Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-COM OpenXcom Thread

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Muskets are decent enough support weapons during early game, I've been using those mainly against illuminated enemies or in some cases I let another unit do spotting and then shoot speculative aimed shot.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
They are all trash. Early game your best weapons are melee, molotoves and bombs and javelins and bows when you can get them. Always fight at night since gals have a night vision range of 12 while regular humans have 9.
Upgrade to shotguns as soon as you can, in particular the heavy shotgun is amazing.

Just found a double barrelled shotgun, hell yeah this game has it all.

Pay attention to how the melee weapons work, some are designed to rely less on melee accuracy than others and are the best choices for your lower skilled girls (e.g. 50 + 50% of melee accuracy is better than 100% of melee accuracy while below 100 melee accuracy). Get behind or at least to the side of targets while meleeing to decrease their dodge bonus. A chainsaw or Hammer is good for getting through walls early game, and in desparate circumstances a Hammer can be a good can opener for heavily armored targets. Muskets aren't too awful considering their immense power, just don't put yourself in a situation where you'll be dead if you miss a shot. Early game Piratez is all about taking advantage of your night sense. Turn off your lights, and if you melee someone make sure you pick up anything they drop that emits light so you aren't a highlighted target for the whole map to destroy.

You should get some decent rifles eventually, IIRC the Hunting Rifle was good and could be upgrading to a better version. Just make sure to spread your researchers out to research everything. Get your economy going first and buy researchers a month or two later. If/When you get the flashlights it becomes very easy to toggle them on and off during your turn to illuminate the map and enemies while staying in darkness during the enemy turn.

Last edited:

AgentFransis

Cipher
Patron
Research kinda is ecomony though. Each topic you research (or get from an interrogated prisoner) gets you infamy for which you get bonus money at the end of the month. Capturing prisoners and maximizing your brainers should be a priority.

Research kinda is ecomony though. Each topic you research (or get from an interrogated prisoner) gets you infamy for which you get bonus money at the end of the month. Capturing prisoners and maximizing your brainers should be a priority.

Once you get the ability to make the booze you've got the best moneymaker you'll get for a long time, at which point you should be funneling most of your cash into engineering. The end of month bonus is an absolute pittance in comparison. Prisoners are kind of weak in terms of money past the first few months too but still essential to eventually unlock stuff.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Yeah, the first few games I tried it seems like I got majorly lucky. Now I seem to keep getting massive maps full of enemies who just gun me down.

Is there something I need to do to enable night vision? I tried a night fight but it was so dark I couldn't see anything. Are torchs worth any cop?

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Yeah, the first few games I tried it seems like I got majorly lucky. Now I seem to keep getting massive maps full of enemies who just gun me down.

Is there something I need to do to enable night vision? I tried a night fight but it was so dark I couldn't see anything. Are torchs worth any cop?
Press scroll lock.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What an asshole.

Talking about community then destroying it.

Edit:

Lol, is he EA? Going after LP-makers next.

Gonna have to read the whole thread, this is juicy

Edit 2:

Hmmm, he think having donations make the mod commercial? What, am I understanding his issue correct?

Last edited:

Comte

Anybody have a copy of the latest XPiratez they can share with me?

Edit:
I have it in my archive forget it.

What a dick destroying all sorts of mods.

Last edited by a moderator:

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
The fact the community hasn't laughed this fuckwit out of the room, and instead decided to enable his tantrum, just goes to show why we can't have nice things.

AgentFransis

Cipher
Patron
Well, he is kinda getting his just reward. Before this he could proudly say that his stuff is used by all the greatest mods and through them by thousands of players. Now it's used by no one.

Citizen

Yea, dick move. Also absolutely pointless, it's not like he's getting something out of it apart from a very bad rep

But modders gonna drama, I guess

AgentFransis

Cipher
Patron
This did remind me I've been meaning to drop a donation to Dioxine. The dude fucking earned it.

E: his Paypal is in Złoty. Eastern Europe truly is the source of incline in our age.

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Why reward him for cucking out? He acquiesced to the demands of an emotionally unstable manchild, and if he cucked out once, he'll cuck out again the moment someone else complains about some other thing in his mod.

AgentFransis

Cipher
Patron
Cucking out? Don't be silly. That dude is a dick but it's still his right to decide that he withdraws permission to use his stuff. Dioxine must respect that as it's the same code of conduct he expects for his own creations, and the generally accepted courtesy in any modding community.

And XPiratez is one of the best games I ever played, who gives a shit about some minor thing I may or may not agree about.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
X-com Files is also currently unavailable and Tech-Comm mod will have some assets removed.
https://openxcom.mod.io/tech-comm
As posted elsewhere, as an author, I've decided that my original work/files in the Terrain Pack, Area 51 and other mods cannot be used anymore by other modders on their own mods.

This applies to any mods that publish new versions after November 26th, 2019 - you're not required to remove any previous versions that have been already published. But you are not allowed to use the files for any type of commercial propose without asking permission first from me and the other authors. And you are not allow to publish the mod's files anywhere, in their current state or modified versions.

Any unauthorized use and publishing of my work will be properly notified and reported, if necessary.

CREDITS
Dioxine - T-800 & Facility Sprites (to be removed by author's request)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom