Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Operencia: The Stolen Sun released on Steam and GOG

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Operencia: The Stolen Sun; Zen Studios

A year ago, Hungarian pinball developer Zen Studios released the lavish turn-based dungeon crawler Operencia: The Stolen Sun. Remarkably, despite being an Epic Games Store & Microsoft Store-exclusive, a decent number of our users pirated played the game and it managed to score fourth place in our 2019 GOTY ranking. That's a respectable achievement, so those of you who skipped it then might want to take a second look now that the exclusivity period is over. Zen have put together a new launch trailer for the occasion:

Operencia is available now on Steam and GOG for $30 with a 10% launch discount until next week.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andhaira

Arcane
It was good, but somewhat limited.

Might & Magic X: Legacy was better.

edited to correct game number

Last edited:

Mark Richard

Arcane
Operencia must be the most dialogue-heavy dungeon crawler ever made. Every 10 minutes characters halt to discuss their present predicament in painfully drawn-out cutscenes where they're desperate to get the last word in. Every time the topic has been resolved, every time someone delivers a snappy comeback, every time there's any sense of finality to the conversation... it keeps going. On several occasions I've physically leaned forward in my chair anticipating a natural break in the dialogue, only to get swerved, causing me to sit back with a groan. Watching the body language of a man being constantly tricked and dejected like this would provide endless amusement for an observer, and perhaps some poetic imagery regarding the nature of life itself.

Andhaira

Arcane
Operencia must be the most dialogue-heavy dungeon crawler ever made. Every 10 minutes characters halt to discuss their present predicament in painfully drawn-out cutscenes where they're desperate to get the last word in. Every time the topic has been resolved, every time someone delivers a snappy comeback, every time there's any sense of finality to the conversation... it keeps going. On several occasions I've physically leaned forward in my chair anticipating a natural break in the dialogue, only to get swerved, causing me to sit back with a groan. Watching the body language of a man being constantly tricked and dejected like this would provide endless amusement for an observer, and perhaps some poetic imagery regarding the nature of life itself.

Betrayal At Krondor was more dialogue and cutscene heavy

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

Betrayal At Krondor was more dialogue and cutscene heavy

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
MMX was pretty awesome except the part that it ran like shit. Have no idea why its reputation is so poor specially when there's so few games in that subgenre.

MMX is unfinished to this day. Still buggy and there are some shit design decisions like limiting the expert trainers for some skills to the later chapters of the game, making those magic schools a trap in the beginning. Also it completely reuses the assets from Homm6.
But I believe it mostly gets its flag because Limbic limb dicked out of Homm7 after getting that project when abandoning MMX. People hate Limbic, people hate all that Limbic made

For the record, I think MMX is fine. I didnt finish it but played a few dozen hours. Operencia is better, but both are not top of the genre. I would recommend both to fans of the subgenre, because there isnt much else to play.

Andhaira

Arcane
MMX was pretty awesome except the part that it ran like shit. Have no idea why its reputation is so poor specially when there's so few games in that subgenre.

MMX is unfinished to this day. Still buggy and there are some shit design decisions like limiting the expert trainers for some skills to the later chapters of the game, making those magic schools a trap in the beginning. Also it completely reuses the assets from Homm6.
But I believe it mostly gets its flag because Limbic limb dicked out of Homm7 after getting that project when abandoning MMX. People hate Limbic, people hate all that Limbic made

For the record, I think MMX is fine. I didnt finish it but played a few dozen hours. Operencia is better, but both are not top of the genre. I would recommend both to fans of the subgenre, because there isnt much else to play.

What about Bards Tale? How does it stack up?

RuySan

Augur

Bards Tale IV is pretty good for the first 10 hours. Interesting combat, character system and itemization. Amazing soundtrack and vibe. But it gets exhausting pretty fast.

There's a puzzle in every corner, and not only in dungeons. The open areas, between villages are all filled with puzzles, and makes one wonder how to people travel between villages. You can skip puzzles, but what's the point? Then the combat also becomes exhausting with samey fights between every other puzzles.

And the puzzles aren't even good, like in Grimrock 2 for example. They are the same kind over and over again.

The game technically is a mess. Slow and looks like shit. Operencia looks pretty good and runs buttery smooth. Which just proves that the average eastern european is smarter and underpaid compared to a fat overpaid american.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture

Bards Tale IV is pretty good for the first 10 hours. Interesting combat, character system and itemization. Amazing soundtrack and vibe. But it gets exhausting pretty fast.

There's a puzzle in every corner, and not only in dungeons. The open areas, between villages are all filled with puzzles, and makes one wonder how to people travel between villages. You can skip puzzles, but what's the point? Then the combat also becomes exhausting with samey fights between every other puzzles.

And the puzzles aren't even good, like in Grimrock 2 for example. They are the same kind over and over again.

The game technically is a mess. Slow and looks like shit. Operencia looks pretty good and runs buttery smooth. Which just proves that the average eastern european is smarter and underpaid compared to a fat overpaid american.

I mostly agree. It has so much aggravating stuff it hides it's mostly good content behind. Character building is fun, but your units can only take 4 different skills into battle or sth retarded like that. Makes certain level ups really unrewarding when it turns out that that one skilltree wasn't as good and now all the active skills aren't worth a slot on your hotbar. Itemisation is ok, but the inventory gets spammed with literal garbage for their mediocre crafting system, and there is no way to really manage it well. Also you need the garbage crafting system to make stuff like climbing hooks for extra treasure.

It is like reading a book from an author who has good ideas but garbage prose, I hate every second of it and read it very slowly, but I won't stop because it is fascinating in a way.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom