flag which I understand was buffed. Then again I see that green now has access to moloch armor and vampire gear, which I want to play with. My last campaign was gray and I played around with the destruction stuff a lot so I don't want neither gray nor red.

Which codex do you go for?

baturinsky

Arcane
Green and Gold ar safe choices. Green if you want more tankiness/survivability in expense of other things. I prefer Green, Discord's resident powergamer prefers Gold.
Red and Grey are more niche, mostly because they do not have Fairies.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Version 1.0 of X-Com Files has been released.
https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,4595.3015.html
OK, this is the day. After four years of modding, version 1.0 has been released.

- Updated to OXCE 6.1.1.
- New features: random events, commendations (with bonuses), enhancement treatments; basic agent stats lowered for balance.
- New stat: Readiness, and associated exhaustion mechanics.
- New alien race: Chaser (sprites by Voidavatar and Finnik).
- New units: Owlman (sprites provided by Wizard Brandon, sounds by SparroHawc), Black Sun Stormtrooper, Muton Shader, Bio-drone, Ethereal Servitor, Ethereal Eliminator.
- New weapons: Messer, Hydra Laser, Magneto-Plasma Gun, Recoilless Gun, Mortar, Chainsaw (all from Piratez), Harpoon Gun, ADS (both by Finnik), Warp Rifle, Warp Cannon, Death Disc, Spectral Scythe, Cross.
- New items: Elerium Flare (by Starving Poet), Trace Flare, Rosary.
- New craft weapon: Heavy Stormlance.
- New dossiers: Grishka "Bullet" Yashin (by Dioxine), Agent "Smiles" McGee.
- New missions: Downed UFO Near Village, M.A.G.M.A. Cosmonaut Rescue (both by Finnik), Syndicate Field Test, They Came From The Sea, Depthpocalypse, Moon Outpost, Moon Underground Conduits, Alien Lunar Colony: Suburbia, Alien Lunar Colony: Main, Alien Lunar Colony: Core.
- Overhaul of agent advancement mechanics.
- Horrors now may appear on Exobiological Contamination missions after two years.
- More alien missions after invasion.
- Added armor values to certain UFOs.
- Dogs are now zombified into zombie dogs.
- Added extra "incentives" to make sure the player doesn't procrastinate.
- Psi now costs Readiness.
- Removed excessive Alien Data Slates and modified their rewards.
- Dog Bark now doesn't ignore armor completely.
- Power Armor no longer costs maintenance.
- New logos (by Arvidus).
- New Plasma Subrifle graphics (bigob by Brain_322).
- New Pickup picture (by Alex D).
- New backgrounds.
- New autopsy picture for Chaser (by Voidavatar).
- New fancy daze effect (by Finnik).
- Improved Ufopedia item page (by Kato).
- Added flags for dogs, rats and AI units.
- Added a submod with Cyrillic names (by Kato).
- Fixed funding from small countries.
- Minor updates and fixes.

Now, this doesn't at all mean that this is the end. I will continue releasing new versions just like before, at least for the foreseeable future (which means until I decide to start my next project). The 1.0 only means that I am satisfied with how the mod works now and consider it "done" enough to say so.

Comte

You guys have any tips for Xpiratez? I just started my first game and have no idea wtf I am doing.

AgentFransis

Cipher
Patron
Kill the enemy before it can kill you, drink booze and enjoy the tits.
If the game is screwing you too roughly go to the piratez board and read through the newbie questions thread.

Alternately let your powers of autism flow freely and put every weapon and gal in a spreadsheet to min-max their dps.

Comte

Dude some of my gals were wounded and then they dissapeared is this normal?

lightbane

Arcane
You guys have any tips for Xpiratez? I just started my first game and have no idea wtf I am doing.
Press "Q" in the Geospace to access the research tracker page. Alternatively, mid-click on a research topic.
Don't play on super-human, the game is not meant to be played in that way unless you feel the need to show off your e-peen to strangers.
Units can attack unarmed by clicking on empty "hand" spaces, which is surprisingly effective as your gals level up.
Some weapons are shit and intended to be shot, this is not a "let's balance everything!" game... Until a new patch changes values for *reasons*. Stick to what you like.
Lastly, just like regular xcom, plasma weaponry>>>>>>>>>>> Everything else, with few exceptions.

Comte

Press "Q" in the Geospace to access the research tracker page. Alternatively, mid-click on a research topic.
Don't play on super-human, the game is not meant to be played in that way unless you feel the need to show off your e-peen to strangers.
Units can attack unarmed by clicking on empty "hand" spaces, which is surprisingly effective as your gals level up.
Some weapons are shit and intended to be shot, this is not a "let's balance everything!" game... Until a new patch changes values for *reasons*. Stick to what you like.
Lastly, just like regular xcom, plasma weaponry>>>>>>>>>>> Everything else, with few exceptions.

Is there a screen to see wounded girls?

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria

They're not visible on usual soldier lists?

Comte

They're not visible on usual soldier lists?

No they all disappeared. And they are not in the memorial so they didnt die.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Finally got around to trying X Piratez, installation was far less painful than I was expecting.

It's amazing! Only spent the day playing around but I'm already in love and had to drop the developer some cash.

Surprised by how well it plays, would happily pay full price for a game with that UI and content.

orcinator

Liturgist
I tried X-Filez 1.0 recentrly.
The missions where you fight a hundred zombies or spiders are still there but they seem less common, that might have just been my luck though.
There's also a couple special missions against superior enemies that can net you a ton of money so you're not as pressured into grinding through the ultra tedious missions.
But overall the early game hasn't changed all that much and you're still going to be doing cult hideouts/outposts and creature exterminations alongside some infiltrations and crop circles.

lightbane

Arcane
You can always try doing the following during cult missions to make them go faster: Try capturing a worthy target, then bravely retreat while leaving the rest of the enemies alone.

Or ignore them altogether if you have interrogated enough cult members that only the high-tier missions are worth anything.

orcinator

Liturgist
You can always try doing the following during cult missions to make them go faster: Try capturing a worthy target, then bravely retreat while leaving the rest of the enemies alone.

Or ignore them altogether if you have interrogated enough cult members that only the high-tier missions are worth anything.

The general issue is that you need every last dollar if you want to actually get ahead in the early game(especially since there's a new random event system that just makes you lose an extra 100-200 points per month for no reason) and the monster hunts are worth a decent amount of money and score and make up a significant percentage of available missions. Free training is nice too.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
So, just an X Piratez question. What weapons do you dudes start out with? They all seem like trash.

I mean the ol' shotgun seems decent at medium range but beyond that the enemy always seem to grind me down no matter what I use.

Is the intention that you just stick with muskets for the early game?

AgentFransis

Cipher
Patron
They are all trash. Early game your best weapons are melee, molotoves and bombs and javelins and bows when you can get them. Always fight at night since gals have a night vision range of 12 while regular humans have 9.
Upgrade to shotguns as soon as you can, in particular the heavy shotgun is amazing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom