Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-COM OpenXcom Thread

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Don't think there is anything. Kinda annoying watching your men slowly being burnt alive. Think in Apocalypse smoke grenades took out fires, but no luck here.

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
Well. You want hearing funny story from my X-Files campaign?
Well, you have no choice as I will tell it now you want it or not.
So I was landing my Osprey full of troops at Red dawn base and decide to burn the reds. Prepared napalm grenades and then some red throw grande inside.
My guys fall and his napalm grandees explode filling osprey with fire.
Half the crew panicked and run outside just to be gunned down by Reds.
The one that survived enemy fire burned to death outside as the fire extinguishers get vaporized by explosion.
I could not even evacuated all from outside as I was faced with choose - run now or wait and let some of the crew inside burn to death.
Lost like 3 veterans in this mistake.

lightbane

Arcane
This is why crafts with closed doors are a god-send... But the devs hate them because "they encourage camping"*. The latest update of X-Files removed the door of the SkyMarshal, a good early transport.
:decline:

*What I see players do instead is hide behind walls and such to try avoid facing the exit during turn 1, which is not much better, if not worse.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Not only are you cramped together with no way to move around, now you don't even have doors protecting you from falling off going to crash sites in incredible speeds. X-com soldiers should form a union.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Not only are you cramped together with no way to move around, now you don't even have doors protecting you from falling off going to crash sites in incredible speeds. X-com soldiers should form a union.
They also have the dumbest pilots of all:
They still haven't figured out that they are supposed to land near the objective, not right on it in the middle of hostile forces. It is a miracle we still haven't lost a craft to point blank flak barrage.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Makes me think that X-com might not be hiring the best, but the worst. The normal military rejects.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Is there an asset swap or mod for Xpiratez that replaces the anime art with something that.... isn’t?

lightbane

Arcane
Honestly don't care that much about removing some terrain packs. A LOT of the new terrains are simply overcomplicated bullshit for the sake of overcomplicated bullshit. e.g. I hope the fucking Mayan Temple terrain is gone, with the map being impossible to navigate due to debris, not a single flat tile, and LOS basically impossible to determine except through trial and error. Same goes for urban maps with a building every 5 feet that abuses all 10 vertical levels of space in Openxcom with extremely annoying and long to explore internal architecture for shit to hide in and excessively strong damage resistance to explosives because someone decided to the age-old method of just blowing shit up was too easy for their new maps.

Finally someone says it. I hate these temple maps with way too many objects in the way too. As for the other, the "Commercial" terrain, it is fun only the first three times you play in one of these. Afterwards, you're urged to use debug options to bypass that annoying map.

To be fair, the ramp is closed and forms a door. However, Skymarshall used to have an additional door to give your units some support and avoid being shot the moment the ramp is down. Now it's a deathrap as the regular transports you start the game with. To make things worse, there are secondary doors at the sides that have left untouched for reasons.
I swear the original Avenger also had a security door, but it's gone in X-Files.

They still haven't figured out that they are supposed to land near the objective, not right on it in the middle of hostile forces. It is a miracle we still haven't lost a craft to point blank flak barrage.

It's better/worse when you still drive around civilian vehicles and your pilot parks the car in the middle of an enemy formation. For extra points, in X-Files one of your units IS the pilot, so it's all their fault.

Makes me think that X-com might not be hiring the best, but the worst. The normal military rejects.

XCF says that in a roundabout way. :)

Unwanted

Horvatii

Unwanted
Btw, Dioxine has said that the K3 release will be skipped and K4 is soon to be public, so no longer wait required. It might actually be a good thing that Hobbes drama'ed. Now the terrible maps are gone!

Looking for feedback, I am considering a house rules run of Xpiratez:
- peasants only, maybe with an uber in the craft as a commander
- only equipment that is on the peasant!
- no shop buying
- no enemy equipment in the craft! only what we can produce
- always be advancing! no camping
- davy jones difficulty but with superhuman enemy stats

I dont even know if this is possible :D

AgentFransis

Cipher
Patron
Just stab yourself in the eye with a pen - should achieve a similar effect faster.

Without the last item this actually sounds like a pretty nice challenge now that we have peasent militia training. Though I would still allow captured equipment. There's barely anything we can produce that's usable by peasants (the whole point of most of the custom weapons is to trade weight for power since gals are strong) so you'll be stuck with basically tribal weapons until some peasent gets strong enough to wield a Kustom Handcannon or something. The peasents will still be shitty for a very long time so it's not like it makes it that much easier.

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
So after long time i decide to come back to x-files and check how it changed.
Ironman, pretty much plying blind.
Well pictures will say more than thousand words.
N50B92D.png
08RxiMX.png

93St5s2.png
Moment when invasion begun.
wqbOjwI.png
I wasn't prepared.

To be honest I could play but I was defeated by my naming convention. Idea of manually renaming new and some old(in training) operatives in HUNDREDS just make me lose my will to resist alien takeover.
So i started new one with simpler naming and this time its better for me(not too much but still).

To be honest fighting human cultists/organizations is pretty fun, monsters are big lame(either rape landing zone or slow slog or looking for some rat in buildings), and aliens are kicking my ass.
Raiding human basses and gathering guns and loot is pretty addictive tho.
Some extra pics from operations.
sh0LCx8.png

hv6x0wc.png
How we get back home now>?

Unwanted

Horvatii

Unwanted
Just stab yourself in the eye with a pen - should achieve a similar effect faster.
Without the last item this actually sounds like a pretty nice challenge now that we have peasent militia training. Though I would still allow captured equipment. There's barely anything we can produce that's usable by peasants (the whole point of most of the custom weapons is to trade weight for power since gals are strong) so you'll be stuck with basically tribal weapons until some peasent gets strong enough to wield a Kustom Handcannon or something. The peasents will still be shitty for a very long time so it's not like it makes it that much easier.

The thing about captured gear is that it can be pretty powerful and it feels like you have tons of it. It devalues what you can produce. So the house rules are now basically a normal game but with peasants. It tough to think about a no-buy rule without actually trying it...

It is even tougher to design a no-camping rule. I was thinking the following:
- if you spot an enemy, your spotter or your unit closest to the enemy HAS TO close distance by at least 2 tiles
- you can opt to just shoot all your TU away in-place
- but you cannot move back into cover that is in the same place where your the turn started

Basically, you cannot peek around a corner, shoot and go back. You have to peek, shoot and move forward into cover if you find any or only move into forward cover.

This is of course pretty terrible for survival and missions with lots of enemies on open terrain are probably suicide... considering you start the game with 6 peeps on a bus.

There is also a problem with tanks and only-what-you-carry rule.

K3 "leak"? K3 leak!
https://www.sendspace.com/file/aag6qb

Unwanted

Horvatii

Unwanted
Dioxine, the main developer of X-Piratez disappeared for a month now. Maybe he got laid and the mod development is over?

Havent tried the peasant run, no time. But first impressions are that I would be dying to reaction fire on-hit. Basically anything that does not die on first burst would fire back and at high difficulty with inflated stats relieably mow down peasants.

Citizen

Dioxine, the main developer of X-Piratez disappeared for a month now. Maybe he got laid and the mod development is over?

They'll find the mutilated body few days later, with words "You have some nerve thinking you can you use my terrain files" carved on his forehead. Modder drama: IRL edition

sser

Arcane
Developer
These anti-life cuts have zero anti-aliasing. Look here, see? Pure pixel. Pixel after pixel. The awful jaggedness of it. Who would do such a thing?

lightbane

Arcane
I have some good news: Allegedly, Dioxine is not dead yet. Merely taking a holiday week due still being butthurt about the whole Hobbes drama. More importantly, the 1.2 version of XCF is out! There's lot of new stuff such as the start of a new arc and even a new ship, but now the mod is considered a Master mod. This means that like Piratez, it's considered its own thing and many mods for vanilla Xcom1 won't work anymore. You can remedy this by editing the metadata file of XCF and set the "Mastermod" variable to "false".

How many mods for vanilla Xcom1 worked before? Gotta be an incredible small number considering the breadth of changes.

lightbane

Arcane
There are many. For example there was Poet's Smaller Rockets, that made small rockets for the rocket launcher actually useful, for one. Another useful one is Medikit can be used on yourself (does exactly what it says). Another one designed for XCF and now broken is Recruitment Office, which lets you recruit better agents to reduce book-keeping. Another one whose name escapes me now redesigns how Fatal Wounds work, so that being graced by a bullet doesn't have an agent spend 30 days on the hospital, the lazy asshat.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Is there a good polished mod like Final Mod Pack but for Terror from the Deep? No major changes, just expanded stuff.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom